WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New York's had their version of this type of game this season too. Their loss to Atlanta where they had a significant lead comes to mind. It's a draw in my opinion.

The Commissioner's Cup will be an interesting follow up game. With it happening this week, we as fans don't have to wait long for the rematch.
And the liberty have 2 regular season games remaining with the aces and the sun. Those games could provide some added drama to the playoff picture. Securing a top 2 seed is a huge advantage in the W.

Reaction Score
And the liberty have 2 regular season games remaining with the aces and the sun. Those games could provide some added drama to the playoff picture. Securing a top 2 seed is a huge advantage in the W.
Yup. I'll be making lots of popcorn to snack on for these games.:D

Happy Food GIF by Regal

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
New York's had their version of this type of game this season too. Their loss to Atlanta where they had a significant lead comes to mind. It's a draw in my opinion.

The Commissioner's Cup will be an interesting follow up game. With it happening this week, we as fans don't have to wait long for the rematch.
I'm reminded of a mid season Aces vs. Sky game last year, when the 2 appeared to be clearly the best teams in the league. Vegas jumped out to a big early lead, like 15-20 points. Then it took a 180, Chicago erased the lead and went on to win easily. It was at least a 30 point swing, maybe more like 40. In the end, that game meant nothing. Sky bowed out of the playoffs fairly early and Aces won the whole thing. So while yesterday's game was certainly a horrible one for Vegas, I don't put too much weight on 1 game, out of 40. But I stand by what I said about getting Parker back being critical for them.

Reaction Score
I'm reminded of a mid season Aces vs. Sky game last year, when the 2 appeared to be clearly the best teams in the league. Vegas jumped out to a big early lead, like 15-20 points. Then it took a 180, Chicago erased the lead and went on to win easily. It was at least a 30 point swing, maybe more like 40. In the end, that game meant nothing. Sky bowed out of the playoffs fairly early and Aces won the whole thing. So while yesterday's game was certainly a horrible one for Vegas, I don't put too much weight on 1 game, out of 40. But I stand by what I said about getting Parker back being critical for them.
Agreed on both points in reference in putting too much weight on it and Parker being an important part of the time.
My response was in regards to a poster believing Vegas just laid down. The same could be said of the Liberty when they lost to Atlanta earlier this year. Games like these happen, even to defending champions.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Both matchups of the "super teams" have been blowouts thus far--first by Vegas, now by NY.

Fortunately, they play THREE more times in August, so here's hoping we get a couple competitive games in the mix.

After a hellish schedule, NY now gets to rest until Friday night, and they have certainly earned it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The NY v. Vegas game surprised me. I thought the Aces were untouchable. Even though Sabrina was the biggest star, I was reminded of one thing: Don't bet against Jordan, Tiger, Maya, or Stewie.

Reaction Score
The New York/Las Vegas game was a shocker but just a reminder that on any given day, especially in a Best out of Five series, you gotta bring your A game each night. You can't afford to take a game off.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well NY/LV might be more interesting come playoff time that I thought previously. Ionescu torched Vegas today, Laney/Jones were terrific too and Vegas's 2 best scorers no showed and no one grabbed any rebounds. Vegas has proven can win a lot of games without Parker, but her value on the court was shown today when you look at the zero contribution they got from Clark/Stokes in her place. Both are great role players off the bench but neither should be starting IMO, and LV's bench is incredibly weak outside of their top 7.

Against NY they'll need a healthy Parker since she's a viable threat in all areas even if she isn't playing at an All-WNBA level anymore. Today felt flukey and I'm not surprised Vegas had a let down game while NY was chomping at the bit to show they're at LV's level, but I'm curious to see how LV responds to this the next several games. Most teams in contention for being the best of all time don't get blown out by 38 points.

As for NY, they're understatedly red hot right now, winning 8 of their last 9 and 12 of their last 14. It seems like all of the stars are melding together nicely, especially Laney/Jones as they're settling into their roles after a slower start.
I thought two dynamics played a HUGE part in the Aces' loss. 1. Jet lag 2. The Liberty is on a roll right now. The Aces only scored 17 points in the 2nd half. The thought that they packed it in at some point during the 2nd half is not unreasonable. A 5-hour cross country plane ride, a game that began at 10 am body clock time start for the Aces, and a red hot and hungry Liberty team was more than the Aces could withstand. I'll bet the farm right now that the Aces repeat. One game does not a season make. Like UConn, it's hard to beat the Aces at home. The Aces have already clinched a playoff spot.

Reaction Score
I thought two dynamics played a HUGE part in the Aces' loss. 1. Jet lag 2. The Liberty is on a roll right now. The Aces only scored 17 points in the 2nd half. The thought that they packed it in at some point during the 2nd half is not unreasonable. A 5-hour cross country plane ride, a game that began at 10 am body clock time start for the Aces, and a red hot and hungry Liberty team was more than the Aces could withstand. I'll bet the farm right now that the Aces repeat. One game does not a season make. Like UConn, it's hard to beat the Aces at home. The Aces have already clinched a playoff spot.
Stewie normally wins when she has comparable talent.
Last year with Seattle it was Stewie and Loyd, and Tina was a big detriment, along with Quinn as the coach.
This Liberty team is no where near their peak, Dolson will help a lotcoming back.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stewie normally wins when she has comparable talent.
Last year with Seattle it was Stewie and Loyd, and Tina was a big detriment, along with Quinn as the coach.
This Liberty team is no where near their peak, Dolson will help a lotcoming back.
Tina is gone, and Quinn will be after this season. No way she is retained. The Liberty is on the come. But the Aces are there. I can see the Aces and Liberty in the league finals. :cool: I doubt the Aces lose two more games the rest of the regular season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle and Connecticut played early today. Storm were up early, but of course that didn't hold up.

LA about to send Indiana to yet another loss. Looks like Smith is back, but didn't start.

Reaction Score
Seattle and Connecticut played early today. Storm were up early, but of course that didn't hold up.

LA about to send Indiana to yet another loss. Looks like Smith is back, but didn't start.
Smith being back is big but she clearly will need some time to regain form coming off time like that.

Indiana needs a complete reset. They will remain a bottom dweller until they get better guard play who make better decisions… most of the shot attempts should not be from anyone else other than Boston and a healthy Nalyssa Smith.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The only thing slowing Phee is foul trouble. She has 27 and 8 in 20 minutes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Indiana is really creative in the different ways they've blown late leads. This one wasn't egregious; the whole game was competitive, and you expect the veteran team to pull it out. Sides mixed it up, having Wallace and Berger in at the end rather than Hull and Wheeler.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee finishes with 29 and 9, despite foul trouble limiting her to 27 minutes. Minny wins by 9 in Chicago.

Reaction Score
Indiana is really creative in the different ways they've blown late leads. This one wasn't egregious; the whole game was competitive, and you expect the veteran team to pull it out. Sides mixed it up, having Wallace and Berger in at the end rather than Hull and Wheeler.
Wheeler had an absolutely terrible game today. It was pobably her worst game of the season. Berger probably had her best game of the season so I get the choice. Wallace made some good plays and earned the chance to play more minutes. I agree with Coach Sides decisions.

It was a mixed bag this game. Turnovers killed their chances to win the game. In particularly, Wheeler and Mitchell had some really bad unforced turnovers and they would happen in waves. Smith also looked like she was knocking off the dust. She had a few good moments but it was obvious that she was rusty.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wheeler had an absolutely terrible game today. It was pobably her worst game of the season. Berger probably had her best game of the season so I get the choice. Wallace made some good plays and earned the chance to play more minutes. I agree with Coach Sides decisions.

It was a mixed bag this game. Turnovers killed their chances to win the game. In particularly, Wheeler and Mitchell had some really bad unforced turnovers and they would happen in waves. Smith also looked like she was knocking off the dust. She had a few good moments but it was obvious that she was rusty.

20 TOs for Indy; only 8 for LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin