OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 55 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
My eldest son’s birthday is today. He bought. A cake yesterday. I have not been out to stores since the beginning of March. Never thought ahead to get card and gift. I only have sappy cards at home and we only give each other funny comic cards. Don’t need sappy cards as they know I love them all and tell them that each time we talk. I feel so badly.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My eldest son’s birthday is today. He bought. A cake yesterday. I have not been out to stores since the beginning of March. Never thought ahead to get card and gift. I only have sappy cards at home and we only give each other funny comic cards. Don’t need sappy cards as they know I love them all and tell them that each time we talk. I feel so badly.
Don't feel bad. Call him and make him laugh.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lost my grandfather yesterday to COVID-19. He was 90 and not in great health, so I knew when we got the news of the positive test that it probably wasn't going to end well. His nursing home had a confirmed case a week or two back and they did the best they could to quarantine everyone, but obviously it's not easy to stop the spread when everyone is in a confined space.

I'm still kind of in shock. He was a great man, but dementia had robbed him (and us) of his mind the last few years. Im just glad he's not suffering anymore.
Sorry for your loss, Rico.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Two of my daughters had their birthdays during this craziness already and I was in the same boat. I usually spend a lot of time searching for the perfect card, so this year I decided to take that time to write each of them a heartfelt message instead, which included my memory of the day each of them was born and my take on what makes each of them special. It was therapeutic for me, and each of them really seemed to appreciate it--or at least I took the tears as a good sign!

It was the 21st birthday for one of them and she was bummed not to be celebrating with her friends at school as planned. We made a party of it though and surprised her by turning our kitchen and common room into a makeshift nightclub and bar, complete with strobe lights, shots, thump-thump music...and a massive hangover.

In any event, happy birthday to him. Mine is on Tuesday and I still remember the one year it fell on Easter, when I was eight or nine years old. My favorite aunt got me an enormous chocolate bar that was made in the image of The Last Supper. To this day I remember it as one of the coolest gifts I ever got. I ate that thing for more than a week, breaking off a different apostle each day, and saving Jesus for last, of course.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you gotta go Jesus first there.

Reaction Score
Note from a retired Manufacturing Professional.
The amazing thing , to me ,is before the epidemic none of the critical medical supplies like Masks,Gloves, surgical gowns were still being domestically manufacturing.
I‘m not sure if 3m even had much US production of N95 masks used in the construction industry. To compound the problem China diverted some of their normal export production to domestic use early in the year.
Heck I was amazed to discover there wasn’t even any massed produced vitamin C in US.
To me invoking the defense production act with few exceptions is like beating a dead horse. It’s no longer , 1952 , or even 1992.
Take for instance the GM plant in Kokomo IN a plant I‘ve actually visited. Thats we’re they are making ventilators In a joint effort with a medical company who is providing the Engineering. They shutdown that plant for automotive electronic components hired and trained 1000 new people. However since we’re in the middle of a pandemic. They had to take steps to ensure the safety of the workers or create a “clean plant”. The good news is GM can transfer what they learned to other plants when they resume production. I know real thinking is in short supply but the same people complaining about shortages are the same people who want everyone locked in their house. That kind of hypocrisy is mind boggling.
We have killed our industrial base and are suffering the consequences of that greed.
(I really like my financial planner but we have had this running argument about the need for an industrial base. He is of the belief which seems to be a almost a universally held opinion in the financial and marketing communities that industry is not needed.
Hopefully even the bean counters of the US are waking up to reality.)
Thank god we protected our defense related industries or there would be zero skills to recreate a semblance of what we once had.
Unfortunately we learned the hard way that national security includes much more than military hardware.

PS in AZ golf is an essential business,as it landscaping,and pest control, barb
I can’t wait to get a haircut , a ponytail with a bald spot isn’t a good look.
i‘m starting to look like a Sedona Cult leader.
Some interesting numbers from France on Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin intervention. Dr Raoult released the results of his latest test on 1061 patients treated with the combination. The most basic result is he saw 5 deaths out of the 1061 patients, a death rate of 0.47%.

For those concerned he did not use a control group consider the rest of France. Which has recorded 129,644 confirmed cases and 13,832 deaths. A death rate of 10.67%.

Just saying.
There 50 companies with alleged cures all just waiting for millions from the US government to move forward and you expect a cheap generic drug to be accepted by the medical establishment That would be like killing the goose who lays golden eggs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In Mass all residential and commercial construction activities are considered essential. I am building a house and my developer is crushing his schedule, should be done a month early. With the quarantine his subs have no distractions. Only problem is scheduling the inspections.

Except in Boston where Walsh shut it down

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Most places I can swap out a tank for about $20.
I can take my existing tank to local Ace and get it refilled for $15.

And guess what, they can’t fully fill the swap tanks. They are between 3/4 to 4/5 full. Some regulation evidently. I have two Blue Rhino tanks, I refill them until they look like they could stand to be replaced and trade them for a new tank.

As for changes, I have started wearing my daily wear contact lenses for two days. I usually get contacts at BJs and they shut down the optical center. Trying to extend my supply.

Gaining weight and not getting enough exercise. I have home equipment, weights a bike and treadmill. But I lack motivation to use them. Bad eating habits have crept in as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mayors in Cambridge and Somerville also shut down construction.

No surprise. Those are the virtue signaling champions. Surprised Newton hasn’t joined them.

Reaction Score
Two of my daughters had their birthdays during this craziness already and I was in the same boat. I usually spend a lot of time searching for the perfect card, so this year I decided to take that time to write each of them a heartfelt message instead, which included my memory of the day each of them was born and my take on what makes each of them special. It was therapeutic for me, and each of them really seemed to appreciate it--or at least I took the tears as a good sign!

It was the 21st birthday for one of them and she was bummed not to be celebrating with her friends at school as planned. We made a party of it though and surprised her by turning our kitchen and common room into a makeshift nightclub and bar, complete with strobe lights, shots, thump-thump music...and a massive hangover.

In any event, happy birthday to him. Mine is on Tuesday and I still remember the one year it fell on Easter, when I was eight or nine years old. My favorite aunt got me an enormous chocolate bar that was made in the image of The Last Supper. To this day I remember it as one of the coolest gifts I ever got. I ate that thing for more than a week, breaking off a different apostle each day, and saving Jesus for last, of course.

Well done and awesome post 88. Happy Easter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And guess what, they can’t fully fill the swap tanks. They are between 3/4 to 4/5 full. Some regulation evidently. I have two Blue Rhino tanks, I refill them until they look like they could stand to be replaced and trade them for a new tank.

As for changes, I have started wearing my daily wear contact lenses for two days. I usually get contacts at BJs and they shut down the optical center. Trying to extend my supply.

Gaining weight and not getting enough exercise. I have home equipment, weights a bike and treadmill. But I lack motivation to use them. Bad eating habits have crept in as well.

I think every one uses their tank to refill until they are pretty sure a swap out gets a better tank.
Have taken a few walks and have done a bunch of yardwork and a few other things I consider exercise. Went fishing twice on a friend's boat last week. I consider it something when you're on your feet all day and constant casting and reeling in. Cardio? Had to beat a brake off my boat trailer on Friday. I gave that a cardio and an arm workout. Went golfing on Saturday. We have some nasty weather coming through tonight where I live it tomorrow is gorgeous weather. If I can get out on water in the afternoon, I'll find some sand to get in some walking.

Reaction Score

I was due for my annual eye exam - I have a box of daily wear contacts left. I haven’t worn contacts since the shut down except once - now that we have to wear masks in NJ to go to stores, I pop contacts in if I have to go out because my glasses steam up. I don’t expect to go out much so I should be able to stretch them, but I wonder if they will make exceptions for expired prescriptions.

I also have narcolepsy. I have 2 medications, one of which is adderrall which for some reason my doctor is unable to write via an electronic prescription -I don’t know what his office’s problem is with the technology, but they don’t seem to be able to do it. And because it’s a controlled substance, the prescriptions he prints out for everything else won’t work. It’s a hot mess. I have a week’s worth left. They are closed to all but telemedicine so I can’t pick anything up. So I’m kind of screwed. And I need it to stay alert enough for work. Good thing I’m not driving.
I realized this this weekend.

Reaction Score
But they WILL get paid...are they paying for supplies with cash? Their suppliers have to wait too
But they aren't getting paid for anything else because they aren't doing anything else. Right now, most of their revenues are shut off.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was due for my annual eye exam - I have a box of daily wear contacts left. I haven’t worn contacts since the shut down except once - now that we have to wear masks in NJ to go to stores, I pop contacts in if I have to go out because my glasses steam up. I don’t expect to go out much so I should be able to stretch them, but I wonder if they will make exceptions for expired prescriptions.

I also have narcolepsy. I have 2 medications, one of which is adderrall which for some reason my doctor is unable to write via an electronic prescription -I don’t know what his office’s problem is with the technology, but they don’t seem to be able to do it. And because it’s a controlled substance, the prescriptions he prints out for everything else won’t work. It’s a hot mess. I have a week’s worth left. They are closed to all but telemedicine so I can’t pick anything up. So I’m kind of screwed. And I need it to stay alert enough for work. Good thing I’m not driving.

I wear the contacts every weekday because I can't get my monitors to be fully clear when I'm working. Then I went out on Saturday, mask and glasses (cool day) and like you they fogged up all over. It's a problem, because the glasses themselves are also protective.

Reaction Score
Don't feel bad. Call him and make him laugh.

I live with him and he’s really going to laugh today as I received a package from Amazon. I don’t remember ordering anything from them and worst of all I don’t know what the heck it is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yeah, controlled substance scripts are much harder to deal with than regular prescriptions. You can thank a decade of pill mills for screwing it up for the those who use the medications correctly.

Reaction Score
1586791485085.png

Majority of studies do not recommend the method for sanitizing commercial or homemade masks either...

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

Following this as I wear daily contacts and was due for an exam also. I'm hoping they relax the yearly check-up requirements otherwise I'm going to run out of lenses in a couple of weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom