WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Grace Berger is a big strong guard who’s a capable defender, and she’s getting some meaningful minutes. Her +/- for the season is better than Wheeler’s (last I looked she was positive for the season). I like the lineup with her and Lexie Hull, another long defensive guard, in at the same time.

I agree with you on Saxton. I’m wondering if she’s just not meshing well in practice. She’d upgrade the defense and length with Smith out.

Good question about Saxton and meshing. It's perplexing. What would be the harm in giving her more time, especially with Smith out?

They kept her on the roster over other players for some reason. It's just unclear as to what it is based on how she's being utilized at this point.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle beat Phoenix to force a 3 way tie for last place at 7-20. LA is only 2 games up on that scrum at 9-18.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle beat Phoenix to force a 3 way tie for last place at 7-20. LA is only 2 games up on that scrum at 9-18.

Jewell had 32 points. Diana had 28. Gabby had 14/5/6/4/2.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jewell had 32 points. Diana had 28. Gabby had 14/5/6/4/2.
(Jewell) only shot 8-22 from the field, but got to the line a lot; hitting 13-14 of them.

For Phoenix, Megan Gustafson must think she's in Greece, because she's been busting out since getting more air when Griner took a mental health break. She shot 6-7 from the field and scored 13 points-- including one three -- overall in a mere 15 minutes.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
(Jewell) only shot 8-22 from the field, but got to the line a lot; hitting 13-14 of them.

For Phoenix, Megan Gustafson must think she's in Greece, because she's been busting out since getting more air when Griner took a mental health break. She shot 6-7 from the field and scored 13 points-- including one three -- overall in a mere 15 minutes.
Really great to see Gustafson find a place for herself in the league. She's worked her butt off.

Reaction Score
One hour till ABC broadcast of WNBA final preview between the Liberty and Aces. I am confident in terms of production and broadcasting this will be far superior to prime, twitter, ion, ESPN plus, ESPN3 well you get the drift....

Some channel searching shows that CBS is showing Pickleball a championship of sorts and ABC in anticipation of the WNBA game has Lacrosse. Can't help but think of this in the context of the ongoing discussion about expanding the viewership for Women's basketball.

There is a national appetite on my optimistic view for women's basketball as there is for pickleball, lacrosse, and other activities. While the WNBA commissioner and staff are doing I think an excellent job in taking strategic actions to expand the base for women's basketball I think the status quo is telling.

As WNBA fans we get to navigate streaming services such as prime, twitter, Facebook as well as I on whatever the heck that is ESPN and on some occasions ABC or CBS.

I'm just not certain that this Pac 4 strategy of media will achieve the goals of expanding our base. To me it is extremely odd that the WNBA can't find an over the air partner to compliment the potpourri of options that are both bewildering and fragmented.

Reaction Score
One hour till ABC broadcast of WNBA final preview between the Liberty and Aces. I am confident in terms of production and broadcasting this will be far superior to prime, twitter, ion, ESPN plus, ESPN3 well you get the drift....

Some channel searching shows that CBS is showing Pickleball a championship of sorts and ABC in anticipation of the WNBA game has Lacrosse. Can't help but think of this in the context of the ongoing discussion about expanding the viewership for Women's basketball.

There is a national appetite on my optimistic view for women's basketball as there is for pickleball, lacrosse, and other activities. While the WNBA commissioner and staff are doing I think an excellent job in taking strategic actions to expand the base for women's basketball I think the status quo is telling.

As WNBA fans we get to navigate streaming services such as prime, twitter, Facebook as well as I on whatever the heck that is ESPN and on some occasions ABC or CBS.

I'm just not certain that this Pac 4 strategy of media will achieve the goals of expanding our base. To me it is extremely odd that the WNBA can't find an over the air partner to compliment the potpourri of options that are both bewildering and fragmented.
I'm frustrated that I cannot watch the Fever/Dream game today because of a blackout. I live a 3 hour drive away from Atlanta. A blackout won't convince me to go to the game and it feels like a very archaic and outdated strategy to get butts in seats. All they're doing is alienating their local community and potential future local fans that just happen to stumble upon the game. You have to be the popular kid on the block for blackouts to work...

Reaction Score
In the battle of the super teams, the Liberty lead the Aces at halftime 49-44. Luckily Sabrina is on fire or else this would be a blow out already. I gave Brondello the benefit of the doubt before but she’s not the coach for a championship team. Stewie had Clark guarding her when the Aces went small. Clark is a great defender but no plays were called to get Stewie on the block with Clark. Rather Stewie took jumpers and I don’t think she hit any. Stewie and Aja both relatively quiet with the guards from each team doing most of the damage

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That was weird. In the second half the Aces looked like a bad high school team. Plum struggled, but Wilson had maybe the worst game of her career. And they got nothing from Stokes, or the bench. Gray and Young weren't remotely enough to counter a red hot Ionescu, and pretty much the whole Liberty team from 3. They've been winning, but they really need Parker back. Just no depth in the front court. They kept saying Clark can play the 4, but you saw how well that worked today. Not against a team with good size like NY has.

Sloot moved to #2 on the career assist list.

Reaction Score
That was weird. In the second half the Aces looked like a bad high school team. Plum struggled, but Wilson had maybe the worst game of her career. And they got nothing from Stokes, or the bench. Gray and Young weren't remotely enough to counter a red hot Ionescu, and pretty much the whole Liberty team from 3. They've been winning, but they really need Parker back. Just no depth in the front court. They kept saying Clark can play the 4, but you saw how well that worked today. Not against a team with good size like NY has.

And Dolson should be back soon which will help the Liberty bench.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Who wants the #4 spot? Washington lost to LA today (much needed win for the Sparks). Atlanta beat Indiana. Dallas in a tight game with Chicago at the moment.

Is there any kind of timetable for EDD to return? I keep hearing the Mystics could still be a contender IF they get everybody back healthy, but they keep sinking further in the standings and time is running out. If the season ended now they would be #6 and have to play Connecticut in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
In the battle of the super teams, the Liberty lead the Aces at halftime 49-44. Luckily Sabrina is on fire or else this would be a blow out already. I gave Brondello the benefit of the doubt before but she’s not the coach for a championship team. Stewie had Clark guarding her when the Aces went small. Clark is a great defender but no plays were called to get Stewie on the block with Clark. Rather Stewie took jumpers and I don’t think she hit any. Stewie and Aja both relatively quiet with the guards from each team doing most of the damage

This did not age well

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dallas is a good match up for Chicago apparently. Mabrey and Copper lit them up. Howard and Sabally were productive for the Wings.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dallas is a good match up for Chicago apparently. Mabrey and Copper lit them up. Howard and Sabally were productive for the Wings.

Dallas can’t keep the Sky under 104 points!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Pretty tight game: save for the 2nd quarter in which the Sky outscored the Wings by 9, two of the quarters were tied and Dallas got the fourth quarter by one; hence, the 8-pt. win at 104-96. Copper and Mabrey averaged 24 pts. apiece in the two-win sweep. Mabrey must've been in drive mode, because she lived -- and thrived -- at the line, going 13 for 14. Both she and Copper hit three 3-pointers. Morgan Bertsch had her best game in awhile, going for 11 while being a perfect 3-3 from three-pt. land. Great road sweep for the Sky.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Well NY/LV might be more interesting come playoff time that I thought previously. Ionescu torched Vegas today, Laney/Jones were terrific too and Vegas's 2 best scorers no showed and no one grabbed any rebounds. Vegas has proven can win a lot of games without Parker, but her value on the court was shown today when you look at the zero contribution they got from Clark/Stokes in her place. Both are great role players off the bench but neither should be starting IMO, and LV's bench is incredibly weak outside of their top 7.

Against NY they'll need a healthy Parker since she's a viable threat in all areas even if she isn't playing at an All-WNBA level anymore. Today felt flukey and I'm not surprised Vegas had a let down game while NY was chomping at the bit to show they're at LV's level, but I'm curious to see how LV responds to this the next several games. Most teams in contention for being the best of all time don't get blown out by 38 points.

As for NY, they're understatedly red hot right now, winning 8 of their last 9 and 12 of their last 14. It seems like all of the stars are melding together nicely, especially Laney/Jones as they're settling into their roles after a slower start.

Reaction Score
New York's had their version of this type of game this season too. Their loss to Atlanta where they had a significant lead comes to mind. It's a draw in my opinion.

The Commissioner's Cup will be an interesting follow up game. With it happening this week, we as fans don't have to wait long for the rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom