WNBA draft thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
i was wondering what spin would be given on this... thank you for answering that. two separate issues----as players they are very developed (OBVIOUSLY, or they would not be top 10 picks)...and if you followed the lady vols you would know just how much glory and strick have grown. as a team, they did not have the right chemistry. it happens. period.
I agree that Glory matured significantly over the course of her career, including even over the course of her senior season. However Stricklen was and continued to be a big part of the problem. She just did not seem to want to exert her will onto winnable games. She's a big, versatile player, but her conditioning, leadership, intensity, and mental toughness, were are all questionable, IMO. I wish her the best at the next level because she has all the tools, but I am not sold on her at all.

If I were a WNBA GM (God help me) I would definitely take a chance on Glory, but not on Stricklen.

Reaction Score
I agree that Glory matured significantly over the course of her career, including even over the course of her senior. However Stricklen was and continued to be a big part of the problem. She just did not seem to want to exert her will onto winnable games. She's a big, versatile player, but her conditioning, leadership, intensity, and mental toughness, were are all questionable, IMO. I wish her the best at the next level because she has all the tools, but I am not sold on her at all.

hey you...i totally agree. i love strick but her mental toughness was a huge part of our team's ups and downs. her smile and skills are amazing but there is a real question whether she has the drive to lead a team. still one of my fav LV players ever.

that being said, i would have taken glory as 2 pick over peters or strick.....however, i am super glad glory went to tulsa where she can play with the 4th lady vol picked today-vickie baugh. they will both get to play a lot on that team.

Reaction Score
I agree that Glory matured significantly over the course of her career, including even over the course of her senior season. However Stricklen was and continued to be a big part of the problem. She just did not seem to want to exert her will onto winnable games. She's a big, versatile player, but her conditioning, leadership, intensity, and mental toughness, were are all questionable, IMO. I wish her the best at the next level because she has all the tools, but I am not sold on her at all.

If I were a WNBA GM (God help me) I would definitely take a chance on Glory, but not on Stricklen.

ps. and any lady vol fan will tell you glory johnson was the heart of the team...to me, she is second to catchings in my fav lady vols to ever play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Okay. Let's try again: why do you think this team of "excellent" players didn't do well as a team? Surely you can say more than the vague "lack of chemistry." What does that even mean? Did they not like each other? Did they play out of position? Why couldn't the coaches get them to play better as a team? Isn't that what coaching is all about?
personally i think "lack of chemistry" is just an excuse (perhaps a valid one) when a team of talented players under performs. Tennessee's problem IMHO (i'm just a hack so what do i know) was that they had too many players who were too similar and not enough diversity. add to that a freshman PG and a quartet of centers who transferred out or quit the team (albeit for health reasons) and voila (Cain, Gray, Dupree, Brewer).

on top of that, i don't think Spani was healthy for the year, and while Williams is really only good enough to be a reserve, she was missed too. i actually think Tennessee woulda been much more of a lock for the final 4 if Cain was healthy and Brewer stayed, but shoulda, woulda, coulda. UCONN wins 2 more NC's if not for injuries and 3 more if EDD decides to come to UCONN. :mad:

i think the "chemistry" has to do with too many players with similar strengths and similar weaknesses. No talented height at the 5 spot this year. Baugh and Johnson are similar energizers and rebounders but mostly around the basket. Tennessee was tied for 17th in FG% this year. on paper, that seems pretty good, but when you consider none of the final 4 teams were outside #8, it's simply not good enough. and with out bigger rebounders, the old style of crashing the O-boards didn't work.

Field goal defense, Tennessee was... wait for it... #75. that's right. so for a team that is sometimes offensively challenged, and relies on its' defense, it just wasn't there. as evidenced by Stanford putting up almost 100 points on them in the blowout win.

If these kids who left and were drafted are as good as Tennessee fans want to think, then they are in for a world of trouble next year. the coaches can't miraculously teach offense in 1 year. but i will admit the games i watched, i saw more offensive movement than i've seen from their teams in the past (same for RU). and i'd say Glory, Shekinna and Vicki were better defensively than the players who most likely will be replacing them (Burdick, Graves, and Spani). a starting lineup of Ariel, Meighan, Taber, and Burdick/Graves/Harrison is certainly not a better defensive team than they had this past year.

we are starting to see polls for preseason putting Tennessee out of the top 10. i could easily see them in the 12-15 range and they may well be the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC next year. it's gonna be a rough time if you are a tennessee fan...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Cain started playing in Turkey in January. She certainly could have been in a post-grad program, sat out the 1st half of the season, and contributed to the second half. A healthy Cain might have made a difference in seeding and they could have avoided Baylor.

It certainly was an option, but she chose to rehab away from Tennessee and play overseas. Not making anything out of it. I'm sure she thinks the world of Summitt and the Lady Vol program. I have seen this option summarily dismissed out of hand. But it was an option.

Reaction Score
The talent that was recognized in high school was recognized by the pro draft. The failure to get to a Final Four has to be due to poor team construction and poor coaching. How could you come to any other conclusion?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
not sure what you mean----they are excellent individual players who didn't do well as a team. how is that even debatable? being a fan from a rival doesn't mean that you check your brain at the door.
It might behoove you to remember you're a visitor here so you should be on your best manners. It's shocking to me that you've accused Cat, one of our most thoughtful and cerebral (not to mention knowledgeable) posters of "checking [her] brain at the door". Perhaps it was you that left your civility there. Please locate it before posting again.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
um...i didn't just fall off the tuna truck...i am not getting baited into a discussion that bashes the coaches.
sorry if my original explanation(s) don't cut it for ya.
What explanation?

Reaction Score
personally i think "lack of chemistry" is just an excuse (perhaps a valid one) when a team of talented players under performs. Tennessee's problem IMHO (i'm just a hack so what do i know) was that they had too many players who were too similar and not enough diversity. add to that a freshman PG and a quartet of centers who transferred out or quit the team (albeit for health reasons) and voila (Cain, Gray, Dupree, Brewer).

on top of that, i don't think Spani was healthy for the year, and while Williams is really only good enough to be a reserve, she was missed too. i actually think Tennessee woulda been much more of a lock for the final 4 if Cain was healthy and Brewer stayed, but shoulda, woulda, coulda. UCONN wins 2 more NC's if not for injuries and 3 more if EDD decides to come to UCONN. :mad:

i think the "chemistry" has to do with too many players with similar strengths and similar weaknesses. No talented height at the 5 spot this year. Baugh and Johnson are similar energizers and rebounders but mostly around the basket. Tennessee was tied for 17th in FG% this year. on paper, that seems pretty good, but when you consider none of the final 4 teams were outside #8, it's simply not good enough. and with out bigger rebounders, the old style of crashing the O-boards didn't work.

Field goal defense, Tennessee was... wait for it... #75. that's right. so for a team that is sometimes offensively challenged, and relies on its' defense, it just wasn't there. as evidenced by Stanford putting up almost 100 points on them in the blowout win.

If these kids who left and were drafted are as good as Tennessee fans want to think, then they are in for a world of trouble next year. the coaches can't miraculously teach offense in 1 year. but i will admit the games i watched, i saw more offensive movement than i've seen from their teams in the past (same for RU). and i'd say Glory, Shekinna and Vicki were better defensively than the players who most likely will be replacing them (Burdick, Graves, and Spani). a starting lineup of Ariel, Meighan, Taber, and Burdick/Graves/Harrison is certainly not a better defensive team than they had this past year.

we are starting to see polls for preseason putting Tennessee out of the top 10. i could easily see them in the 12-15 range and they may well be the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC next year. it's gonna be a rough time if you are a tennessee fan...

i agree with parts of that.....injuries have devastated the lady vols. they happen to all teams though. i def don't think TN falls to 3rd or 4th in sec though. that might be wishful thinking. lol it will be another year of TN/KY battling it out. we will miss the seniors but only glory played well consistently. i am actually excited that the newer lady vols are taking over. simmons and spani could take us really far. spani was our best player this year until she went out. also, i think our #1 class from this year will have lots to say about where we end up.

Reaction Score

I missed the draft! Reading the posts and having a chance to look at everything. One cannot look at the draft and not have Tenn as an ongoing subject of discussion! Stricland #2,Johnson#4,Cain#7,Baugh3rd RD. Add Manning do not see her drafted, As far as TN this year FR #3Ariel,Burdick#4,#29 Harrison,Simmons,Williams,Taber,Bass add others on the team the 3 previous years. It is a story that this team did not get to the Final Four during these 4 years. Yes injuries,transfers,Pats conditon exhisting prior to this year,we are still left with issues that Eric has brought up too many similar players,pg issues,chemistry though no one really states that there were problems there,FG defense,offense issues etal The fact is it is still amazing what did not happen during the 4 years. The future is certainly unclear right now! You add Graves #5,Carter#20 and #39 Jones along with the returning players Williams,Simmons,Taber,and the 3 SOS Ariel,Burdick,Harrisson unable to add a slew of coming in FR who said no to TN,struggling to get JC players,2013 Elite David decommitting and no one else to this point verballing there are alot of questions there for the 2012-2013 season and after. No one likes to say it,but it is likely to be a mess until Pat decides to retire! Then there is the issues of who replaces her. A real mess with no end in sight!
as Eric has talked about pre pre season polls have TN out of the top 10! Plenty of scholarships available but as of now no takers! Davis opening up her recruiting after a slew of 2012 and 2013 future elite players visiting with Davis and seperately took the situation to a new level!
As for the draft I think a # of teams did well for themselves LA,Seattle,Minnesota,Phoenix,Atl, and a few others! LA got lucky as the Spurs did years ago when Robinson was hurt and they ended up with Duncan! I wish Tiff the best in Atl joing a team which played for the Championship the last 2 years!
Last thought I was so HAPPY to hear that Geno was at the draft with Tiff and her mother!

Reaction Score
It might behoove you to remember you're a visitor here so you should be on your best manners. It's shocking to me that you've accused Cat, one of our most thoughtful and cerebral (not to mention knowledgeable) posters of "checking [her] brain at the door". Perhaps it was you that left your civility there. Please locate it before posting again.
i was referring to myself. have i found enough "civility" ?

Reaction Score
Cain started playing in Turkey in January. She certainly could have been in a post-grad program, sat out the 1st half of the season, and contributed to the second half. A healthy Cain might have made a difference in seeding and they could have avoided Baylor.

It certainly was an option, but she chose to rehab away from Tennessee and play overseas. Not making anything out of it. I'm sure she thinks the world of Summitt and the Lady Vol program. I have seen this option summarily dismissed out of hand. But it was an option.

yeah she was hurting badly. played one summer game in knox and couldn't walk for days. big girl with big injuries. wish her the best.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

A lot of merit to all of this. I'd also suggest the coaches excerbated some of the issues by constantly switching up the rotation. If I were Vicki Baugh, Meghan Simmons, or Alicia Manning, I would have been very confused as to what my role on the team was supposed to be/perceived to be. Taber Spani was hampered by injury, but she may well also have been hampered by this same issue upon her return. Add to that Stricklen's mecurial nature and all of the issues Eric posted regarding ill-fitting/redundant pieces, and you have a recipe for a team not being equal to the sum of its component parts.

Reaction Score
A lot of merit to all of this. I'd also suggest the coaches excerbated some of the issues by constantly switching up the rotation. If I were Vicki Baugh, Meghan Simmons, or Alicia Manning, I would have been very confused as to what my role on the team was supposed to be/perceived to be. Taber Spani was hampered by injury, but she may well also have been hampered by this same issue upon her return. Add to that Stricklen's mecurial nature and all of the issues Eric posted regarding ill-fitting/redundant pieces, and you have a recipe for a team not being equal to the sum of its component parts.

agreed but keeping in mind that injuries have changed how our team could rotate players.....
trust me...you won't see me endorsing our rotations from this last year

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Thank you for your kind words, Nan. Just to be clear, my questions to this poster were based on a belief that s/he could provide a Tennessee fan's insight into what exactly did go wrong with this talented group of players. I remember posting during Johnson's and Stricklen's freshman year (before the Ball State fiasco) that I thought they'd challenge for national championships before their college careers were finished. In any event, I think Eric and Alex have offered some thoughtful posts on this subject.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your kind words, Nan. Just to be clear, my questions to this poster were based on a belief that s/he could provide a Tennessee fan's insight into what exactly did go wrong with this talented group of players. I remember posting during Johnson's and Stricklen's freshman year (before the Ball State fiasco) that I thought they'd challenge for national championships before their college careers were finished. In any event, I think Eric and Alex have offered some thoughtful posts on this subject.

well i think their coach having a terminal illness which forced her to sit in her chair for an entire season might have had a little to do with it? right?

that issue combined with a group of personalities that did not have a leader. that's really all anyone could tell you.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
can we change the subject line of this thread...geesh!

"TN's Kelley Cain, SS & Glory all get picked in the 2012 WNBA Draft... lets discuss"

Reaction Score
Highly doubtful.

Her only chance would be if she's still recovering and she comes back next year a lot healthier. Kind of like how Shea did her junior year after a disappointing soph year. But the probability of that doesn't seem high.

Unfortunately the injuries have just taken too much away from her quickness and lift to compete at the next level.

I agree completely. I really like Caroline and what she does for this team, but the odds of her having a career in the WNBA (or even being drafted) are very slim, barring a miraculous season next year.

Reaction Score
Anybody else chuckle at the thought of Diana and Prahalis on the same team? :D

Reaction Score
how prahalis went before 10 other people i will never know...including hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads