OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 48 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
#'s are certainly starting to look better. It's bad but things don't look as bad as I feared.
And it will be key that these, and all countries keep these measures in place long enough to quash this reasonably far enough now so that future resurgence pre-vaccine can be more easily quashed.

Mass rapid testing capabilities will be the single most important thing in the coming few months.

Reaction Score
Not to change the subject but....

in Italy new cases are almost half of what they were at their peak a month ago. In Mid-March they were 6,500 a day and yesterday they were near 3,500. China reported no deaths but if you believe China?

China has reported 36 deaths since 3/27. Hard to believe the numbers coming out of there right now.

Reaction Score
I teach special education in East Hartford. Elementary level. I think 3/21 of my kids have done ANYTHING from what the district posts or my other resources the last two weeks. It’s very frustrating because I am busting my ass trying every avenue to reach out, (and subsequently logging the never ending contacts) modifying the work the district has sent out and posting video lessons because that is what the district expects but I know it’s falling on mostly deaf ears. Especially with my kids who are getting it from their general ed teacher as well.
I’m currently working on my Masters in Ed Leadership so this whole situation is an interesting case study for me.

I was very excited to hear that the district was able to acquire iPads for students who needed them but the parents had to go pick them up. A lot of the families who don’t have devices also don’t have cars.
It’s definitely not the teachers. I wish I could find the article because it was really well written and even in districts that had gone crazy finding devices for kids, they either couldn’t get them to them or found that the kids didn’t have internet access. One kid had been going to the library to do online work and obviously that was out.
They talked about teachers mailing packets and driving packets to kids. It’s really sad to see how bad this is going to be.
It’s poverty and it’s immigrant communities- I think it’s also language barriers. If you can’t read the communications mailed or emailed to you or understand the phone calls coming in because English isn’t your first language (as a parent), how can you help your kid with their work? Or make sure they understand how to access the content? Or log in each day if YOU EVEN HAVE access? And if you’re working, you’ve got other stuff going on.
This is a pretty bad situation and I feel for the kids who will suffer.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I can't find it right now, but a good friend of ours who's a teacher in Stamford sent me a great meme about a week ago that said something like "a lot a MF'in parents about to find out the teachers ain't the problem!" :D

Reaction Score
Let's all be glad Mike Gundy isn't making important decisions

And I hope I’m not going to be inappropriate here but today on the WH briefing, Fauci was talking about how they’ve seen a much higher rate of serious COVID-19 infection in black Americans and it didn’t seem to follow the usually age breakdown.
They’re hoping to have a better understanding by the end of the week.
But bring back a bunch of young, otherwise healthy athletes, many who are young black men, and expose them to a group situation that is not essential? When they may be at 4x greater risk than a young white player? That’s not right. Not right for anyone but that’s really scary to me.

Reaction Score
I can't find it right now, but a good friend of ours who's a teacher in Stamford sent me a great meme about a week ago that said something like "a lot a MF'in parents about to find out the teachers ain't the problem!" :D
Oh, I found out HARD. The last 3 days I had to help my HS freshman so she wouldn’t get incompletes in 2 classes (just turn it in and get a 4.0). I said I’d type her history project for her. I won’t lie, I may have added a snarky line in it - “The Opium War of 1842, not to be confused with the War on Drugs led by Nancy Reagan in the 1980s”. My kid wasn’t focusing and I got bored waiting for her to tell me what to type.
She also put a picture of Matthew Perry in for Commodore Perry (whose name was Matthew). She did it ironically. But yeah, I can’t believe anyone has to deal with her. She’s fun if you don’t need her to do anything.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
After donning gloves for store visits I finally went to mask wearing on Monday after being at my local supermarket and seeing the clerk with no mask and me wondering what I was doing. If she was there for me to buy food then I should be protecting her from me.

I am all in when I need to go out.

If it was just me and my wife we could plan meals for two weeks without shopping. But my sister in law is with us from Astoria (3 weeks now) and she eats. And eats. And she has no money and that pot she pissed in has a hole.

Reaction Score
And I hope I’m not going to be inappropriate here but today on the WH briefing, Fauci was talking about how they’ve seen a much higher rate of serious COVID-19 infection in black Americans and it didn’t seem to follow the usually age breakdown.
They’re hoping to have a better understanding by the end of the week.
But bring back a bunch of young, otherwise healthy athletes, many who are young black men, and expose them to a group situation that is not essential? When they may be at 4x greater risk than a young white player? That’s not right. Not right for anyone but that’s really scary to me.
I said that would be the case since day 1, it's really bizarre they're just now figuring it out and or talking about it publicly for the first time.

More poverty, more people living close together, living in food deserts, more hypertension overall and manifests itself at a younger age, more diabetes, more asthma, more blood disorders like sickle cell, more lung scarring, despite less smoking more lung cancer, less access to good health care.

Reaction Score
I said that would be the case since day 1, it's really bizarre they're just now figuring it out and or talking about it publicly for the first time.

More poverty, more people living close together, living in food deserts, more hypertension overall and manifests itself at a younger age, more diabetes, more asthma, more blood disorders like sickle cell, more lung scarring, despite less smoking more lung cancer, less access to good health care.
I wondered if they would find it myself, but the initial places it was happening seemed to be race agnostic. I that if they do find a higher prevalence or severity in certain races or ethnicities, that doesn’t make others feel invincible (like the spring breakers in Florida who thought it was an old people disease).
Just like education, this is shining a light on disparities in healthcare.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yesterday was the third straight day where new cases were below the previous highest number. Could mean nothing. Could mean we’re running out of tests. Could mean we’re starting to see a positive trend. Could be due for a big spike. Something to keep an eye on.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
There is some interesting commentary here about estimated Coronavirus pandemic peak dates for each state. (Scroll down for the list of charts for all states) The light orange background data in each graph is particularly interesting (to me, anyway) - it shows the potential variation from the the projection, based on variables including how aggressively state leaders have acted and will act to stem the spread of the virus.
Coronavirus State-By-State Projections: When Will Each State Peak?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yesterday was the third straight day where new cases were below the previous highest number. Could mean nothing. Could mean we’re running out of tests. Could mean we’re starting to see a positive trend. Could be due for a big spike. Something to keep an eye on.
We are adding more and more tests every day. In NY, the daily new cases seems to be heading down. Yesterday there was a dramatic drop in intubations in NY as well. The national models are heading down with some as low as 60 thousand. That's a lot of folks but we stared at 2.5 million.

Reaction Score
There is some interesting commentary here about estimated Coronavirus pandemic peak dates for each state. (Scroll down for the list of charts for all states) The light orange background data in each graph is particularly interesting (to me, anyway) - it shows the potential variation from the the projection, based on how aggressively state leaders have acted and will act to stem the spread of the virus.

According to Murray New York State will peak tommow (April 9th) with 878 deaths. That will be easy to check.

Reaction Score
Pretty soon, everyone will be able to get a home test kit from Abbott labs or BD and test to see if they have, or had CV19. If you have the anitbodies present, you should be allowed to go back to work, imo

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Pretty soon, everyone will be able to get a home test kit from Abbott labs or BD and test to see if they have, or had CV19. If you have the anitbodies present, you should be allowed to go back to work, imo
Interesting. Has someone concluded that if you've had it, you have immunity and can't "get" it or carry it again? I thought that was still t.b.d.

Reaction Score
After donning gloves for store visits I finally went to mask wearing on Monday after being at my local supermarket and seeing the clerk with no mask and me wondering what I was doing. If she was there for me to buy food then I should be protecting her from me.

I am all in when I need to go out.

If it was just me and my wife we could plan meals for two weeks without shopping. But my sister in law is with us from Astoria (3 weeks now) and she eats. And eats. And she has no money and that pot she pissed in has a hole.

I'm sure she's happy as a clam being cooped up with you for a month.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Has someone concluded that if you've had it, you have immunity and can't "get" it or carry it again? I thought that was still t.b.d.
THey don't know at the 100% level. But chances are very high, like 99%, that any post disease immunity will be over 18 months which will get us into vaccine territory.

Reaction Score
I hope it includes multiple tests. Would hate to be a one-timer (with good news), yet having to look/wait for it again if needed again.

I know if you feel symptoms then of course take the test, but the thermometer is perhaps your first test.

As for people going back to work, its a tough call. Some asymptomatic people or those who fell good enough to work may be exposing others. Just saying for a lot of people it may an economic decision vs health decision.

And you can't get a doctor's note for certification.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There is some interesting commentary here about estimated Coronavirus pandemic peak dates for each state. (Scroll down for the list of charts for all states) The light orange background data in each graph is particularly interesting (to me, anyway) - it shows the potential variation from the the projection, based on variables including how aggressively state leaders have acted and will act to stem the spread of the virus.
Wow this is a great resource. Thank you!

Reaction Score
The IHME model linked here has some serious flaws. You really can't model this disease. We just don't know enough about it in general (no idea the R0 - saw study that suggested it was 2x higher than first thought, no idea how many people have it, no idea how many asymptomatic, etc.).

Reaction Score
I’ve heard 99.9%
They are proceeding with a plasma test from patients who have recovered to inject health care workers.
Anyone who tells you we can’t resume a semblance of normalcy before we have a vaccine is woefully ignorant or agenda driven.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’ve heard 99.9%
They are proceeding with a plasma test from patients who have recovered to inject health care workers.
Anyone who tell you we can’t resume a semblance of normalcy before we have a vaccine is woefully ignorant or agenda driven.

Saw a story yesterday that 51 South Koreans who were declared "recovered" have contracted it again. Or maybe the earlier tests were faulty and they had either mild cases or it just went dormant for a couple of weeks. They're simply not sure wth happened with those 51 at this point.

Reaction Score
Reporting meat plants shutting down. Not sure of the affect in the Northeast and elsewhere but I see freezers getting stuffed this month. Good time to try vegetarian diets or at least a blended version.

Not sure what this means to by-products (e.g. milk, cheese, eggs, etc.).

Linky

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Reporting meat plants shutting down. Not sure of the affect in the Northeast and elsewhere but I see freezers getting stuffed this month. Good time to try vegetarian diets or at least a blended version.

Not sure what this means to by-products (e.g. milk, cheese, eggs, etc.).

Linky
48612ECE-5979-4397-B395-A0CD442800A7.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom