OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 45 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

If you look under the "countries" link it has the usa and state by state information.
Thank you. That's what I was searching for.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Looks like some boneyarders ran out of tequila.

Sitting on the patio drinking a paloma. My booze supply is dangerously low for me, especially brown stuff and gin. The only full bottle of anything I've got is tequila, and a quarter bottle of a reposado, so while I'm not a tequila fan, gonna have to make do for next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Sitting on the patio drinking a paloma. My booze supply is dangerously low for me, especially brown stuff and gin. The only full bottle of anything I've got is tequila, and a quarter bottle of a reposado, so while I'm not a tequila fan, gonna have to make do for next few weeks.

alcohol is being delivered pretty much everywhere in the USA.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
alcohol is being delivered pretty much everywhere in the USA.

well, here's the thing - PA has a state monopoly. They shut down, including online a couple weeks ago, meaning only places that can deliver to a home address are state distilleries. I placed an order with a PA distillery for several bottles back on 3/22. They were supposed to come within 5 days. Appears they've had issues with breakage and generally being overwhelmed from demand based on my email exchanges. Still hasn't arrived. Thus, I'm low on booze, OK?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Looks like the time has finally come for me to go to the grocery store. Made it the last three weeks through a combo of pea pod, instacart, the supplies I stocked up on beforehand, bulk snacks from Amazon, and the true lifesaver of HomeChef meal kits. My wife had a baby on 12/29 so I had actually been doing the pea pod for months even before this. Now times are sold out basically until May, Amazon can send me some pretzels sometime next October and we’re running out of stuff lunches. My sister in-law made everyone in the family cotton masks.

What can I expect out there? Have they started lining people up outside yet? Are people on edge?

I live a mile from Highland Park in Manchester so thankfully I’m not going to a huge store.

Reaction Score
Looks like the time has finally come for me to go to the grocery store. Made it the last three weeks through a combo of pea pod, instacart, the supplies I stocked up on beforehand, bulk snacks from Amazon, and the true lifesaver of HomeChef meal kits. My wife had a baby on 12/29 so I had actually been doing the pea pod for months even before this. Now times are sold out basically until May, Amazon can send me some pretzels sometime next October and we’re running out of stuff lunches. My sister in-law made everyone in the family cotton masks.

What can I expect out there? Have they started lining people up outside yet? Are people on edge?

I live a mile from Highland Park in Manchester so thankfully I’m not going to a huge store.
Don't buy or make single meals with a lot of ingredients. Buy a ton of rice and pasta. Buy a ton of chicken, some beef and frozen veggies and make massive batches of food with spices and sauces to make things flavorful. I get the sense so many people are eating like they always eat. If you want to stay out of the stores, and if the budget is getting tighter this is the way to eat. Basically learn to eat like a bodybuilder. Learn to like oats, peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Get large quantities of protein rich food and you'll never have to go to the store and you'll save your money in these tight times.

Reaction Score

Haven't been since the new guidelines came out a few days ago, but my few trips to stop and shop during this the store isn't packed at all. My last trip on Tuesday the shelves were pretty good. Paper products low, frozen section not great, but other than that you could get what you wanted. The earlier trips the shelves were more barren.

You can kind of sense the anxiety of people in the store, but nobody acting crazy

I've gone to a small store though, don't know how bigger ones are

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
$5 got you $.50 ?

No, the black number is the base amount of the bet. The green number is the profit.
Here, try this one:
1586042203336.png

Playing the ponies is perfect for social isolation.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Went to the coventry Highland Market this afternoon, no line to enter, reasonable amount of people inside, meats selection was fine. Few paper goods and pasta/mac and cheese aisle decimated like most places, but not a bad experience.

Reaction Score
Nice video from Nurse for people to watch concerning gloves and store shopping protection. I'll be sending this to my family as its easy to understand:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Nice video from Nurse for people to watch concerning gloves and store shopping protection. I'll be sending this to my family as its easy to understand:

Link doesn't work.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So actually my wife was able to get an instacart slot for Thursday and has herself convinced we can hold off til then and I shouldn’t go to the store okay...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

oy. It's pathetically easy to go shopping with gloves on, pick what you need, check out, load your car, toss gloves in trash - all while never touching your face or your cell phone or any other exposed part of your body you might contaminate. Wipe your cart, wipe your scanner, wipe your door handle and anything else the gloves touched before you toss the gloves in garbage. If one can't handle that, then Darwinism applies.

If you're totally paranoid, wipe all your groceries in your garage and then put them in another bag or box before bringing them into your kitchen. Probably unnecessary, but yes, that works too. And wash all your produce - even unpeeled bananas.

Of course you'll need wipes or a lot of paper towels and spray disinfectant, and that's a different problem, but hey, if you're gonna be thorough...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
How are things there? Any precautions being taken?

We've been social distancing from social media and the news so I'm not on as much as before.

All our facilities, pools (14 of them), tennis courts, pickelball courts and doggie run are all closed down. All concerts, shows and rehearsals sceduled for March, April and May are either cancelled or postponed. No rehearsals for the two bands I play in. As far as we know, one resident of the community has died of COVID-19. Needless to say this has set off a firestorm and a panic among some residents. We are finishing week 3 of "stay at home." DeSantis has the state in a "stay at home" executive until 4/30. Our main restaurant is doing take out only. They pared down the menu. It has been very successful. We've used it three times so far. They make the best reuben sandwich. Their burgers are really good too. We also have local restaurants are doing take out and delivery.

Went out grocery shopping this morning. Much better in terms of goods as to three weeks ago. They even had paper towels and toilet paper today.

So we do our thing here. I get my 4 mile + bike ride in every morning. I get about an hour of practice in on my horn almost every day. My wife monitors 24 websites so she is busy with that, especially the school system website.

Our family has been affected too. Our oldest son and second son and their families live in CT. The oldest has been layoff from his job as a sales manager at a car dealership in New York. He is non-essentisl. He's filed for unemployment in NY. His wife is a kindergarten teacher in CT. Her pay continues but she works all day getting lessons plans to go viral for her class plus they have both boys home getting work via the internet.

Our second son works from home since the start of this. His hours have been cut in half. His company, out of Norwalk, is a marketing/ research firm that is small. Former UConn women's guard Dixon works with my son. His wife is an RN at Danbury Hospital - one of the CT hot spots. The wife and I have been making face masks for her and some of her colleagues. The hospital ran out. Told the staff to wash them and re-use them. I cut the patterns and the wife sews them together. We also used vacuum cleaner bags with good HEPA filter ratings to cut out individual filters. We've shipped out 24 masks and 6 dozen filters last Monday. More to go.

Our youngest is a Petty Officer 2nd Class in the Navy. A submariner, he is stationed in Guam. He works on a sub tender. They have been out on deployment with the 7th fleet since before the pandemic broke. They were in Southeast Asia, Japan and South Korea. They returned to Guam last week, resupplied the ship and have left for the sea again. OPSEC doesn't allow me to say much more. I do know he has been tested and is clean as is everyone else on the ship.

Sorry this was a little long. A lot going on with the family and its difficult to be here in Florida and not be able to do too much for them. Thank God for Facetime as we talk the two oldest at least twice a week.

Stay safe out there Boneyarders!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And the CO gets sacked for going public and blindsiding his chain of command.

Optics don't look good on this. Have a feeling he had been nudging higher ups and didn't like the speed of response. Wouldn't surprise me if he was packing up his belongings right after hitting send on the letter.

My son is stationed at Guam. He's given us some info before his ship left a few days ago to join the fleet again. He has been at sea since before the pandemic broke. assingment - Asia.

The Roosevelt will be down for a while. Once something like COVID-19 gets on a ship, it runs thru the crew and officers. Some of the early cases were flown off the Roosevelt to get medical treatment.

The captain's letter was sent via email to 20+ people and an unsecure server when he felt the brass wasn't moving fast enough. That alone will get you canned.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
We've been social distancing from social media and the news so I'm not on as much as before.

All our facilities, pools (14 of them), tennis courts, pickelball courts and doggie run are all closed down. All concerts, shows and rehearsals sceduled for March, April and May are either cancelled or postponed. No rehearsals for the two bands I play in. As far as we know, one resident of the community has died of COVID-19. Needless to say this has set off a firestorm and a panic among some residents. We are finishing week 3 of "stay at home." DeSantis has the state in a "stay at home" executive until 4/30. Our main restaurant is doing take out only. They pared down the menu. It has been very successful. We've used it three times so far. They make the best reuben sandwich. Their burgers are really good too. We also have local restaurants are doing take out and delivery.

Went out grocery shopping this morning. Much better in terms of goods as to three weeks ago. They even had paper towels and toilet paper today.

So we do our thing here. I get my 4 mile + bike ride in every morning. I get about an hour of practice in on my horn almost every day. My wife monitors 24 websites so she is busy with that, especially the school system website.

Our family has been affected too. Our oldest son and second son and their families live in CT. The oldest has been layoff from his job as a sales manager at a car dealership in New York. He is non-essentisl. He's filed for unemployment in NY. His wife is a kindergarten teacher in CT. Her pay continues but she works all day getting lessons plans to go viral for her class plus they have both boys home getting work via the internet.

Our second son works from home since the start of this. His hours have been cut in half. His company, out of Norwalk, is a marketing/ research firm that is small. Former UConn women's guard Dixon works with my son. His wife is an RN at Danbury Hospital - one of the CT hot spots. The wife and I have been making face masks for her and some of her colleagues. The hospital ran out. Told the staff to wash them and re-use them. I cut the patterns and the wife sews them together. We also used vacuum cleaner bags with good HEPA filter ratings to cut out individual filters. We've shipped out 24 masks and 6 dozen filters last Monday. More to go.

Our youngest is a Petty Officer 2nd Class in the Navy. A submariner, he is stationed in Guam. He works on a sub tender. They have been out on deployment with the 7th fleet since before the pandemic broke. They were in Southeast Asia, Japan and South Korea. They returned to Guam last week, resupplied the ship and have left for the sea again. OPSEC doesn't allow me to say much more. I do know he has been tested and is clean as is everyone else on the ship.

Sorry this was a little long. A lot going on with the family and its difficult to be here in Florida and not be able to do too much for them. Thank God for Facetime as we talk the two oldest at least twice a week.

Stay safe out there Boneyarders!!!
'I cut the patterns and the wife sews them together. We also used vacuum cleaner bags with good HEPA filter ratings to cut out individual filters. We've shipped out 24 masks and 6 dozen filters last Monday.'
ok, that is wicked cool. thank you. and the daily bike ride too. awesomesauce.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The captain's letter was sent via email to 20+ people and an unsecure server when he felt the brass wasn't moving fast enough. That alone will get you canned.
But it did the trick. He saved lives.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I am really really hoping the mid-April peak thing is true. Lamont recently said Hartford County won’t peak until late May which just sounds excruciating. Even though that won’t mean “business as usual” for probably another month it will be good for everyone’s psyche to see numbers start to drop. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us have a million cases in a week or so (peaking at about cases a day) then see a week with numbers slowly following then two weeks of sharp dropping. I’m hoping early June we’re down to very new cases.

My best friend is getting married July 4th. Seemed crazy to think it was in jeopardy at the start of this but now it may be. Already cancelled bachelor party (scheduled for May1-4 in Montreal) and the bridal shower was moved from April18 to mid June. In the group chat for the bachelor party I brought up how we may not be able to go to Montreal on March 7th and everyone tonight I was crazy/a wuss. Within a week everyone realized it had no chance.

Getting increasingly hard on my parents/in-laws not seeing my daughter. I’m not sure if the daily pics/video chatting is helping or making it more unbearable.

I feel terrible for my students who are home all day offen in perilous situations. I have a student with Autism who signs off his daily contact with me “seeya April 20th!” Which is the day we aee supposed to return but we have all accepted among the teachers we won’t be back this year.

obviously these are fairly selfish thoughts as someone has stayed healthy and not had anyone close to me afflicted but everyone is fighting with something right now.

Reaction Score
obviously these are fairly selfish thoughts as someone has stayed healthy and not had anyone close to me afflicted but everyone is fighting with something right now.
One of the most significant byproducts of the physical health pandemic is now a mental health pandemic. Fortunately there's a lot of excellent providers out there (in CT too!) and the legal restrictions on telehealth have been significantly removed. It's not at all selfish to feel a mental toll because of the physical separation from your loved ones, your students, etc.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Non-lacy bras work for masks too, and you can make two at once. So do jockstraps.

jockstrap-male-02.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom