WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MVP is likely a 3 person race right now:
1. Stewart: 22.9 points, 9.3 boards, 3.7 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.4 blocks, 46/37/85 shooting splits, team is #2 in the league (20-6)
2. Alyssa Thomas: 14.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 8.2 assists, 1.8 steals, 46/-/69 shooting splits, team is #3 in league (19-7)
3. A'ja Wilson: 20.7 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.3 blocks, 55/24/78 shooting splits, team is #1 in league (24-2)

You also could make a strong case for:
Jackie Young: 18.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.5 steals, 54/47/82 shooting splits, team is #1 in league (24-2)
Kelsey Plum: 19.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 0.9 steals, 51/38/91 shooting splits, team is #1 in league (24-2)

At this point I would lean Stewart just based on overall production and impact, though Wilson/Thomas are right there. Stewart I think is the best all around player, Wilson is the best player on potentially the best team in WNBA league history, and what Thomas is accomplishing and how she's leading her team is unparalleled. Honestly all 3 have numbers and overall impact that outperforms most MVPs from the last 5+ years. Wilson has won 2 MVPs and this might be her best year so far, yet she could finish as low as 3rd in the MVP race if the season ended today. Shows the quality of talent in the league.

Young/Plum could join the conversation, but Young has a tendency to fade into the background sometimes, and Plum started off slow (though she's been remarkably good as of late).
Definitely should go to Thomas. Stewie is always going to be the best player in the league but that doesn’t make her MVP.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Do Loyd and Ogunbowale have a shootout every time the Storm and Wings play? Seems like it.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Ok I'm convinced. AT for MVP!!!
I just want to point out a rare occurance that just took place... Actually 2 things: 1) a group of people discussed a subject without invalidating or mocking another participants position or manner of expression and, 2) someone actually read the comments, thought about it and altered their view without embarrassment or fear of criticism. I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't worthy of note.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Diana looked like the true GOAT tonight, as 42 points on excellent shooting sent her past the 10,000 threshold. She's working on the next 10,000. :D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, for the many of us that think Aliyah Boston's usage rate is exceedingly low, here's an article that completely and utterly agrees with that point of view (her usage rate among Indiana's starters is only higher than Lexie Hull). Main culprit in author's opinion: lack of ball distribution. Kelsey Mitchell and Nalyssa Smith might not have qualms about creating their own shots, but Aliyah is a good scout. Coach Sides needs to change approach in off season.

Here's the article:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Even Ted Lasso knows that AT is...

The Best Good Job GIF by Apple TV+

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Main culprit in author's opinion: lack of ball distribution. Kelsey Mitchell and Nalyssa Smith might not have qualms about creating their own shots,
Smith has been out for a while, and I'd venture a guess that Boston's usage rate is even lower during that time. So can't really put it on Smith.

Reaction Score
Smith has been out for a while, and I'd venture a guess that Boston's usage rate is even lower during that time. So can't really put it on Smith.

I agree with this

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Should Ionescu just stop shooting inside the arc? She's money from 3, but not particularly good on shorter stuff. It's weird.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sloot kinda seems to be fading into the background in New York. She's still second in the league in assists, but I thought she'd be challenging her own record for highest average for a season. She's not remotely close at this point, and will need to up her production from what she's been doing for the last several weeks to pass Thomas.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched most of the NY-Minnesota game. Very much a game of runs, w/ the Lib getting the last one. They absolutely killed the Lynx w/ O boards and 2nd chance points as the game wore on. Much of it from JJ. Collier was back, but Juhasz was out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

The piece examines the entire year and then breaks down what's happened since Smith is out. Here are the two graphs on that:

"With Smith injured for the last few weeks, the Fever have had to retool their offense to adjust. Per PBP Stats, Boston is on the receiving end of more assists in the post when Smith is off the floor: her at-rim assist percentage skyrockets from 45.3% with Smith to 71.4% without her.

"However, this still hasn’t translated into more overall shots. In fact, Boston’s field-goal attempts per game dropped from 10 to 9.3 after Smith’s injury, with Erica Wheeler seeing increased usage instead. "

Your guess is correct, but the author's point that overall distribution efforts have to be reconfigured plays out, too. If one wants to "put it on" anyone or anything, it's the distribution strategy or the way it's implemented by Wheeler.

Reaction Score
The piece examines the entire year and then breaks down what's happened since Smith is out. Here are the two graphs on that:

"With Smith injured for the last few weeks, the Fever have had to retool their offense to adjust. Per PBP Stats, Boston is on the receiving end of more assists in the post when Smith is off the floor: her at-rim assist percentage skyrockets from 45.3% with Smith to 71.4% without her.

"However, this still hasn’t translated into more overall shots. In fact, Boston’s field-goal attempts per game dropped from 10 to 9.3 after Smith’s injury, with Erica Wheeler seeing increased usage instead. "

Your guess is correct, but the author's point that overall distribution efforts have to be reconfigured plays out, too. If one wants to "put it on" anyone or anything, it's the distribution strategy or the way it's implemented by Wheeler.
She is getting double-teamed more often with Smith out, this why I think she is passing the ball more with Smith out. It's very noticable that their offense and defense takes a hit when Boston is on the bench.

A side note...I was pondering this while watching their game against the Sun today. I think the Fever need some lanky, athletic guards to help fix their defensive woes. They just seem like a short team, both in height and wingspan.

Also I wish they would give Saxton some meaningful minutes with Smith out. She isn't an offensive threat but I think she would've been able to help defend and rebound in today's game. Put her on Bonner for a few minutes during that period in the first where the Sun went on their run and see if anything good happens.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Chicago Sky fly into Dallas with arms afire: both Kahleah Copper and Courtney Williams score 25 in 104-89 road victory. Look no further than these two's 3-pt. performances: Copper shot 4 of 4 and Williams 5-6. Williams also had 6 assists. That will do the trick. Alanna Smith had ultra-solid 20 points and Mabrey contributed 16 points and solid number of rebounds and assists. Solid road win on a night when the Wings' Natasha Howard had a triple double (28 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists).

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Copper has been on FIRE since the All Star Break, and Alanna Smith is a leading contender for Most improved (Along with Jordin Canada, imo). Courtney Williams can be a streaky shooter, but I LOVE her game.

Reaction Score
Sloot kinda seems to be fading into the background in New York. She's still second in the league in assists, but I thought she'd be challenging her own record for highest average for a season. She's not remotely close at this point, and will need to up her production from what she's been doing for the last several weeks to pass Thomas.

Sabrina is as good a playmaker as Sloot is. Similar to how her assist numbers dropped when Candace came to Chicago, I expected the same to happen. That said, 8/game is still pretty impressive.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A side note...I was pondering this while watching their game against the Sun today. I think the Fever need some lanky, athletic guards to help fix their defensive woes. They just seem like a short team, both in height and wingspan.

Also I wish they would give Saxton some meaningful minutes with Smith out. She isn't an offensive threat but I think she would've been able to help defend and rebound in today's game. Put her on Bonner for a few minutes during that period in the first where the Sun went on their run and see if anything good happens.
Grace Berger is a big strong guard who’s a capable defender, and she’s getting some meaningful minutes. Her +/- for the season is better than Wheeler’s (last I looked she was positive for the season). I like the lineup with her and Lexie Hull, another long defensive guard, in at the same time.

I agree with you on Saxton. I’m wondering if she’s just not meshing well in practice. She’d upgrade the defense and length with Smith out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabrina is as good a playmaker as Sloot is. Similar to how her assist numbers dropped when Candace came to Chicago, I expected the same to happen. That said, 8/game is still pretty impressive.
Yesterday she had 6 assists somewhere in Q2, and finished with 7. Late in the game she looked pretty passive, rather than driving and dishing like she's done all of her career. There's a lot of talent to blend together for the Liberty, but it doesn't look like she's being used to her max effectiveness. She also was on the bench almost the entire 3rd quarter. And not because of foul problems. Johannes certainly needs PT as well as the starting guards, but she did pretty much nothing while she was on the floor yesterday.

Reaction Score
Yesterday she had 6 assists somewhere in Q2, and finished with 7. Late in the game she looked pretty passive, rather than driving and dishing like she's done all of her career. There's a lot of talent to blend together for the Liberty, but it doesn't look like she's being used to her max effectiveness. She also was on the bench almost the entire 3rd quarter. And not because of foul problems. Johannes certainly needs PT as well as the starting guards, but she did pretty much nothing while she was on the floor yesterday.
They’ve been trying to rest her because their schedule has been inane the last two weeks. With having to fly back to New York today and play Vegas tomorrow I’m sure they are just trying to get her minutes down.

I do think they could utilize her more. I think she’s the last starter they haven’t fully unlocked yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom