OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 50 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
I wonder if people are going to rush back into things like nothing happened when places open or if we’ll remain cautious. Will probably carry hand sanitizer for a while.
That is the million dollar question. Movie theaters, offices, retail stores, restaurants, etc., I really don't see tight indoor places returning to normalcy at least this year. People touching merchandise, people coughing, people bunched up at the checkout lines will invoke fear for a long time. Also we've been isolating and haven't heard the various personal stories of how people caught it (where, how and from who).

I'm not even sure what normal will be.

Reaction Score
I wonder if people are going to rush back into things like nothing happened when places open or if we’ll remain cautious. Will probably carry hand sanitizer for a while.
I think we’ll see just about everything. There are plenty of people already acting like nothing is going on and are doing the bare minimum from a being cautious standpoint. I think people who have been very cautious will continue to do so.

I, like everyone else I am sure, am very tired of the social distancing but I’m just not quite ready to be heading to a packed stadium, get on an airplane, etc and I’m not quite sure when I will be ready. I know of people that would do any of that tomorrow if the situation were relaxed at all.

Reaction Score
Saw a story yesterday that 51 South Koreans who were declared "recovered" have contracted it again. Or maybe the earlier tests were faulty and they had either mild cases or it just went dormant for a couple of weeks. They're simply not sure wth happened with those 51 at this point.
Differing views on whether they were really recovered or a false negative test

Paul Hunter, an infectious diseases professor at the University of East Anglia, told MailOnline that the cases were far more likely to be “reactivations” — or even just a sign of current testing being flawed.
“Personally, I think the most likely explanation is that the clearance samples were false negative,” Hunter told the site.

Professor Hunter highlighted that conventional coronavirus tests can give the wrong result 20 to 30 per cent of the time.

He believes the test the South Korean patients were given before being released from quarantine wrongly showed they had recovered, when they were actually were still infected.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We're on week 2 of spring break.

15 Reasons Al Bundy Was The Greatest Man On TV | Married with ...

I had that two weeks ago. March 13-24. My kids spring break was supposed to be next week, but when this hit it got moved up a month. Kids got two weeks off, teachers got one week off and used the second week to develop online classwork.

Best part? My son informed seniors are still planning a senior skip day. I thought that was a pretty ballsy and funny move for online schooling. I didn't bother to tell him they'd be better off waiting as long as possible so they could possibly do something fun outside.

Reaction Score
There will be no rushing back. The way things closed and allowed gatherings decreased will be done in reverse slowly. People that worked in cubicles will have to be spread out. Restaurants will have to limit capacity. More people that can will still work remotely. Cars and property will be cheaper.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

That is the million dollar question. Movie theaters, offices, retail stores, restaurants, etc., I really don't see tight indoor places returning to normalcy at least this year. People touching merchandise, people coughing, people bunched up at the checkout lines will invoke fear for a long time. Also we've been isolating and haven't heard the various personal stories of how people caught it (where, how and from who).

I'm not even sure what normal will be.

That is an incredibly cool and effective display of the data. I suspect this will change consumption habits. People are going carry and store hand sanitizer for example. I suspect that dining habits will change. I have friends who like the energy of packed Manhattan restaurants (or suburban ones with the same vibe.) That may become less of a thing. If restaurants can't maintain the same number of tables a lot of smaller intimate places will fail. Movie theaters... I don't know. Probably more of the big comfy recliner types. What about broadway or regional theaters? More shopping online is a likelihood, though things were already heading that way.

Reaction Score
This is true, though also consider some deaths attributed to the virus were heavily (if not more so) influenced by a pre-existing condition. Therefore, some unknown percentage of Covid-attributed deaths may not be a death caused directly by Covid.

All of the projections are highly speculative at this point because Covid data is so difficult to accumulate at a very reliable level.

The planning that *needs* to be occurring right now is setting up mass-testing (of Covid and antibodies) and contract tracing infrastructure. This will be key in preventing larger-scale outbreaks after containing the first phase.
I'm not sure what contact tracing would do at this point....everyone is on lockdown. Many care facilities are already acting like everyone has. Once we get off lockdown maybe the tracing becomes more significant. IMO the game changer will be the antibody test...when we find out what % of people were exposed and asymptomatic and those previously infected can resume normal activity

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what contact tracing would do at this point....everyone is on lockdown. Many care facilities are already acting like everyone has. Once we get off lockdown maybe the tracing becomes more significant. IMO the game changer will be the antibody test...when we find out what % of people were exposed and asymptomatic and those previously infected can resume normal activity
Not my post, but I think he's saying institutions should be gearing up for phase II, which will be a return to work in areas that are not hot spots with follow up and contact tracing on new cases.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because there will be a glut of cars and many people will be unable to afford their pre Covid lifestyle.
Ah, got it. I hope you are wrong.

Reaction Score
The thing is deaths not attributed to the virus are way up and we’re not testing all the corpses.

Nothing personal. That's just wrong.

In 2020 average deaths per day in the USA are 7,969(CDC). That's all deaths including Corona. There have been 16,000+ from Corona in 2020 in the USA, or about 161 per day. So non-virus deaths are very close to average.

Link here. Coronavirus daily deaths vs all causes United States 2020 | Statista

Reaction Score
Here's some info on bleach: COVID-19 – Disinfecting with Bleach

• Bleach expires 1 year from production.
  • Bleach can start to lose potency quickly after opening if not stored correctly.
  • Homemade cleaning solutions made with bleach lose efficacy after 24 hours.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Oh I like the stats Pal. What we need to compare is 2019 and 2020 numbers.
We know the 2017 numbers were 7,700 a day. They go up a bit each year as the population increases, they certainly didn't go down. They are up to just under 8,000 this year, including Coronavirus which is about 161 a day when spread over the year. So clearly. Undeniably. Non-coronations deaths this year are not "way up." You don't have to accept it. But it is a fact.

Reaction Score
Not my post, but I think he's saying institutions should be gearing up for phase II, which will be a return to work in areas that are not hot spots with follow up and contact tracing on new cases.
Bingo.

Reaction Score
We know the 2017 numbers were 7,700 a day. They go up a bit each year as the population increases, they certainly didn't go down. They are up to just under 8,000 this year, including Coronavirus which is about 161 a day when spread over the year. So clearly. Undeniably. Non-coronations deaths this year are not "way up." You don't have to accept it. But it is a fact.
Well in 2019 there were 253,000 deaths in a March. Do you have the March total for this year? I just want to see for myself. Probably have too much free time on my hands these days!

Reaction Score
Because there will be a glut of cars and many people will be unable to afford their pre Covid lifestyle.
Yes, cars maybe. But interest rates are low. So other than the people that can’t work due to the virus, those that can work from home have very little change in our lives. There won’t be a lot of people selling - there may be demand for homes (Due to rates) and no inventory. That may keep values at lease stable. It could drive prices up. Zillow isn’t a great tool to price a house for sale, but it’s solid for tracking trends over time. The market looks pretty stable.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife called and wanted me to get take out from our Chinese Restaurant of choice in Killingworth. I banned myself from eating Chinese since January. Well, the restaurant was closed. As was the North Madison restaurant.

Are you guys seeing any that are open? No, I'm not looking to go there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom