OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 47 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you were wrong. I sat next to a Purell guy for years. He was fit but got sick a several times a year.
I took my germ advice from George Carlin:

I never considered myself a germaphobe but when I traveled I would try to take reasonable precautions because I didn't want to get sick and screw up schedules. I'd carry the Handi wipe anti bacterials and keep some purell on hand because there are times I know I'm handling dirty stuff and want to be able to clean up.

In past 20 years I've missed two days of work due to illness. Once around Christmas in 2007 and once while traveling in 2015. Both were one day and I'm sure if it was 24 hour bug or food poisoning.

Reaction Score
Did the same Friday and Sunday. A co-worker of Mrs. Diesel came over our house on Friday. They work near each other all week and any contact one of them has had, they other has had as well.

Yesterday a neighbor asked us to go fishing on their boat. Open air and open seas.

I'm all in on keeping the at risk at home and lower risk groups minimizing contact but I'm not going full lockdown. Going to the grocery store is a higher risk than small groups respecting distance.

Your contact with co-workers and fishing buddies is making your grocery store trips higher risk for others while you are grocery shopping.

Reaction Score
Went in to an empty Cumberland Farms, around 4pm. No coffee for the peeps. But its free to police and hospital workers after 3pm.

Nice appreciation, a nurse who I didn't know hooked me up getting 2 coffees. I thanked her profusely, and she somewhat embarrassed looking, said "its just a coffee".

I let her know my honest 'thanks' was based on her service and sacrifice in these dire times and I genuinely appreciated it. Weird but I think I love our hospital workers. They are our soldiers!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Went in to an empty Cumberland Farms, around 4pm. No coffee for the peeps. But its free to police and hospital workers after 3pm.

Nice appreciation, a nurse who I didn't know hooked me up getting 2 coffees. I thanked her profusely, and she somewhat embarrassed looking, said "its just a coffee".

I let her know my honest 'thanks' was based on her service and sacrifice in these dire times and I genuinely appreciated it. Weird but I think I love our hospital workers. They are our soldiers!
Nice!

It's weird how quickly you forget things. We've been west of the Mississippi for a little over a decade and I forgot all about Cumberland Farms. Where are you located? (I lived in Cumberland, RI for about a year when i was a kid, and my mom spent her last 20 or so years there.)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nice!

It's weird how quickly you forget things. We've been west of the Mississippi for a little over a decade and I forgot all about Cumberland Farms. Where are you located? (I lived in Cumberland, RI for about a year when i was a kid, and my mom spent her last 20 or so years there.)
Cumberland Farms are like the Super Walmart’s of gas stations here now. You could just about do your grocery shopping there.

Reaction Score
Well when this first hit home to me and my small circle (daughter and her rommate who live in their house) we took it very seriously and still do. From March 10th we have been isolated (just seeing each other) and wine played a big part of my time for about 2 1/2 weeks. Then I sobered up for a week and felt good. Today however I saw where Total Wine has preorder curb side pick up so did it, and as as Kramer has said "I'm out there and lovin it".

ps I will see how bad my hangover is after this 3 or 4 day bender. And how dumb or funny my BY posts are.

Reaction Score
Nice!

CT has them splattered around in practically every city.

Reaction Score
Your contact with co-workers and fishing buddies is making your grocery store trips higher risk for others while you are grocery shopping.
Not necessarily. If you are both homebound and no visitors the grocery store is a bigger threat

Reaction Score
CT has them splattered around in practically every city.
Cumberland Farms stores are located in all New England States, New York and Florida. They have expanded over the last few years, building new stores and converting older stores.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Cumberland Farms stores are located in all New England States, New York and Florida. They have expanded over the last few years, building new stores and converting older stores.
Good for them. Next you're going to tell me that RI's wiener shops have proliferated. Now, those I miss!

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I just shipped a 40 lb box of Tyler Phommachanh, paper towels, wipes, isopropyl and laundry detergent to my brother in CT. Said to use his wife's FedEx account. So I did. $191 in shipping. Most expensive groceries he's ever bought, lol.

Unfortunately, I'm now very concerned since overnight he's seemed to develop every single symptom.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So you just Bogart it? Seems rude.

Was watching the Dave Chappelle Kennedy Center special last night. Sarah Silverman told a story of Dave calling her up to come over to her place and smoke a joint. And he did. All by himself. And then he left.

Reaction Score
I am really really hoping the mid-April peak thing is true. Lamont recently said Hartford County won’t peak until late May which just sounds excruciating. Even though that won’t mean “business as usual” for probably another month it will be good for everyone’s psyche to see numbers start to drop. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us have a million cases in a week or so (peaking at about cases a day) then see a week with numbers slowly following then two weeks of sharp dropping. I’m hoping early June we’re down to very new cases.

My best friend is getting married July 4th. Seemed crazy to think it was in jeopardy at the start of this but now it may be. Already cancelled bachelor party (scheduled for May1-4 in Montreal) and the bridal shower was moved from April18 to mid June. In the group chat for the bachelor party I brought up how we may not be able to go to Montreal on March 7th and everyone tonight I was crazy/a wuss. Within a week everyone realized it had no chance.

Getting increasingly hard on my parents/in-laws not seeing my daughter. I’m not sure if the daily pics/video chatting is helping or making it more unbearable.

I feel terrible for my students who are home all day offen in perilous situations. I have a student with Autism who signs off his daily contact with me “seeya April 20th!” Which is the day we aee supposed to return but we have all accepted among the teachers we won’t be back this year.

obviously these are fairly selfish thoughts as someone has stayed healthy and not had anyone close to me afflicted but everyone is fighting with something right now.
I can’t find the article but I read today that a significant number of kids hadn’t logged in to engage with their schools during the remote learning period once. I think it was over 50% but I can’t find the article. They were mainly in already poor performing schools and kids whose families were sharing devices or relying on older kids to watch younger kids while parents worked. These kids may not see school until next fall and will have potentially a 5/6 month gap. If they push them to the next grade, there will be material they haven’t learned and they will struggle from here on out. And if they hold them back, you’ve disrupted a massive number of kids.

The big story - poor performing schools become non-performing schools. Heartbreaking is a good word. My own child has an IEP which is difficult to uphold but I can help her a little and we’ll figure it out. I don’t know what to do for these other kids and I know teachers are trying.

Reaction Score
Nice personal touch here:

1586265224840.png

Reaction Score
I can’t find the article but I read today that a significant number of kids hadn’t logged in to engage with their schools during the remote learning period once. I think it was over 50% but I can’t find the article. They were mainly in already poor performing schools and kids whose families were sharing devices or relying on older kids to watch younger kids while parents worked. These kids may not see school until next fall and will have potentially a 5/6 month gap. If they push them to the next grade, there will be material they haven’t learned and they will struggle from here on out. And if they hold them back, you’ve disrupted a massive number of kids.

The big story - poor performing schools become non-performing schools. Heartbreaking is a good word. My own child has an IEP which is difficult to uphold but I can help her a little and we’ll figure it out. I don’t know what to do for these other kids and I know teachers are trying.

It's not the kids it's the parents. And it follows income lines. Upper class parents have the means to make sure that their kids are keeping up with classwork. Poorer kids receive less help from their parents who's priority is keeping food on the table. Not really surprising but something that needs to be paid attention to.

Reaction Score
It's not the kids it's the parents. And it follows income lines. Upper class parents have the means to make sure that their kids are keeping up with classwork. Poorer kids receive less help from their parents who's priority is keeping food on the table. Not really surprising but something that needs to be paid attention to.
I might add that American poor parents don't value education as much as they should. Sure its important but not treated as the means out of poverty (think immigrants). Its a sad reality because education (not necessarily the degree) is paramount to gaining a better life.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I teach special education in East Hartford. Elementary level. I think 3/21 of my kids have done ANYTHING from what the district posts or my other resources the last two weeks. It’s very frustrating because I am busting my ass trying every avenue to reach out, (and subsequently logging the never ending contacts) modifying the work the district has sent out and posting video lessons because that is what the district expects but I know it’s falling on mostly deaf ears. Especially with my kids who are getting it from their general ed teacher as well.
I’m currently working on my Masters in Ed Leadership so this whole situation is an interesting case study for me.

I was very excited to hear that the district was able to acquire iPads for students who needed them but the parents had to go pick them up. A lot of the families who don’t have devices also don’t have cars.

Reaction Score
Not to change the subject but....

in Italy new cases are almost half of what they were at their peak a month ago. In Mid-March they were 6,500 a day and yesterday they were near 3,500. China reported no deaths but if you believe China?

Reaction Score
Not to change the subject but....

in Italy new cases are almost half of what they were at their peak a month ago. In Mid-March they were 6,500 a day and yesterday they were near 3,500. China reported no deaths but if you believe China?
#'s are certainly starting to look better. It's bad but things don't look as bad as I feared.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom