Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd say he took over a veteran group (DeAndre and Boat had only played two seasons between them at that point, both of which were fractured for different reasons), but I take your point. It was a team of self-driven guys, most of whom had played for Calhoun. I still give Ollie a lot of credit for that championship as well, but it's fair to say he's unproven at running a program in all aspects.

With Mullin, there might be some ancillary evidence that his current trajectory is unsustainable, but the trajectory still is what it is and I'm willing to keep an open mind on him until he proves incapable of managing actual talent. The victories over Duke and Nova last year bought him at least another season, even if the retention issues you mentioned need to be resolved.
I don't know if I'd say he took over a veteran group (DeAndre and Boat had only played two seasons between them at that point, both of which were fractured for different reasons), but I take your point. It was a team of self-driven guys, most of whom had played for Calhoun. I still give Ollie a lot of credit for that championship as well, but it's fair to say he's unproven at running a program in all aspects.

With Mullin, there might be some ancillary evidence that his current trajectory is unsustainable, but the trajectory still is what it is and I'm willing to keep an open mind on him until he proves incapable of managing actual talent. The victories over Duke and Nova last year bought him at least another season, even if the retention issues you mentioned need to be resolved.
Ollie is “unproven” in running a program. Wow! Just Wow.

Mullins got the Johnnies job to sell a few tickets. Hiring a former star player with little or no coaching experience is rarely a successful move. Both Mullin and Ollie are fine examples.

Reaction Score
If UConn had a lax team heron could take one of those ships and then walk onto the basketball team...

No. It doesn't work that way. A scholarship athlete in a non-revenue sport can't walk on to the football or basketball teams.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Moral high ground has nothing to do with it. This is about not wanting to call one of your own guys into your office and tell him to start packing three months in advance of the fall semester. They're not stocks.

As I said, I'd much rather them pay players under the table than continue to authorize the most corrupt organization in sports. UConn sent a pretty clear message a couple months ago about where their allegiances fall and it's not with anybody not making them money.

Most of them aren't Hurley's guys.

And there's no question Heron would be a nice upgrade to the roster.

Reaction Score
Visiting SJU today, tentative visit to BC this weekend. He will commit today though.

BC? That makes no sense whatsoever. I'm in WesMass on the way up to BC and still at least 90 minutes short and close to the same from West Haven. To almost have put himself into the draft and then suddenly willing to sit out a year is so damn strange.

Oh well, next.

Reaction Score
If he goes BC and gets a waiver, I'm about certain this board will implode (rightfully so).

Reaction Score
Mullin is an awful coach.

He’s further exposed by the fact that he has surrounded himself with equally poor staffers - Mitch Richmond and Greg St. Jean are clueless.

Roster turnover, impressively inept in-game performance, losses by the bushel - Mullin will be on a bar stool next to Ollie by this time next year.

I agree with all of this.

The funny thing about coaching is that merely having been a great player doesn't make you a great (or even competent) coach. Ted Williams often spoke of his high level of frustration he endured when he managed the Washington Senators. There are some notable exceptions, of course. Larry Bird and Tom Heinsohn (NBA), Steve Alford and Bobby Hurley (NCAA), and Tony Gwynn (NCAA) and Joe Torre and Don Mattingly (MLB) were outstanding players who went on to some coaching success. It seems to me that the elite coaches/managers, if they played at all, were grinders. Bobby Knight, and Coach K (and Coach Calhoun, for that matter) were all average college players who found greatness with a whistle. Here's hoping that Dan Hurley is destined to join them.

With regard to Heron, he is an outstanding college player who would immediately become our second best player. Nevertheless, I am not fond of the idea of freeing up a scholarship to get him. Also, I am suspicious of (1) how he got to Auburn in the first place and (2) of why he now wants to leave. I will say that he has been an unbelievable role model for kids in the Waterbury (CT) area. He does clinics and spends a great deal of time with our young people.

I imagine that the "I want to be nearer to home" excuse for the waiver might play more if he was actually in CT, but....who knows?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
If he goes BC and gets a waiver, I'm about certain this board will implode (rightfully so).

Why? The point of allowing hardship waivers isn't to drive kids to UConn. To think there isn't a difference in how often he could visit his Mom at BC compared to Auburn is just really dumb.

Reaction Score
A few things here,
  1. Mom is legit sick but also he wants more shots and wont happen next year.
  2. Didn't get an invite to combine and legit thought he would. Got advice from a few teams that what he needs to work on.
  3. He is not interested in the AAC, never really considered UConn, however doesn't matter because...
  4. UConn has no scholarships and Hurley is not interested in creating one. Only way for him to come here is if he doesnt play basketball for a year and transfer in next year, Juco route. Its not feesible.
  5. He has been in contact with St. John's for a while now and will end up there for sure.
  6. Any other school mentioned he isn't really interested in, but in case something happens with St. Johns needs to look at all options.
I wish him the best and hope he gets the waiver and can play next year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
A few things here,
  2. Didn't get an invite to combine and legit thought he would. Got advice from a few teams that what he needs to work on.
  3. He is not interested in the AAC, never really considered UConn, however doesn't matter because...
  4. UConn has no scholarships and Hurley is not interested in creating one. Only way for him to come here is if he doesnt play basketball for a year and transfer in next year, Juco route. Its not feesible.
  5. He has been in contact with St. John's for a while now and will end up there for sure.
  6. Any other school mentioned he isn't really interested in, but in case something happens with St. Johns needs to look at all options.
Then why did UConn reach out to him if they don't want to make room for him and he has never had interest here?

Reaction Score
Then why did UConn reach out to him if they don't want to make room for him and he has never had interest here?

I can't tell you why they reached out to him I am just going by what Hurley said last night. Nope he never really had any interest in playing int he AAC like most Top 25 players coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
A few things here,
He's not getting more shots at St. John's next year either though. Ponds is going to chuck, rightfully so, plus Justin Simon and Mikey Dixon. I bet he starts but won't be the star. Apparently he's going to meet with Tyson Wheeler from Fairfield tomorrow, I'd be happy to see him there

Reaction Score
A few things here,
Mullin will do anything he can to get him to St John's. His job probably depends on it. He'll promise the world

Reaction Score
If players like Heron aren't giving us a look because of the conference, when he grew up in Connecticut, then that's not good. And I know that's not a recent development as it relates to Heron, but much of Hurley's appeal is predicated on his being able to deliver some of the regional players - even if it's one guy every three years - that Ollie didn't. For as bad of a job as Ollie did, people would have felt a lot better about it if he had better players. If Hurley's choosing from the same pool of players Ollie did his last couple classes, he'll have to coach his tail off to see the round of 32.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it's a case by case decision and guidelines don't exist. And let's not pretend the NCAA isn't biased/corrupt. They are the FIFA of college basketball.

You are so right. Just look at Jessica Shepherd and Sid Wilson as prime examples.........

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We won’t make a scholarship so we’re not an option, simple as that.

Reaction Score
He's not getting more shots at St. John's next year either though. Ponds is going to chuck, rightfully so, plus Justin Simon and Mikey Dixon. I bet he starts but won't be the star. Apparently he's going to meet with Tyson Wheeler from Fairfield tomorrow, I'd be happy to see him there

No interest in playing in the AAC, but he's meeting with Fairfield? And they're in what league?

Reaction Score
I'd redshirt Whaley, give him a year to bulk up and work on his game if you don't want to run anyone off.

Reaction Score
Every 4 pages someone mentions the Drummond situation its like clockwork. He was a for sure first rounder and so he could take on the risk of needing to pay off his college tuition because he was a year away from being a millionaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom