OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 51 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
My wife called and wanted me to get take out from our Chinese Restaurant of choice in Killingworth. I banned myself from eating Chinese since January. Well, the restaurant was closed. As was the North Madison restaurant.

Are you guys seeing any that are open? No, I'm not looking to go there.

The North Madison place is better than the Killingworth one..LOL

But no Chinese for me for a while

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The North Madison place is better than the Killingworth one..LOL

But no Chinese for me for a while
8 years ago there was a couple running the North Madison one and the food was really good. Then the place closed for weeks. Then two guys were there and we gave it a chance a couple of times and it was bad. We found the Killingworth Great Wall (near Davinci's). Now the North Madison place has new people.

Reaction Score
Well in 2019 there were 253,000 deaths in a March. Do you have the March total for this year? I just want to see for myself. Probably have too much free time on my hands these days!

The March deaths for 2020 were not "way up." In reality, they were way down. The 253,000 in 2019 were high.

In March 2020 there were 193,000 deaths. About 34,000 less deaths than the average death in March for the past four years and way down from 2019's 253,000. The average number of deaths in the US for March over the four years prior to 2020 (2016 – 2019) is 227,000. This page has links to the sites they found the stats but you have to do your own work from now on.

Reaction Score
The March deaths for 2020 were not "way up." In reality, they were way down. The 253,000 in 2019 were high.

In March 2020 there were 193,000 deaths. About 34,000 less deaths than the average death in March for the past four years and way down from 2019's 253,000. The average number of deaths in the US for March over the four years prior to 2020 (2016 – 2019) is 227,000. This page has links to the sites they found the stats but you have to do your own work from now on.

This is fascinating.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife called and wanted me to get take out from our Chinese Restaurant of choice in Killingworth. I banned myself from eating Chinese since January. Well, the restaurant was closed. As was the North Madison restaurant.

Are you guys seeing any that are open? No, I'm not looking to go there.
I think Jia Mei is still open.

Reaction Score
I work for a large insurer in the state, we've extended our mandatory work from home through the end of May. Will be reevaluating in late May.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I work for a large insurer in the state, we've extended our mandatory work from home through the end of May. Will be reevaluating in late May.
May 20 is the new restaurants/bars/schools date. I wonder if we hit it

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The thing is deaths not attributed to the virus are way up and we’re not testing all the corpses.

What's the evidence of this? Automotive deaths have to be way down. Crime is way way down. The doctors say that the hospitals, aside from COVID 19 cases, are empty. Nobody is going in to the hospital.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People aren't driving; glut of cars.

Won't happen. We will see people wanting to live in single family homes, rather than crowded cities. We will see people wanting cars rather than mass transit. Driving time may decrease, but work from home is most likely to be a 2 days out of 5 situation for most people who can do it.

Reaction Score
Clearly, this not going to be nearly as bad as projections in "most" of the country so the overreaction is working.

Reaction Score
My wife was supposed to run first first 1/2 marathon this weekend, but since it is postponed to October, I mapped out a course in our neighborhood, made signs and meeting her with the car at key points of turning.

I'm passing the time reading Last Dance by John Feinstein. :)

Finished in 2:02! Not bad for a first 1/2 marathon and three glasses of wine last night!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is completely misleading because the death rates didn't start peaking in some areas until very recently because we didn't slow this down when we had the chance. The March numbers say very little at this point.

What a shock that a media source with the line "We report the truth - and leave the Russia-Collusion fairy tale to the conspiracy media" would propagate a false talking point that misses the bigger picture altogether.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Clearly, this not going to be nearly as bad as projections in "most" of the country so the overreaction is working.
It’s funny how quickly the deaths went from 1-2 million to best case 200,000 to maybe 60,000. If we’re truly creating now at around 15000 I think 40-50,000. Does Vegas have lines?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What's the evidence of this? Automotive deaths have to be way down. Crime is way way down. The doctors say that the hospitals, aside from COVID 19 cases, are empty. Nobody is going in to the hospital.
I know CCMC is furloughing everyone except ICUs basically.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It’s funny how quickly the deaths went from 1-2 million to best case 200,000 to maybe 60,000. If we’re truly creating now at around 15000 I think 40-50,000. Does Vegas have lines?

It's funny that our government has to lie to people for them to listen to them? If the government told us the truth and then no one listened and a million people died I'm sure you'd make the same post.

Reaction Score
Like many other things in life that can be used as a political weapon, I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I believe that the current covid is a real threat to many Americans who present certain risk factors. In fact I believe that I might fall into this category due to my hypertension and certain other genetic “gifts”. The few times I have had the flu or the norovirus have been particularly challenging for me even though I am in my early 40’s now. I could very well be one of those stories of seemingly healthy father of two that passes too soon.

I believe many of those who are at most risk to covid are also at risk for other unrelated afflictions, including but not limited to seasonal flu.

I believe that the mandatory quarantine effectively mitigates the risks of many of these afflictions. Maybe that explains the lower mortality rates - the vulnerable people that would be passing away in years past have lessened their exposure to the triggers that could initiate such a slide.

I believe that many but not all of the people who would secumb to covid would also secumb to the things that don’t generate the same press.

I believe the greatest gift that some people possess, which we often chalkup to the luck of reaching old age, are properly functioning parts.

As such, I believe that the we (the world) are overreacting to the covid threat. We cannot keep the inevitable at bay forever, and we will destroy our economy and many lives in the effort of trying.

The pivot to a way of life that is more sustainable, starting with a gradual relaxation of restrictions is coming.

I think everyone with a say in these decisions know this, and what happens in between are the game of politics.

Reaction Score
My wife was supposed to run first first 1/2 marathon this weekend, but since it is postponed to October, I mapped out a course in our neighborhood, made signs and meeting her with the car at key points of turning.

I'm passing the time reading Last Dance by John Feinstein. :)

She started around 9ish this morning and she's more than halfway done! I'll update times later on today.
Well done....but you could have accompanied her...at least on a bicycle..;)

Reaction Score
This is completely misleading because the death rates didn't start peaking in some areas until very recently because we didn't slow this down when we had the chance. The March numbers say very little at this point.

What a shock that a media source with the line "We report the truth - and leave the Russia-Collusion fairy tale to the conspiracy media" would propagate a false talking point that misses the bigger picture altogether.

It's not misleading at all. It is simply matching apples to apples for the purpose of drawing a comparison and everything is labeled. The conversation was about whether the non-corona death rate had risen. It hasn't.

The March numbers are the March numbers. You are trying to make something political that is not political at all. In fact, I can not tell what you are trying to say at all.

Do you have a point?

Reaction Score
It's not misleading at all. It is simply matching apples to apples for the purpose of drawing a comparison and everything is labeled. The conversation was about whether the non-corona death rate had risen. It hasn't.

The March numbers are the March numbers. You are trying to make something political that is not political at all. In fact, I can not tell what you are trying to say at all.

Do you have a point?
I do have a point, thanks for asking. And that is using March numbers to prove the Coronavirus hasn't really affected the death rate in this country says very little because those numbers were early on and continued to grow exponentially when we had the chance to contain this. That's the very essence of what "flattening the curve" is all about. As a result, we're now days away from being the world leader in Coronavirus deaths.

I'm glad we're taking it seriously now because without social distancing, millions may well have died. But I find it sad that a lot of Americans are feeling good that we'll "only" have tens of thousands of avoidable deaths.

Reaction Score
Connecticut:

Extension of all previously enacted closures, distancing, and safety measures through May 20

Also under today’s executive order, the deadlines for all closure, distancing, and safety measures enacted to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 that are contained within previously enacted executive orders are extended through at least May 20. This applies to the following provisions:

• Executive Order No. 7D, Section 2, imposing limits on restaurant, bar, and private club operations
  • Executive Order No. 7D, Section 3, closing on-site operations at off-track betting facilities
  • Executive Order No. 7D, Section 4, closing operations at gyms, sports, fitness, and recreation facilities and movie theaters
  • Executive Order No. 7F, Section 1, closing large shopping malls
  • Executive Order No. 7F, Section 2, closing places of public amusement
  • Executive Order No. 7H, Section 1, imposing safety and distancing measures for workplaces and non-essential businesses
  • Executive Order No. 7N, Section 1, prohibiting social and recreational gatherings of more than five people
  • Executive Order No. 7N, Section 3, restricting retail operations

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom