WNBA draft thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i felt awful for Kizer. she was invited to draft day cuz they thought she'd go in the 1st round. gotta feel for the poor kid. wasn't baugh there too? that's rough for them to sit thru all that.

you know, i'm not sure that the "problem" with Maryland kids in the WNBA is that they don't get "developed". i think that's a bit of an urban legend. Coleman and Tolliver have done pretty well in the WNBA, haven't they? they scored a lot in college, and have done well enough in the pros, no? what players has Freese specifically NOT developed who had mediocre college careers but went on to have great pro careers?

to me that's the sign of players not developed properly. Kids like Anosike or even Houston or MacLaren who had lackluster college careers but who have lit it up either in the pros, or in Euroleagues. I think it's more fair to point to them and say they weren't developed to the best of their abilities in college. sort of playing devil's advocate. just sayin... ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
With respect McLaren, how good is the Israeli league she plays in? Is the competition as good as in the NCAA? Honest question- I have no idea what the answer is.

Charde has been a "good numbers on a crappy team" kind of a player. With her and Geno, it was never about her basketball ability so much as her ability to play within his team concept. Geno just wasn't going to bend on that.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
With respect McLaren, how good is the Israeli league she plays in? Is the competition as good as in the NCAA? Honest question- I have no idea what the answer is.

The Israeli league is considered an easier league. It is where American players go to put up gaudy offensive numbers.

Reaction Score
wow for a school that "can't develop their players" TN sure racked up today. 3 players in top 10 and four overall is pretty dang impressive- by any standard. kudos to pat for helping these young ladies go to the next level. they just didn't have team chemistry..never did really. glad tiffany is in atlanta. good fit for her.

Reaction Score
i felt awful for Kizer. she was invited to draft day cuz they thought she'd go in the 1st round. gotta feel for the poor kid. wasn't baugh there too? that's rough for them to sit thru all that.
That happened to Charde, too, when she was drafted, remember? She was there for the draft day show and ended up going in the third round. Ketia wasn't invited and was drafted in round 1.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
wow for a school that "can't develop their players" TN sure racked up today. 3 players in top 10 and four overall is pretty dang impressive- by any standard. kudos to pat for helping these young ladies go to the next level. they just didn't have team chemistry..never did really. glad tiffany is in atlanta. good fit for her.

Dang impressive? The professionals think that UT's talent is 3 of the top 10, and 4 overall, and you think a complete absence of Final Four appearances indicate that the UT coaching staff develops their players? And, by the way, it's Pat, not pat. Ay-yi-yi!

Reaction Score

Yeah Cain developed so well in that atmosphere she announced that she was retiring/foregoing her remaining eligibility because of "chronic injuries" ... only to end up playing internationally, and now possibly in the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

you know, i'm not sure that the "problem" with Maryland kids in the WNBA is that they don't get "developed". i think that's a bit of an urban legend. Coleman and Tolliver have done pretty well in the WNBA, haven't they? they scored a lot in college, and have done well enough in the pros, no? what players has Freese specifically NOT developed who had mediocre college careers but went on to have great pro careers?

to me that's the sign of players not developed properly. Kids like Anosike or even Houston or MacLaren who had lackluster college careers but who have lit it up either in the pros, or in Euroleagues. I think it's more fair to point to them and say they weren't developed to the best of their abilities in college. sort of playing devil's advocate. just sayin... ;)
I think Langhorne is the best pro from Maryland. She was an All-Star and Team USA invitee. She averaged 18.2 ppg last year and 12.7 ppg over her career. With Beard gone to L.A., Lang is the key player for the Mystics.

Toliver averaged 11.2 ppg last year and 9.2 ppg over her career. She has offensive skills.

Coleman may be the most versatile of the group, though she has had some trouble finding her role. She averaged 8.6 ppg last year and 7.1 for her career. With Beard gone, she should get more scoring opportunities (though Alana didn't play last year). Matee needs to pass the ball.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
Yeah Cain developed so well in that atmosphere she announced that she was retiring/foregoing her remaining eligibility because of "chronic injuries" ... only to end up playing internationally, and now possibly in the WNBA.

This has been discussed frequently on the Summitt, but those of you who do not frequent our board may not know.

Kelley struggled with hip and back issues a majority of her time at UT. She never got any time off with the offseason regimen of conditioning and the off-season basketball league created in recent years (she participated willingly).

She finished her studies and determined that her best course of action was to rest her body for a long period of time. She had already used her medical redshirt year, and the best course of action was to leave the team.

She stayed in Knoxville and rested all through the summer and fall. She then felt good enough to give it a shot overseas. She did well enough there to give the WNBA a shot.

Her leaving the team had ZERO to do with the staff, the program, or the other players. It was all about getting healthy and focusing on her future. I'll admit, we all thought she'd never play again after seeing her limp off the court so many times, but so far her body has held up to the rigors of professional basketball.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Makes me wonder if Caroline is encouraged about her own draft prospects. Hope so!

Not looking to stir anything up, but does anyone seriously think Doty has a shot at the WNBA?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Charde has been a "good numbers on a crappy team" kind of a player. With her and Geno, it was never about her basketball ability so much as her ability to play within his team concept. Geno just wasn't going to bend on that.

I think this may be Houston's last year in the WNBA unless she can get her head straightened out - and yes with Houston I think it's all about her head.

Reaction Score
This has been discussed frequently on the Summitt, but those of you who do not frequent our board may not know.

Kelley struggled with hip and back issues a majority of her time at UT. She never got any time off with the offseason regimen of conditioning and the off-season basketball league created in recent years (she participated willingly).

She finished her studies and determined that her best course of action was to rest her body for a long period of time. She had already used her medical redshirt year, and the best course of action was to leave the team.

She stayed in Knoxville and rested all through the summer and fall. She then felt good enough to give it a shot overseas. She did well enough there to give the WNBA a shot.

Her leaving the team had ZERO to do with the staff, the program, or the other players. It was all about getting healthy and focusing on her future. I'll admit, we all thought she'd never play again after seeing her limp off the court so many times, but so far her body has held up to the rigors of professional basketball.

+1000000000 thank you for interjecting actual facts. kelley cain loves TN and pat summitt to DEATH.

Reaction Score
Dang impressive? The professionals think that UT's talent is 3 of the top 10, and 4 overall, and you think a complete absence of Final Four appearances indicate that the UT coaching staff develops their players? And, by the way, it's Pat, not pat. Ay-yi-yi!

i was wondering what spin would be given on this... thank you for answering that. two separate issues----as players they are very developed (OBVIOUSLY, or they would not be top 10 picks)...and if you followed the lady vols you would know just how much glory and strick have grown. as a team, they did not have the right chemistry. it happens. period.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this may be Houston's last year in the WNBA unless she can get her head straightened out - and yes with Houston I think it's all about her head.
Let's see how she fits in with Phoenix. Their style of play may be very good for Charde. She'll need to listen to Diana.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
i was wondering what spin would be given on this... thank you for answering that. two separate issues----as players they are very developed (OBVIOUSLY, or they would not be top 10 picks)...and if you followed the lady vols you would know just how much glory and strick have grown. as a team, they did not have the right chemistry. it happens. period.

This sounds to me like spin or excuse-making. Please explain what you mean by not having the "right chemistry." These players had 3-4 years to work on it. What went wrong?

Reaction Score
This sounds to me like spin or excuse-making. Please explain what you mean by not having the "right chemistry." These players had 3-4 years to work on it. What went wrong?

not sure what you mean----they are excellent individual players who didn't do well as a team. how is that even debatable? being a fan from a rival doesn't mean that you check your brain at the door.

Reaction Score
Not looking to stir anything up, but does anyone seriously think Doty has a shot at the WNBA?

Highly doubtful.

Her only chance would be if she's still recovering and she comes back next year a lot healthier. Kind of like how Shea did her junior year after a disappointing soph year. But the probability of that doesn't seem high.

Unfortunately the injuries have just taken too much away from her quickness and lift to compete at the next level.

Reaction Score
Highly doubtful.

Her only chance would be if she's still recovering and she comes back next year a lot healthier. Kind of like how Shea did her junior year after a disappointing soph year. But the probability of that doesn't seem high.

Unfortunately the injuries have just taken too much away from her quickness and lift to compete at the next level.

anything is possible....she may be able to sneak in a 3rd round pick or go to training camp. she's a lot like taber spani...they are both great players who have really been beat up.

Reaction Score
not sure what you mean----they are excellent individual players who didn't do well as a team. how is that even debatable? being a fan from a rival doesn't mean that you check your brain at the door.

Charming.
You represent your team well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Okay. Let's try again: why do you think this team of "excellent" players didn't do well as a team? Surely you can say more than the vague "lack of chemistry." What does that even mean? Did they not like each other? Did they play out of position? Why couldn't the coaches get them to play better as a team? Isn't that what coaching is all about?

Reaction Score
Okay. Let's try again: why do you think this team of "excellent" players didn't do well as a team? Surely you can say more than the vague "lack of chemistry." What does that even mean? Did they not like each other? Did they play out of position? Why couldn't the coaches get them to play better as a team? Isn't that what coaching and teamwork is all about?

um...i didn't just fall off the tuna truck...i am not getting baited into a discussion that bashes the coaches.
sorry if my original explanation(s) don't cut it for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom