WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Connecticut Sun sign 6-foot-10 center Bernadett Határ to rest of season contract

This move should help add depth at the center position, something Connecticut has been trying to tinker with ever since two-time All-Star Brionna Jones suffered a season-ending Achilles tear in June.​

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sounds crazy, but is Minnesota actually better without Collier in the lineup? With her they beat all the bad teams, but couldn't manage to beat anybody good. Most of the time not even close. Without her they beat New York and are about to beat Connecticut.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Are they better without Collier? No.

Are they better not relying on Collier to do everything? Yes.

Now if the rest of the team can continue to perform when she comes back, ole Cheryl may really have something cooking going into playoffs.

Reaction Score
Are they better without Collier? No.

Are they better not relying on Collier to do everything? Yes.

Now if the rest of the team can continue to perform when she comes back, ole Cheryl may really have something cooking going into playoffs.
Think the return of players like Miller, Shepherd and Powers helps too. All three have been unavailable for significant parts of the season. Per your point about Collier returning, this version of the Lynx will be very fun to watch.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Think the return of players like Miller, Shepherd and Powers helps too. All three have been unavailable for significant parts of the season. Per your point about Collier returning, this version of the Lynx will be very fun to watch.
I have a love hate with Powers. On days when she’s on (like today), she is huge for them. However, she will start a game like 1-9 and want to just keep shooting instead of facilitating, and that’s tough for everyone when you’re not even the best guard on your team.

Having Shepard and Miller back is huge, and I think it’s actually really good for Shepard to see what she’s capable of without Collier. She could be close to a double double most nights, but she just hasn’t seemed confident in the W since the injury her rookie year.

Reaction Score
I have a love hate with Powers. On days when she’s on (like today), she is huge for them. However, she will start a game like 1-9 and want to just keep shooting instead of facilitating, and that’s tough for everyone when you’re not even the best guard on your team.

Having Shepard and Miller back is huge, and I think it’s actually really good for Shepard to see what she’s capable of without Collier. She could be close to a double double most nights, but she just hasn’t seemed confident in the W since the injury her rookie year.

I hear you on Powers, 100%. However, if she can have more games along the lines of today's performance than those clunkers, Minnesota will be a challenging team to deal with.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now it's looking like we are back to a 3 team race between Phoenix, Seattle and Indiana for the cellar. Thought the Fever had risen above this, but they've lost a bunch of games in a row. Now suddenly the Storm are "hot."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both Minnesota and Seattle won 2 road games this weekend. Minny did it without Phee, their best player, but they now have Shepard, Powers, and Miller back. Gabby played PG for Seattle and matched Boston's 14 points.

Reaction Score
Sounds crazy, but is Minnesota actually better without Collier in the lineup? With her they beat all the bad teams, but couldn't manage to beat anybody good. Most of the time not even close. Without her they beat New York and are about to beat Connecticut.
Does not sound crazy at all. I had that conversation with the group that I was watching the game with today. Obviously, Phee is the focal point of the team, and she is the heart and soul of the team but these past three games, the players seem more intentional with their play. Plus, it helps that Kayla is hitting her shots these past few games.

Reaction Score

Aerial is a shooter. That is what shooters do. I can live with Aerial going 1-9 because I know that she is going get hot at any moment. It has been an interesting season for Aerial. She had that one huge game against Phoenix back in May of this year and other than that Phoenix game, this is the most minutes she has played all season, due to injuries and coaches' decisions not to play her. Aerial is a solid passer. Like any player, if you only get 2-8 minutes a game, really not much you can do out there.

Yeah, it is good to have Shep back out there. She brings that extra passer and rebounder. Of course, there are games where she disappears, but it happens to any player. Today, Shep showed up and showed out. Miller is going to be nice. Like Aerial, she is a shooter. Miller is going to be an all-star in three years.

Reaction Score
Now it's looking like we are back to a 3 team race between Phoenix, Seattle and Indiana for the cellar. Thought the Fever had risen above this, but they've lost a bunch of games in a row. Now suddenly the Storm are "hot."
Indiana is regressing pretty significantly, although the loss of Smith does not help their case as Boston/Smith are an outstanding inside combo. They just dont have the guard play to support them. I just don't think the current crop of guards are very good. Decision making and efficiency is rough for that group...

Reaction Score
Close, but the Mercury edge the other two out for the bottom slot. BG now taking a mental health weekend, DT back firing at will, and I think a defeatist locker room gives Phoenix the nod.

The hapless Mercury cement their last place -8.2 point differential with the 19 point loss today and confirm their determination to not play defense in giving up 104 points to Sky team that averages under 80 points a game.

Add to that the worst scoring offense in the W and you have the makings of not only the worst team in the league this year but perhaps one of the bottom 10 teams of all time.

Reaction Score
And...... The Mercury have the worst road record in the W.

DT gets her 10,000 and it's a wrap for this season. I see little improvement on the horizon

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well Dallas made it interesting, but Vegas pulled away again late after it got real close. Gray and Plum combined for 55 points. Both shot over 50% from the floor and they combined for 18-19 FT shooting. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Well Dallas made it interesting, but Vegas pulled away again late after it got real close. Gray and Plum combined for 55 points. Both shot over 50% from the floor and they combined for 18-19 FT shooting. Not bad.

I found it entertaining in some spots, but I found Dallas erratic. It may not be the right word, but that's how it felt watching them. Especially late on the fourth quarter with some of their turnovers.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Aerial is a shooter. That is what shooters do. I can live with Aerial going 1-9 because I know that she is going get hot at any moment. It has been an interesting season for Aerial. She had that one huge game against Phoenix back in May of this year and other than that Phoenix game, this is the most minutes she has played all season, due to injuries and coaches' decisions not to play her. Aerial is a solid passer. Like any player, if you only get 2-8 minutes a game, really not much you can do out there.

Yeah, it is good to have Shep back out there. She brings that extra passer and rebounder. Of course, there are games where she disappears, but it happens to any player. Today, Shep showed up and showed out. Miller is going to be nice. Like Aerial, she is a shooter. Miller is going to be an all-star in three years.
I know she’s streaky and can get eventually hot, but if KMac or Miller are also options (and Collier is still out) on the floor, I want them getting more touches when Powers comes in cold.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
There now seem to be a few distinct tiers in the league:

• Top of the Class: Las Vegas (and no one else is really close).
  • Very Good, not Great: NY and CT. Win most of their games but have a few WTF losses.
  • Solid, sometimes Spectacular: Dallas, Atlanta, Minnesota, DC. All have shown flashes of brilliance but more than their share of holes. MN and DC in particular have had their injury woes [DC may be closer to Tier 2 with EDD, Atkins, Austin all healthy]. They can beat teams in tier 2, and maybe even Vegas on an off night, but wouldn't be the favorite in any series.
  • Hanging on: Chicago and LA. Competing for last spot in playoffs. Chicago better hope they get the spot because their pick goes to Dallas in any case; and Nneka could sure use some support in LA.
  • Lottery Guaranteed: Indiana, Seattle, Phoenix. Their rosters aren't built to compete night in and night out.

Reaction Score
That was a pretty good game. Very physical, especially the play between Gray and Sims down the stretch. Same with Plum/McCowan.

Reaction Score
I know she’s streaky and can get eventually hot, but if KMac or Miller are also options (and Collier is still out) on the floor, I want them getting more touches when Powers comes in cold.
Oh, I have zero problem with the list of names given. Obviously, KMac, Miller, and Collier all have the green light, as they should. But if they are having an off night, I don't expect Aerial to keep feeding them the ball so that they can keep missing. She has to get a shot up as well. She is smart enough to know when to give up the ball and when to take a shot. She has to get into a rhythm of shooting like another other player out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom