WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
#4-#7 in the standings are currently within 1.5 games of each other.

LA is trying to chase down Chicago for the last playoff spot, 1.5 games back.

Indiana has now sunk all the way to the bottom. 3 teams tied w/ 7 wins, but they have the most losses.

Reaction Score
Vegas goes over 100 again. Wilson has 28 and 14.
And she didn’t play in the 4th qtr, leaving near the end of the 3rd with a limp after landing funny. Looks like a minor injury - no need to bring her back in the game.

Reaction Score
Wheeler had an absolutely terrible game today. It was pobably her worst game of the season. Berger probably had her best game of the season so I get the choice. Wallace made some good plays and earned the chance to play more minutes. I agree with Coach Sides decisions.

It was a mixed bag this game. Turnovers killed their chances to win the game. In particularly, Wheeler and Mitchell had some really bad unforced turnovers and they would happen in waves. Smith also looked like she was knocking off the dust. She had a few good moments but it was obvious that she was rusty.
Indiana's downfall continues to be their backcourt. 12 turnovers from your 2 lead/veteran guards is unacceptable especially if you're paying them 200k+ a piece. Also another game where Boston wasn't the priority in the 4th quarter, no way should Wallace have almost twice as many shot attempts given the difference of shooting percentage between the two.

Reaction Score
Indiana's downfall continues to be their backcourt. 12 turnovers from your 2 lead/veteran guards is unacceptable especially if you're paying them 200k+ a piece. Also another game where Boston wasn't the priority in the 4th quarter, no way should Wallace have almost twice as many shot attempts given the difference of shooting percentage between the two.
Yep, Wheeler with 4 assists to 6 turnovers and Mitchell with 1 assist to 6 turnovers. LA had 24 points off turnovers...

Honestly, the Fever were killing the Sparks in every category except turnovers. I thought Boston and Berger had great games but the play of Wallace and Mitchell just ruined the team's chance for a win.

One thing I realized during this game is that Wallace can be replaced by Berger with no issue, but without Mitchell on the floor, there is not much of a threat from the rest of the guards. So Mitchell has to play no matter what happens. The Fever really need to upgrade their guard positions in the off-season. I would keep Mitchell, Berger, Vivians and Hull and replace Wheeler, Wallace and Caldwell with some young talent.

Reaction Score
Yep, Wheeler with 4 assists to 6 turnovers and Mitchell with 1 assist to 6 turnovers. LA had 24 points off turnovers...

Honestly, the Fever were killing the Sparks in every category except turnovers. I thought Boston and Berger had great games but the play of Wallace and Mitchell just ruined the team's chance for a win.

One thing I realized during this game is that Wallace can be replaced by Berger with no issue, but without Mitchell on the floor, there is not much of a threat from the rest of the guards. So Mitchell has to play no matter what happens. The Fever really need to upgrade their guard positions in the off-season. I would keep Mitchell, Berger, Vivians and Hull and replace Wheeler, Wallace and Caldwell with some young talent.
Wheeler will be tough because she's getting 200k and still has another year on her contract. No one else in the league will take that contract. I would try my luck with trying to trade Mitchell for a solid vet or a real pass first PG.

It's been so frustrating to watch this team self sabotage countless times. A few more higher IQ plays at the right time and this team could have easily been a playoff team.

I do like what I see from the 1st and 2nd year players overall. I do wonder what this team would have been if they kept Engstler and Henderson, definitely would have preferred them over some of Sides former Atlanta players.

Reaction Score
Well, it's looking like the Fever will have a strong shot at the Bueckers/Clark lottery to upgrade at guard given their two year record (thus far). Would love to see Aliya's and Paige's personalities on the same team. Of course, Clarke can be an assist machine.

Reaction Score
Well, it's looking like the Fever will have a strong shot at the Bueckers/Clark lottery to upgrade at guard given their two year record (thus far). Would love to see Aliya's and Paige's personalities on the same team. Of course, Clarke can be an assist machine.

An intriguing trio for sure. Time will tell what happens, especially since Clark and Bueckers can opt to return to their programs for 2024.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

No doubt Wheeler and Mitchell had terrible games from a TO perspective; but it does seem out of character. Combined they only average 4.3 to/per game (compared to 8apg).

What I saw in 4th quarter was that Boston was often only getting the ball out beyond the 3pt line. Smith was posting up inside, but I didn't get the sets they were running. Nneka was swarming Boston whenever she got hte ball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And she didn’t play in the 4th qtr, leaving near the end of the 3rd with a limp after landing funny. Looks like a minor injury - no need to bring her back in the game.
It didn't get mentioned on this board, but she caught a vicious elbow to the neck from JJ in the game against the Liberty. Maybe we should be a little worried about her making it to the end of the season without getting a significant injury? She left that game briefly (checked for possible concussion) before returning. Not that she's had any problems with durability during her career, but don't want to tempt fate.

Reaction Score
Wheeler had an absolutely terrible game today. It was pobably her worst game of the season. Berger probably had her best game of the season so I get the choice. Wallace made some good plays and earned the chance to play more minutes. I agree with Coach Sides decisions.

It was a mixed bag this game. Turnovers killed their chances to win the game. In particularly, Wheeler and Mitchell had some really bad unforced turnovers and they would happen in waves. Smith also looked like she was knocking off the dust. She had a few good moments but it was obvious that she was rusty.
Have never been a Mitchell fan even in college. Shoot first guards cost you more games then they win.
Occasionally they get lucky when on a great team, that can overcome their hero ball.

Reaction Score
Indiana is really creative in the different ways they've blown late leads. This one wasn't egregious; the whole game was competitive, and you expect the veteran team to pull it out. Sides mixed it up, having Wallace and Berger in at the end rather than Hull and Wheeler.
On point and love your description! I'll borrow it in describing the creative means the Phoenix Mercury employ to avoid the pretense of defense.

Reaction Score
No doubt Wheeler and Mitchell had terrible games from a TO perspective; but it does seem out of character. Combined they only average 4.3 to/per game (compared to 8apg).

What I saw in 4th quarter was that Boston was often only getting the ball out beyond the 3pt line. Smith was posting up inside, but I didn't get the sets they were running. Nneka was swarming Boston whenever she got hte ball.
Boston is a good passer so they try to do the high/low action from the top of the key to take advantage of Smith's size when Nneka is pulled away from the basket. Nneka did her film study and was trying to prevent the pass by swarming Boston. It was a good move and worked.

Reaction Score
With approximately 12 games remaining in the current season I've been comparing the Lynx and the Fever. The contrast in culture and coaching which of course are completely interrelated provides an insight into the differences between these two teams.

Both teams struggled with a major injury and I think how the coaching staff handled that setback as well as how the teams performed may be do to coaching differences. Over the years each team is developed a distinct culture and that certainly has played out this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fever finally get in the win column again. Maybe Mitchell and Wheeler have been reading this board, looks like they both had a good game. Banham was back for the Lynx, had a nice return.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How's this for a quarter? Mercury shoot 16-17 and lead Connecticut by 45-24. Capped by a MoJeff circus shot from deep at the buzzer. 94% shooting!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phoenix follows up a historical quarter with a really bad one, 24-7 in favor of the Sun.

Reaction Score

The reaction to Phoenix's tweet is pretty funny :)

Gamecock nation will forever hate Sophie Cunningham. Seeing this photo makes me ill but I guess all those incidents happened before Henney's era. Who did Cunningham almost get into a fight with on the court while she was at Missouri? Was that Coates? Anyone remember?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Phoenix, Seattle and Indiana all won games the same night?! How did that happen?

Bonner only played a few minutes for the Sun, did she get hurt?

Reaction Score
Phoenix, Seattle and Indiana all won games the same night?! How did that happen?

Bonner only played a few minutes for the Sun, did she get hurt?
Heard Bonner suffered a back injury. Didn't see the game however.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MoJeff scores the final points, as Phoenix holds on for the upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom