WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't know why someone would want to post this celebrating the action. For as much as one may dislike Mabrey, Taurasi, or someone else, referees missing this is inexcusable.
Missing a tap to the face with all the plays they review on the monitor and get wrong? Yea no, this is just funny, sorry.

Reaction Score
Missing a tap to the face with all the plays they review on the monitor and get wrong? Yea no, this is just funny, sorry.

Disagree but we usually do on most fronts. Would feel the same way if it were reversed and it was Mabrey who "tapped" Taurasi in the face. Rivalries be damned, if we don't keep making missed calls like this an issue, we'll see it get worse in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Don't know why someone would want to post this celebrating the action. For as much as one may dislike Mabrey, Taurasi, or someone else, referees missing this is inexcusable.
Yeah, I agree. I did not find this moment funny. No matter how folks feel about Mabrey, if the roles were flipped and she smacked/slapped any player, especially Diana, folks would have been up in arms about how dirty of a player Mabrey was and should be fined. And the fact that Diana got away with this, is even more mind blowing. Because we all know that if she got smacked/slapped, she would have been cussing out the refs, mean mugging the refs, or some other over the top theatrics. Just saying.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Appalling. DT is truly her own worst enemy sometimes. (And as just about anyone knows, there are few players I like less than Mabrey, but NO ONE warrants that.) Pathetic.

Reaction Score
Disagree but we usually do on most fronts. Would feel the same way if it were reversed and it was Mabrey who "tapped" Taurasi in the face. Rivalries be damned, if we don't keep making missed calls like this an issue, we'll see it get worse in the WNBA.
There are already worse calls in the WNBA… they told Jewel Lloyd during a game they weren’t calling a foul because they didn’t like a play. Refs are trash and intentionally affecting and also this is funny. I’d find it FUNNIER if Mabrey did this to Diana honestly.

Reaction Score
There are already worse calls in the WNBA… they told Jewel Lloyd during a game they weren’t calling a foul because they didn’t like a play. Refs are trash and intentionally affecting and also this is funny. I’d find it FUNNIER if Mabrey did this to Diana honestly.
Shrugging this off due to the current state of refereeing in the sport doesn't make it okay. It just further shows that the league needs to find ways to get this out of the game before something really bad happens.

Reaction Score
Shrugging this off due to the current state of refereeing in the sport doesn't make it okay. It just further shows that the league needs to find ways to get this out of the game before something really bad happens.
Get what out of the game? A playful tap? There is no risk for injury it’s just gamesmanship. They should work on getting the actual dangerous plays out of the game or just the incompetence that makes games unwatchable. You’re focused on harmless nonsense instead of real officiating in the league.

Reaction Score
Get what out of the game? A playful tap? There is no risk for injury it’s just gamesmanship. They should work on getting the actual dangerous plays out of the game or just the incompetence that makes games unwatchable. You’re focused on harmless nonsense instead of real officiating in the league.
Gamesmanship? "Gamesmanship" like this leads to fights, like we saw this past season at the NCAA level.

Yes, there are a lot of dangerous plays that need to be cleaned up, but it doesn't mean stuff like this should get a pass. It's small things like this that build into larger issues. Nip it in the bud while also working on the larger challenges is how I see it.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This really says more about Mabrey than Taurasi.
After all, Seimone Augustus got a kiss from Diana. :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So is Tina Charles confirmed not playing this year? Haven't heard anything but thought we might get some chatter post ASG.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Maybe someone should give you a playful tap on the face.. See how you would like that.. since it's just harmless nonsense. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So is Tina Charles confirmed not playing this year? Haven't heard anything but thought we might get some chatter post ASG.

Nope. Nothing has been confirmed at all

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since all of the players are, or were, in the WNBA I thought this might fit here. Karlie Samuelson opines on the UConn Zoom discussion.

I attended that loss to Stanford. While I was happy to see them play in person, I was shocked and bummed out that they lost. As I recall, UConn had a 10 point lead with 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, and let it slip away. Stanford kept the pressure on, and never let up.
After the game, the Stanford fans and players were celebrating like they had just won the national championship. :(

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some notable stat updates:
1. Dewanna Bonner is now #8 all time in career points, passing Candace Parker. If she keeps up her level of play a couple more years, she'll likely finish her career #2 all time in career points.

2. Diana Taurasi is 47 points away from 10k.

3. Vandersloot is 19 assists from moving to #2 all time on career assist charts. Taurasi is 5th, Parker 7th, and Danielle Robinson recently cracked top 10.

4. No active player is top 10 in career steals. Bonner is #13 with 545, and she has about half of what Catchings (#1) has for her career (1074).

5. Griner is #3 in career blocks and should catch the late 7-2 Margo Dydek in the next couple of seasons. Dydek has held the record for 20+ years and set the mark in just 10 seasons of play.

6. Aces are a league best 23-2 to start the year. I believe this record is only eclipsed by the 1998 Houston Comets who started 25-2 and finished 27-3. The 2016 LA Sparks started 20-1 before losing 7 of their final 13 games. To beat the Comets mark for best record by percentage in league history, they'll need to finish 13-1 the rest of the way.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Really interesting bballnut90. It leads me to ask: Is DeWanna Bonner the most underrated WNBA player of all time?

Reaction Score
I attended that loss to Stanford. While I was happy to see them play in person, I was shocked and bummed out that they lost. As I recall, UConn had a 10 point lead with 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, and let it slip away. Stanford kept the pressure on, and never let up.
After the game, the Stanford fans and players were celebrating like they had just won the national championship. :(
That was the wakeup call that they needed, and Nurse became a starter.

Reaction Score
Rematch game. Can my beloved Minnesota Lynx squad make it four in a row and make it two in a row against the Sun? Going to be a good one.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
And...... The Mercury have the worst road record in the W.

DT gets her 10,000 and it's a wrap for this season. I see little improvement on the horizon

What if they draft C. Clark? They could bode well for the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom