OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 46 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On topic, I participated in two “social distancing happy hours” yesterday.

Friends have a diabetic child and were low on alcohol preps. So I masked and gloved up, badged in to one of our empty offices like a masked bandit and nicked about 40 alcohol preps from the first aid kits. Didn’t take them all. They never get used anyway. Brought them to him and we each had a beer in the driveway 6-8 feet apart. It was good to talk to someone in person. Brought him masks my wife made as well.

Later my neighbors set out six chairs, in pairs, again about 8 feet apart, for three couples to have drinks and chat on their lawn. It is called social distancing.

Reaction Score
oy. It's pathetically easy to go shopping with gloves on, pick what you need, check out, load your car, toss gloves in trash - all while never touching your face or your cell phone or any other exposed part of your body you might contaminate. Wipe your cart, wipe your scanner, wipe your door handle and anything else the gloves touched before you toss the gloves in garbage. If one can't handle that, then Darwinism applies.

If you're totally paranoid, wipe all your groceries in your garage and then put them in another bag or box before bringing them into your kitchen. Probably unnecessary, but yes, that works too. And wash all your produce - even unpeeled bananas.

Of course you'll need wipes or a lot of paper towels and spray disinfectant, and that's a different problem, but hey, if you're gonna be thorough...

Today on my bike ride I saw a guy pick his nose while wearing those blue nitrile gloves. Some people are still figuring things out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Scary story. Even if you're young, don't take this thing lightly.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Scary story. Even if you're young, don't take this thing lightly.

I don't need to read another scary story at the moment. But love the avatar pic!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I know he lurks here but doesn’t post. Those of you on UConn twitter know who Ari is. He routinely posts about how he stops at 3 different grocery stores multiple times a week and also about how people who go to state parks are incredibly irresponsible. He’s such a whiny punk but sometimes posts good stuff.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
A video to share with everyone you know.

How, who, and why.

From around 4:12 - 4:20 he keeps saying respirators, but patients would actually be on ventilators, no?

Reaction Score
Brought them to him and we each had a beer in the driveway 6-8 feet apart. It was good to talk to someone in person. Brought him masks my wife made as well.

Later my neighbors set out six chairs, in pairs, again about 8 feet apart, for three couples to have drinks and chat on their lawn. It is called social distancing.

Yeah, I'm not on board with this. I feel like, right now, it's best to just stay inside. The rules for distancing are for food or pertinent issues or supplies. To sit in a driveway having a beer is selfish and foolish. Be smarter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not on board with this. I feel like, right now, it's best to just stay inside. The rules for distancing are for food or pertinent issues or supplies. To sit in a driveway having a beer is selfish and foolish. Be smarter.

There are no “rules”. It was perfectly safe. Meanwhile those people have an at risk diabetic child, and today the mom/wife went shopping today with a mask she didn’t have before. I think their risk went down.

You probably think it was fine that the police arrested a paddle boarder in Malibu who was on the ocean alone. Utter madness and not constitutional. The restrictions on outdoor activity aren’t very well thought out and are largely arbitrary. Outside at distance is the best place to be.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Today on my bike ride I saw a guy pick his nose while wearing those blue nitrile gloves. Some people are still figuring things out.

Maybe it wasn't a pick?

6d5368500088f89fec899b9317161c68--tia-pulls.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

A few of our neighbors got together for similar last night. I do not see an issue with it if space is respected. We're not passing around a bong.

Reaction Score
There are no “rules”. It was perfectly safe. Meanwhile those people have an at risk diabetic child, and today the mom/wife went shopping today with a mask she didn’t have before. I think their risk went down.

You probably think it was fine that the police arrested a paddle boarder in Malibu who was on the ocean alone. Utter madness and not constitutional. The restrictions on outdoor activity aren’t very well thought out and are largely arbitrary. Outside at distance is the best place to be.

Well, it wasn't "perfectly safe". It's your choice to make, but for others who are taking the risk a little more seriously, what people like you are doing surely isn't helping. It's selfish.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
well, here's the thing - PA has a state monopoly. They shut down, including online a couple weeks ago, meaning only places that can deliver to a home address are state distilleries. I placed an order with a PA distillery for several bottles back on 3/22. They were supposed to come within 5 days. Appears they've had issues with breakage and generally being overwhelmed from demand based on my email exchanges. Still hasn't arrived. Thus, I'm low on booze, OK?
I'm feeling a little guilty that I'm about to open a bottle of Faber gin, which I think was your recommendation that detoured me down I-81 & through Scranton to get back to CT from the Finger Lakes last summer.

Reaction Score
Im looking at is as a prison sentence you keep to yourself, and stay away from the crowds stay out of trouble, go outside to get some exercise, but stay away from the gangs though or even exercise in your cell. Honestly I'm getting tired of people saying I can't wait till this ends or predicting when it ends and that drives me crazy, and believe me I get it.

The number 1 thing is your mindset, masks and washing hands are useless if your driven to insanity, you can let it drive you crazy or you can find freedom within the mind. My focus is to survive each and everyday, rather then thinking of the distant future.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm feeling a little guilty that I'm about to open a bottle of Faber gin, which I think was your recommendation that detoured me down I-81 & through Scranton to get back to CT from the Finger Lakes last summer.

lol - that's who I ordered from. Seems they're completely overwhelmed right now.

I honestly haven't used it in anything other than G&Ts and negronis, but I think it performs capably there. Then again, I typically use store brand diet tonic, and I'm used to that taste now. Let me know what you think.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Im looking at is as a prison sentence you keep to yourself, and stay away from the crowds stay out of trouble, go outside to get some exercise, but stay away from the gangs though or even exercise in your cell. Honestly I'm getting tired of people saying I can't wait till this ends or predicting when it ends and that drives me crazy, and believe me I get it.

The number 1 thing is your mindset, masks and washing hands are useless if your driven to insanity, you can let it drive you crazy or you can find freedom within the mind. My focus is to survive each and everyday, rather then thinking of the distant future.

I was always one of those people who scoffed at the Purell users and germophobes before this thing came at us. Figured the more crap one was exposed to, the stronger your immunity system would become. And I rarely ever catch flu or colds.

Now it's kinda like driving - don't tailgate, let tailgaters pass, practice defensive driving, and watch out for the drunks getting in my lane when on the job or in public.

Due to my current job, gloves, wipes, sprays, santizer, no touching face at work, and chainging clothes and washing up in the basement when I get home just became routine immediately. I don't think I'll stick with that after this is over, but for right now and until the "all clear" is rung, it's just what's necessary, so not a big deal behavioral change or hardship. I have enough crap to clean up in my yard to last till summer.

Reaction Score
Right now my wife and I are living like we're in the 60s. Our source of recreation outside is joy riding listening to music. I'm a road warrior so its great to do our scenic drives. Where the area is empty I'll pull over and smoke a stogie while she takes a walk. Both of us clear our minds and get a small sense of relief.

Now that the weather is breaking, we will begin our outdoor activities (gardening for her) and my farting around the yard. I laid off my lawn mowing guy (if that's what its called). I've decided that my lazy arse can cut my own grass. Hope my mower starts up LOL.

Reaction Score
Staying in the house. Not working. Wear gloves to go outside to walk my dogs. Wash with disinfectant soap. Keep my distance from people. Here in Amsterdam all bars and cafes etc. closed. Take out or delivery only from restaurants. Like a ghost town here. No tourists like usual. The economy needs to be opened or we will have a depression on top of a pandemic.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Worldometers shows a 9000 drop off in new cases yesterday! Almost assuredly an error in reporting or misreported because of the weekend but hey it’s nice to have hope for 5 seconds

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was always one of those people who scoffed at the Purell users and germophobes before this thing came at us. Figured the more crap one was exposed to, the stronger your immunity system would become. And I rarely ever catch flu or colds.

I'm not sure you were wrong. I sat next to a Purell guy for years. He was fit but got sick a several times a year.
I took my germ advice from George Carlin:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A few of our neighbors got together for similar last night. I do not see an issue with it if space is respected. We're not passing around a bong.

Did the same Friday and Sunday. A co-worker of Mrs. Diesel came over our house on Friday. They work near each other all week and any contact one of them has had, they other has had as well.

Yesterday a neighbor asked us to go fishing on their boat. Open air and open seas.

I'm all in on keeping the at risk at home and lower risk groups minimizing contact but I'm not going full lockdown. Going to the grocery store is a higher risk than small groups respecting distance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom