WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gamesmanship? "Gamesmanship" like this leads to fights, like we saw this past season at the NCAA level.

Yes, there are a lot of dangerous plays that need to be cleaned up, but it doesn't mean stuff like this should get a pass. It's small things like this that build into larger issues. Nip it in the bud while also working on the larger challenges is how I see it.
Except their friends so I don’t think there was a risk of a fight breaking out lol. Y’all take things too seriously and want to take all the fun out of a literal GAME.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hey, the Fever actually pulled off a win in a close game. But probably only because they were playing the Mercury. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Hey, the Fever actually pulled off a win in a close game. But probably only because they were playing the Mercury. :rolleyes:
Without Griner to boot. Based on the final score, she would have made a difference in the game.

Reaction Score
Man, I do not envy voters when it comes to MVP this year. No issues if Wilson wins it, but Alyssa Thomas is having an impressive season. Her fifth triple double with 21 pts, 20 rebounds and 12 assists, this season? :eek: What is Coach White doing differently than when Miller was there?

Reaction Score
Man, I do not envy voters when it comes to MVP this year. No issues if Wilson wins it, but Alyssa Thomas is having an impressive season. Her fifth triple double with 21 pts, 20 rebounds and 12 assists, this season? :eek: What is Coach White doing differently than when Miller was there?

The ball is in Thomas’s hands all the time.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It's not like Thomas wasn't all over the place last year: She averaged 13.4ppg, 8.2rpg, and 6.1apg.

She IS playing 4 more minutes per game; and with the injury to B.Jones, Connecticut is also playing a lot more small ball, that allows Thomas to be more free in creating.

Reaction Score
It's not like Thomas wasn't all over the place last year: She averaged 13.4ppg, 8.2rpg, and 6.1apg.

She IS playing 4 more minutes per game; and with the injury to B.Jones, Connecticut is also playing a lot more small ball, that allows Thomas to be more free in creating.

So 4 extra minutes per game turns into 5 triple doubles in one season. I like that math ;)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As of now, I'd go

1. Stewart (even with all the talent in NY, she is the clear #1 and has bailed them out a lot in close games)
2. Thomas (doing everything for her team, that continues to win even without B. Jones)
3. Wilson (Statistically, she's actually doing better than her MVP season last year. For me, it's just that she is arguably playing with the three best guards in the league in Plum, Young, and Gray, all of whom could make their own case for MVP)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
To me, AT is the clear MVP and is pulling away. My gosh, a 21-20-12 T-dub with ZERO turnovers?! Seems like nearly every game she's setting a new record of some kind. She does EVERYTHING for her team and she does it all at a high or league leading level. She is the team's emotional leader and has become a real coach on the floor to her teammates.

Her supporting cast is probably the weakest of all the top candidates, yet the Sun sit in 3rd place. Without AT where do you think they would be?

Nobody has ever led the league in both rebounds and assists. Nobody else has ever had multiple back to back t-dubs. She has more t-dubs this season that the entire roster of the W combined. Her 20-20-10 yesterday?... never been done before. Only 3 players in the NBA have ever accomplished that without any turnovers.

She's been an ironwoman throughout her career, playing high minutes through injuries that probably would sideline most others. She ruptured her Achilles overseas and played in the very next W season. Her toughness is legendary.

OBTW, she's one of the elite defenders in the league also.

Nobody has done more to earn this year's MVP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a close Sun victory, Alyssa Thomas set a new league standard: 21 points, 20 rebounds, 12 assists. Incredible!
Alyssa does so much and to me, she should be in the MVP conversation. Watching her play over the years, Alyssa plays the game the right way. She is aggressive in a good way. She can guard all five positions. Not many can do that. Alyssa is just a joy to watch and even though they (Sun) won against my Minnesota Lynx squad, I got mad respect for Alyssa because she is going to outwork you on every possession. Great win for the Sun and great night for Alyssa.

Reaction Score
What if they draft C. Clark? They could bode well for the horizon.
Hum......perhaps. How many alphas in the dog house? DT is signed for next year, coaching situation is in a flux and I suspect CC would return for another year at the collegiate level if she had any suspicion that she would fall into the cesspool that is the Phoenix Mercury organization.

Given the Mercury's aversion to the draft and draftees I would be confident they would trade this pick, perhaps for Emma Cannon?

Confirming their status in the loss to the Fever last night the Mercury opened the fourth quarter with a 2 minute scoreless run. With Indiana desperately trying to lose the game DT's hero ball against an extremely weak team fell flat. With 5 turnovers the GOAT continues to lead the WNBA and on a per minute basis she may be close to a league record. 4th in the league in three point attempts DT remains in the bottom 10 in made percentage and for much of the season was last in the league in three-point shooting percentage.

Mercury defense allowed Emma Cannon a 5.5 per game career scorer, a career high 23 points as BG completed her mental health rest for the week.

3000 fans suffered through two teams wondering about the court in a listless display of ???

The Mercury also had a 3-minute scoreless streak to open the second quarter and a 2-minute squirrel is streaked open the third quarter as they combined incoherent offense with a refusal to play defense.

psconn

Reaction Score
...and yet as I scroll down the WNBA Twitter feed this morning I have to get through over 30 tweets to see a mention of Alyssa Thomas. These include a pinned tweet celebrating the Ace's clinching a playoff spot, "Top Performer posters" for Emma Cannon, Aja Wilson and Courtney Vandersloot. Also two "red carpet" fashion tweets.

EDIT: AT's "poster" is there now. I'm told it was hiding as a response to Emma Cannon's poster.

The WNBA home webpage top stories? 1) Aces clinch, 2) 2023 power rankings, 2023 WNBA fashion... what BS!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So true. You can make a case for the current front runners of Wilson & Stewie. Then you can make a case for Alyssa Thomas and Loyd.

Reaction Score
...and yet as I scroll down the WNBA Twitter feed this morning I have to get through over 30 tweets to see a mention of Alyssa Thomas. These include a pinned tweet celebrating the Ace's clinching a playoff spot, "Top Performer posters" for Emma Cannon, Aja Wilson and Courtney Vandersloot. Also two "red carpet" fashion tweets.

The WNBA home webpage top stories? 1) Aces clinch, 2) 2023 power rankings, 2023 WNBA fashion... what BS!!!
I gave up on the WNBA with their main page as well as their social media accounts a long time ago.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
MVP is likely a 3 person race right now:
1. Stewart: 22.9 points, 9.3 boards, 3.7 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.4 blocks, 46/37/85 shooting splits, team is #2 in the league (20-6)
2. Alyssa Thomas: 14.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 8.2 assists, 1.8 steals, 46/-/69 shooting splits, team is #3 in league (19-7)
3. A'ja Wilson: 20.7 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.3 blocks, 55/24/78 shooting splits, team is #1 in league (24-2)

You also could make a strong case for:
Jackie Young: 18.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.5 steals, 54/47/82 shooting splits, team is #1 in league (24-2)
Kelsey Plum: 19.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 0.9 steals, 51/38/91 shooting splits, team is #1 in league (24-2)

At this point I would lean Stewart just based on overall production and impact, though Wilson/Thomas are right there. Stewart I think is the best all around player, Wilson is the best player on potentially the best team in WNBA league history, and what Thomas is accomplishing and how she's leading her team is unparalleled. Honestly all 3 have numbers and overall impact that outperforms most MVPs from the last 5+ years. Wilson has won 2 MVPs and this might be her best year so far, yet she could finish as low as 3rd in the MVP race if the season ended today. Shows the quality of talent in the league.

Young/Plum could join the conversation, but Young has a tendency to fade into the background sometimes, and Plum started off slow (though she's been remarkably good as of late).

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I can see the fact that Wilson just won an MVP working against her too. The only players to win 3 MVPs in league history are Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes and Lauren Jackson. Wilson will get there, but they may make her wait longer.

psconn

Reaction Score
LaChina knows what's up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon