WNBA draft thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, this class is pretty
It's also an indication of how relatively weak the draft is. after all, i think most expect Baugh and Manning to be drafted too. in fact, IIRC, Baugh was also invited along with Stricklen and Johnson, so the expectation is she will go in the 1st round.
weak overall. But still, now with Cain, Stricklen, Johnson and possibly Baugh and Manning all drafted...doesn't speak very highly of Tennessee the past four years.

Reaction Score
Novasel #8? Again, I wouldn't take her over Tiff. She won't be able to do what she does in college against pros. And Tiff is much quicker with a better shot, IMO.

This is also a Washington team whose coach posted a picture of herself online with a whiteboard of all the free agents she was going after and who she wanted to draft about 3 months ago. This is a poorly run program.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
On a side note, does anyone think Kelly Faris could be drafted next year? If I were a team I would love to have her, but I know offensively she might not be a hot commodity.

Reaction Score
On a side note, does anyone think Kelly Faris could be drafted next year? If I were a team I would love to have her, but I know offensively she might not be a hot commodity.
Somebody will use a second-rounder on her for sure.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
yeah, a little surprising, but she is a much better passer than Glory J, as Becca noted.

I was pulling for Minny to take Glory as some others were, but I have a ton of respect for Reeves and her staff and I think the Dev Peters pick can be a good pick for them. Dev has shown that she can be dominant on the defensive end and she is a better leaper than Glory. I see them pencilling in Dev as a backup to Brunson. Brunson is aggressive and sometimes got in foul trouble in the 2nd half of the season, and Dev's is a closer analog to Brunson's game than anyone they have right now. Adair is a very solid player, and I love her game, but she is more of a F/C. And Amber is a question mark for me. Huge upside but not sure what she will bring this year. Then Taj, she's going to be playing fewer minutes this year as well and (per Taj) is not pushing to be a starter. I think she will start at the beginning of the season, tho, and then Adair will start later on if she keeps improving like she did last year.

Minny is going to need all the strength and defensive prowess it can muster inside this year, with the Sparks loading up. This pick is like a surgical strike for Minny, made for Dev's particular set of skills.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ummm who is this that the Sun drafted? I watch a lot of bball and I haven't heard of her.

Reaction Score
She still has a year to develop some sparkle.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Here's what Lobo said about Astan Dabo: She's 6-8, long, only 19 years old. While Brittney Griner isn't in this draft, this is a player who can help compete against Brittney Griner in years to come. Then Peck added: Thibault took building for the future literally. Also of note: Dabo plays for Reims in France and her 2011-12 stats were 11.2 ppg and 12.8 rpg.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
So Indy passes on Tiff ---- maybe a reunion with Maya in Minny ....!??!??!?!

Or will Minny take Kizer, perhaps?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Lynx take a Brazilian at #12, no first round for Tiff :(

Damiris Dantas is a young (19 y.o.) 6'4" C from Brazil, looks very athletic, yet more depth at /C for Minny, which is clearly what they had on their shopping list today.

They recently signed a veteran guard to the roster, retained Wiggins, still have Monica Wright, and of course Whalen and Seimone, so they just weren't going to be looking at guards in this draft. Taj is retiring after this year in all likelihood, so they are bolstering their inside game with fresh talent.

Reaction Score
I think Glory will have a better pro career tha Peters. Peters never impressed me that much, she always seemed to be in foul trouble.

Fouls aren't the same in the WNBA. It may still be an issue, but it will be less of one.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Looks like Minny won't actually be 'taking delivery' (so to speak) of Damiris Dantas...

"The top-talked about foreign player seems to be one with the most wild-card potential, Damiris Dantas. The 19-year old Brazilian has apparantly made it known that she is unwilling to play in the WNBA until after the 2016 Olympics, so if Dantas' name is called it will be for investment purposes."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom