OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 53 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Wife and out early today (its her birthday as well as my oldest daughter), went to the grocery store for cake and stuff. Just reporting that practically everyone had a face mask on and wearing gloves. Even saw a woman with a damn plexiglass shield / helmet thingy.

I was proud to see so many conscientious people, including those in their cars riding around in masks. Not sure why they were them inside the car, but hey its good to see masks period.

I had my deck redone, and the carpenter 2 weeks ago only had gloves (of course). This morning he came to haul away the debris and he and his co-worker had masks on. Nice!

Also stopped at the Cumberland Farms and self serve coffee is out, a worker is making coffee for people. Also can't use your own cups anymore. Clerks had no protection :eek:, management can do better.

I will say 2 months ago I would have been scared shirtless living like this in America, but this new norm is a great thing for now.

Just saying Fairfield County representing, taking care of business and trying our best to flatten that damn curve!
I stopped in a cumbies yesterday for the first time in a month man it was weird in there. I wonder if they’re going to go back to prepare foods when this passes. Their chorizo egg wrap is a big guilty pleasure.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I stopped in a cumbies yesterday for the first time in a month man it was weird in there. I wonder if they’re going to go back to prepare foods when this passes. Their chorizo egg wrap is a big guilty pleasure.

For some reason this reminded me of something else I miss from the northeast - linguica pizza.

Reaction Score
You seem to have a weird interest with death meters.
The death metrics are the most important. But I am interested in all the metrics. New York had it's first negative ICU bed count on Thursday (meaning 17 ICU beds came open). That was avery important milestone.

The metrics contain the real information. That is the data that tells us what is really happening. Many of the stories are interesting or enlightening. But slicing and dicing the data gives us the best view of reality. And they are the best predictor of the future.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wife and out early today (its her birthday as well as my oldest daughter), went to the grocery store for cake and stuff. Just reporting that practically everyone had a face mask on and wearing gloves. Even saw a woman with a damn plexiglass shield / helmet thingy.

I was proud to see so many conscientious people, including those in their cars riding around in masks. Not sure why they were them inside the car, but hey its good to see masks period.

I had my deck redone, and the carpenter 2 weeks ago only had gloves (of course). This morning he came to haul away the debris and he and his co-worker had masks on. Nice!

Also stopped at the Cumberland Farms and self serve coffee is out, a worker is making coffee for people. Also can't use your own cups anymore. Clerks had no protection :eek:, management can do better.

I will say 2 months ago I would have been scared shirtless living like this in America, but this new norm is a great thing for now.

Just saying Fairfield County representing, taking care of business and trying our best to flatten that damn curve!
One of the things I have noticed is that most small contracting jobs/landscapers/tree removal etc. still seems to be going on everywhere. Is there an exception for construction projects, etc. or are people deciding for themselves that they are essential? Im not talking about road projects, more like someone getting siding replaced.

Reaction Score
They could be considered essential I clean out house for staging or if someone passes and I’m considered essential for the real estate market

Reaction Score
One of the things I have noticed is that most small contracting jobs/landscapers/tree removal etc. still seems to be going on everywhere. Is there an exception for construction projects, etc. or are people deciding for themselves that they are essential? Im not talking about road projects, more like someone getting siding replaced.
There must be an exception because I live in Chicago where we've been pretty strict with stay at home and I still have workers building the house next to me. I have no clue how that's more essential than what most of us do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

OTOH, now would be a brilliant time for road construction with daily traffic down as low as we're ever going to see it.

Reaction Score
What shortages are pissing you off?? For me it's flour, I wanted to fire up my piza oven this weekend and make a bunch of pies, went out yesterday and could not find any flour in the stores.

Reaction Score

Sunshine and fresh air are enemies to viruses. If workers like landscapers maintain ther distance from one another, they should be relatively safe. We just had a huge windstorm in DC and tree removal people were everywhere. But they seemed to be following guidelines and many wore masks.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Our garage door broke last week. As in the top panel actually broke, so the door just starts collapsing inward when you try to open it. Can't even open it manually. Kind of a PITA, but I'm inclined to just deal with it until until the COVID thing settles down rather than bring contractors in now.

Reaction Score
Construction is pretty much going on everywhere.
Construction is essential. We cannot afford to lay off all the construction personnel. Especially by EO all at once. Job sites generally being safe. State is in constant contact with both industry and trades. It’s ok for now. May be able to get through if it doesn’t get too much worse.

Reaction Score
Hospitals are asking the federal government because of incredible amount of shortage on masks and equipment. Especially in the harder hit areas.

For example, if I were to reuse a mask 2 months ago after seeing one patient with the regular flu and using that same mask for another patient I would likely get reported and suspended.

Now, they are asking us to use the same mask for weeks at a time because of the shortage. Distributors do not have enough supply and the little supply they do have is being price gouged as all these hospital systems bid for them. A 50 cent mask is going for $4-5.

My practice can not even buy and mask/gloves/cleaning equipment for the forseable future cause our vendors just do not have them to provide.

My small 15 person company just bought 1000 n95 masks and a case of Clorox wipes. I find it extremely difficult to believe companies with much larger purchasing power can't get these things from their supplier if I was able to. It was first come, first serve no back orders

Reaction Score
Stop and shop you can't order deli meat at the counter. You have to download an app and place your order. They recommend doing it before you leave to shop as it takes 45 min to fulfill order. Their kiosks in the store are also turned off (branford)

Reaction Score
Construction is pretty much going on everywhere.
My company does work on high rise buildings. Boston commercial construction has been shut down for a while. I believe there was a stipulation that single family residential could continue. NYC commercial construction has been shut down about 2 weeks ago. However, they deemed low income housing to be able to continue as essential. Go figure. We are still working on a housing project renovation that is gigantic and occupied. Not sure why that loophole is allowed. Meanwhile half my company has gotten sick. NYC developers do not gaf about laborers. Our sole job in CT has continued throughout.

One of the low income new projects just got shutdown for a week while they clean the site after a worker tested positive. That will be a hefty cleaning bill as its a massive job site.

We just got a sizable bailout too, of which will mostly translate to bonuses as we're still operable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In CT landscaping companies can still operate. Its part of public safety the Gov't claims. Construction is still going on, I assume unfinished projects (particularly big buildings and the like) need to get finished for payments to be made, hence contract fulfillment.

I know my carpenter is busy with so many home improvements going on. I guess with people being at home 24/7, a lot of undone or prolonged jobs become more noticeable. My wife is bringing up stuff from 3 years ago that I kept putting off. Honey Do lists are impossible to put off nowadays, especially if one wants peace while quarantining.

Also people want their prisons to be much more comfortable (as in my case with remodeling my deck).

Reaction Score
My small 15 person company just bought 1000 n95 masks and a case of Clorox wipes. I find it extremely difficult to believe companies with much larger purchasing power can't get these things from their supplier if I was able to. It was first come, first serve no back orders
That’s what our COO told us last week. Hopefully your right and it’s easier now. Thanks

Reaction Score
In CT landscaping companies can still operate. Its part of public safety the Gov't claims. Construction is still going on, I assume unfinished projects (particularly big buildings and the like) need to get finished for payments to be made, hence contract fulfillment.

I know my carpenter is busy with so many home improvements going on. I guess with people being at home 24/7, a lot of undone or prolonged jobs become more noticeable. My wife is bringing up stuff from 3 years ago that I kept putting off. Honey Do lists are impossible to put off nowadays, especially if one wants peace while quarantining.

Also people want their prisons to be much more comfortable (as in my case with remodeling my deck).
I get it. I would ordinarily pay someone to paint interiors but that seems dangerous. But I’m a pretty good painter, actually. My daughter wants her room painted so I might do it while I’m cooped up.
Is it essential, however, to go to Home Depot to get paint mixed? I’m wearing a mask now so I don’t know. I’m sort of torn. And I can only buy gas for the grill at a place like Home Depot, so if I was going there anyway, is it really wrong?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I get it. I would ordinarily pay someone to paint interiors but that seems dangerous. But I’m a pretty good painter, actually. My daughter wants her room painted so I might do it while I’m cooped up.
Is it essential, however, to go to Home Depot to get paint mixed? I’m wearing a mask now so I don’t know. I’m sort of torn. And I can only buy gas for the grill at a place like Home Depot, so if I was going there anyway, is it really wrong?

No it's not wrong and it's pretty safe if you follow all the safety recommendations. Doesn't sound like you're going out every day for a few things and being careless.

Reaction Score
And I can only buy gas for the grill at a place like Home Depot, so if I was going there anyway, is it really wrong?
Where do you live that you can only buy gas at Home Depot? Almost every store sells propane and I have started using a delivery service to avoid the hassle anyway.

and only you can decide if it’s really “wrong”. Are you more exposed going to the interior of the store, picking out a paint and color, having someone mix it up, buy all the associated supplies like brushes, drop cloths, buckets, cleaners, etc., as opposed to a quick bottle exchange? Maybe, but does that also potentially affect everyone else doing the same thing or the workers? Maybe? But is it wrong or unethical? Who knows?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We made our first supply run in 3+ weeks today, Went to a local, higher end meat market. They were doing curbside delivery if you called ahead (we did). And they were not letting anyone in the store if they weren't wearing a mask. They were on top of it.

Our other stop was walgreens. It was a madhouse, and I'd say less then 20% of the customers were wearing masks.

QUESTION: This morning I dug around in the garage and found 2 unused 3M n95 masks from when I built a wood paddle board for my wife a couple years ago. If we can put them out in the sun during the day and /or in the garage for a total of 3-4 days, should they be considered ok for reuse?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There must be an exception because I live in Chicago where we've been pretty strict with stay at home and I still have workers building the house next to me. I have no clue how that's more essential than what most of us do.

In Mass all residential and commercial construction activities are considered essential. I am building a house and my developer is crushing his schedule, should be done a month early. With the quarantine his subs have no distractions. Only problem is scheduling the inspections.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom