Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what's the consensus; waiver at either UConn or StJohns, waiver at UConn but not St.John's, or no waiver either way

Call me an *******, but I don't think anyone should be granted a family hardship waiver if you don't choose a school in your home state. There are at least 5 D1 colleges in Connecticut closer than St Johns.

Reaction Score
What if his family lived in Stamford and he wanted to transfer to Iona? State lines are arbitrary in this case.

True. But the point still stands that there are at least 5 D1 colleges closer to New Haven/Waterbury than St Johns.

Also, Fairfield is still closer to Stamford than Iona. :p

Reaction Score
Call me an *******, but I don't think anyone should be granted a family hardship waiver if you don't choose a school in your home state. There are at least 5 D1 colleges in Connecticut closer than St Johns.
I dont see how the waiver gets approved if he does in fact go to St. John's

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
True. But the point still stands that there are at least 5 D1 colleges closer to New Haven/Waterbury than St Johns.

Also, Fairfield is still closer to Stamford than Iona. :p

I mean, what's the difference between and 1 hr and 1.5hrs in the grand scheme of things? It's close to go home and for the mom to watch games. Kid's gotta get the right fit for him too.

Reaction Score
I just think it opens the door for waiver abuse. How close does a school have to be for it to be acceptable? I'm not saying that's what this young man is doing, but I'd rather see specific rules in place regarding this kind of matter.

Reaction Score
Why? It is still very close to her home in CT.
debatable, out of state is out of state is the point, its not about exact distance. There are plenty of D1 options in CT that would serve him right and still be close to his family. Would be good to see some guidelines on these waivers.

Reaction Score
As a NJ kid who didn't even consider applying to Rutgers I can respect his determination to not attend his state school no matter what. I like him a lot as a player and maybe he could help St John's take a major step but I don't really see how in a rational sense St. John's is a better option than UConn other than the fact that they have the schollie open.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I just think it opens the door for waiver abuse. How close does a school have to be for it to be acceptable? I'm not saying that's what this young man is doing, but I'd rather see specific rules in place regarding this kind of matter.

You can't fake an illness. UConn and St. John's are about the same distance-wise from West Haven, so I don't see why that would be a problem either.

Reaction Score
Would be good to see some guidelines on these waivers.

Is there some kind of evidence that there aren't guidelines? That the NCAA receives the request and they just stamp it "ACCEPTED" without looking because they have no way to decide?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You can't fake an illness. UConn and St. John's are about the same distance-wise from West Haven, so I don't see why that would be a problem either.
Wanna bet? I don't think the parent's ability to attend games is what the ncaa looks at, rather proximity to home for purposes of visiting/assisting said ill parent. So state lines don't matter as much as physical distance, and I can recall some transfers that put a player closer to home but still a state or two away. Like SEC players going back to the west coast.

Reaction Score
Is there some kind of evidence that there aren't guidelines? That the NCAA receives the request and they just stamp it "ACCEPTED" without looking because they have no way to decide?

Pretty sure it's a case by case decision and guidelines don't exist. And let's not pretend the NCAA isn't biased/corrupt. They are the FIFA of college basketball.

Reaction Score

That's really your rule? So a kid from San Francisco can get a waiver to San Diego State hundreds of miles away, but a kid from West Haven couldn't get a waiver to go to Iona 50 miles away?

You need a better plan. Using state lines for it is bizarre.

Reaction Score
EVERY coach loses players from their own state/area - just ask JC
I think a lot if times this is really simple. A kid wants to go away from home to college. See new places, meet new people. In the case of a future NBA prospect, maybe get away from old " friends" who become leeches. Part of the college experience is leaving home. I don't think it is a big deal if homegrown talent does not want to stay in Connecticut.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
debatable, out of state is out of state is the point, its not about exact distance. There are plenty of D1 options in CT that would serve him right and still be close to his family. Would be good to see some guidelines on these waivers.

In this case, there's really only one basketball-wise. And what if that school isn't the right fit in general?

It's not like the transfer waiver should require purgatory at some 4th tier D1 school.

Really, I don't know why the state has anything to do with it. Pretty arbitrary. I mean, a kid can go to school at UCSD and have parents in San Fran if that's the case. That's like an 8 hr drive.

EDIT: unintentionally used the exact same state and cities as @businesslawyer. kinda funny

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's really your rule? So a kid from San Francisco can get a waiver to San Diego State hundreds of miles away, but a kid from West Haven couldn't get a waiver to go to Iona 50 miles away?

You need a better plan. Using state lines for it is bizarre.

Again...it doesn't change the fact that there are at least 5 D1 colleges closer to Waterbury/New Haven than St Johns. Try to keep up.

Reaction Score
To me this is no big deal. Yes he is good but this is just something that popped up. Let him go to St Johns, who cares. Mullins and Ollie sounds like a comedy team. They should have a podcast. "The Mullins and Ollie hour" How to make a mess of a top tier basketball program.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Again...it doesn't change the fact that there are at least 5 D1 colleges closer to Waterbury/New Haven than St Johns. Try to keep up.

Surely, absolute closest isn't the only factor. Again, what's the difference between 1 hr and 1.5hrs with regards to the issue at hand? Nothing.

Fit for the kid is also important. I mean, if his only choices were Quinnipiac or SJU, surely you wouldn't expect him to sacrifice potential basketball future to get the absolute closest distance to mom as possible. There's such thing as close enough.

Reaction Score
Seriously, a sick mom waiver? I know people will say a concussion is serious and since one of my kids does concussion research at BU I know that it is, but the sick mom waiver is meant for people in life threatening situations, where the kid might not see the parent again, or needs to help out wth care. Stuff like that. Not mom can’t travel to the games. Get the sports package and a good tv.

Reaction Score

What is your proposed rule? Does it have to be "the closest" institution regardless of the level of basketball? One of the three closest? Miles based?

You proposed an in-state, out-of-state test. If you have a better proposal I'm all ears. I would point out, however, that telling me to keep up is not a proposed plan.

Reaction Score
Whether it's state lines/hometown radius/how many colleges within a specific distance, there should be some set of guidelines in place. Not having that in place is asking for unfairness/bias/corruption.

Pretty sure that if he chooses BC or Maryland (both of which are apparently recruiting him) and is granted a waiver, most of you here would not be too pleased.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Wanna bet? I don't think the parent's ability to attend games is what the ncaa looks at, rather proximity to home for purposes of visiting/assisting said ill parent. So state lines don't matter as much as physical distance, and I can recall some transfers that put a player closer to home but still a state or two away. Like SEC players going back to the west coast.

St. John's is 73 miles away from West Haven, and UConn is 66 miles. I have no idea why you responded to me with that post considering they're both almost the exact same distance from his mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom