OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 54 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
In Mass all residential and commercial construction activities are considered essential. I am building a house and my developer is crushing his schedule, should be done a month early. With the quarantine his subs have no distractions. Only problem is scheduling the inspections.
Only thing contractors can't do is work in schools cause then they have to spend money on a deep clean.

Reaction Score
Construction is essential. We cannot afford to lay off all the construction personnel. Especially by EO all at once. Job sites generally being safe. State is in constant contact with both industry and trades. It’s ok for now. May be able to get through if it doesn’t get too much worse.

I agree 100%

Reaction Score
The death metrics are the most important. But I am interested in all the metrics. New York had it's first negative ICU bed count on Thursday (meaning 17 ICU beds came open). That was avery important milestone.

The metrics contain the real information. That is the data that tells us what is really happening. Many of the stories are interesting or enlightening. But slicing and dicing the data gives us the best view of reality. And they are the best predictor of the future.

Correct. It is most prudent to understand and track the metrics. I have a spreadsheet with cases, hospitalizations and deaths by country and by state. China, Spain, Italy, US (then NY, CT, MA).

Today was the first day in CT that I felt like there was a slight breath of fresh air. My CT concern is how much the virus in the SW part of the state makes it's way up into Hartford (and WH/EH surrounding closely tied towns).

Reaction Score
Some interesting numbers from France on Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin intervention. Dr Raoult released the results of his latest test on 1061 patients treated with the combination. The most basic result is he saw 5 deaths out of the 1061 patients, a death rate of 0.47%.

For those concerned he did not use a control group consider the rest of France. Which has recorded 129,644 confirmed cases and 13,832 deaths. A death rate of 10.67%.

Just saying.

Reaction Score
They threw a bone to the unions.
Not all construction is unions. Know a lot of independent contractors doing well right now and giving discounts to have consistent work during this time

Reaction Score
i
Not all construction is unions. Know a lot of independent contractors doing well right now and giving discounts to have consistent work during this time
I'm talking about the state projects. The unions line the politicians pockets. Then get awarded projects and do subpar work so they are awarded contracts to redo the work in a few years. It's a viscous cycle.

Reaction Score
Where do you live that you can only buy gas at Home Depot? Almost every store sells propane and I have started using a delivery service to avoid the hassle anyway.

and only you can decide if it’s really “wrong”. Are you more exposed going to the interior of the store, picking out a paint and color, having someone mix it up, buy all the associated supplies like brushes, drop cloths, buckets, cleaners, etc., as opposed to a quick bottle exchange? Maybe, but does that also potentially affect everyone else doing the same thing or the workers? Maybe? But is it wrong or unethical? Who knows?
I live in Princeton Junction, NJ and yes, it’s freaking annoying. But none of the little gas stations near me sell it, nor do the supermarkets.
I lived in Bucks County, PA for 8 years and I could do it at 3 gas stations and the supermarket within one mile of my house. Now I have to do a 10 minute drive.

There is one gas station out on route 1 that does it but the Home Depot is closer for me. How weird is that?

I went crazy when I first moved here because I couldn’t find anyplace to refill a tank. Apparently a lot of people also run their gas lines to their grills so I might eventually do that. Maybe that’s cut down on a lot of places offering it? Who knows? It’s weird as hell.

Reaction Score
Where do you live that you can only buy gas at Home Depot? Almost every store sells propane and I have started using a delivery service to avoid the hassle anyway.

and only you can decide if it’s really “wrong”. Are you more exposed going to the interior of the store, picking out a paint and color, having someone mix it up, buy all the associated supplies like brushes, drop cloths, buckets, cleaners, etc., as opposed to a quick bottle exchange? Maybe, but does that also potentially affect everyone else doing the same thing or the workers? Maybe? But is it wrong or unethical? Who knows?
And also, I really don’t know. I feel like the mixing is unethical but they are in there. So I probably won’t do it. I wonder if there’s a way to order it online and have them deliver it. And not be too precious with the match...

I get why these stores are essential but are all these things essential? At what point are they essential or are they some of us filling our time? We will need to repair stuff but is paint a repair?

Reaction Score
I live in Princeton Junction, NJ and yes, it’s freaking annoying. But none of the little gas stations near me sell it, nor do the supermarkets.
I lived in Bucks County, PA for 8 years and I could do it at 3 gas stations and the supermarket within one mile of my house. Now I have to do a 10 minute drive.

There is one gas station out on route 1 that does it but the Home Depot is closer for me. How weird is that?

I went crazy when I first moved here because I couldn’t find anyplace to refill a tank. Apparently a lot of people also run their gas lines to their grills so I might eventually do that. Maybe that’s cut down on a lot of places offering it? Who knows? It’s weird as hell.
Do they have this in your area?

Here in the Dallas suburbs, tank refill is not very common, but tank exchange is everywhere. Grocery, CVS, 7-11, etc.

Appreciate your other thoughts. At least some people are thinking about these things. Seems to me that many are not. I heard Ace hardware is delivering so if there is one of those nearby, it might be an option.

Reaction Score
Gilead is saying this morning that two-thirds of the patients in their "remdesivir" trial improved with the drug. It had previous been used to treat Ebola. Very small sample size under 60 patients.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do they have this in your area?

Here in the Dallas suburbs, tank refill is not very common, but tank exchange is everywhere. Grocery, CVS, 7-11, etc.

Appreciate your other thoughts. At least some people are thinking about these things. Seems to me that many are not. I heard Ace hardware is delivering so if there is one of those nearby, it might be an option.
Thank you! In Bucks County, YES. I haven’t seen one around here (because Home Depot and Lowe’s are right here). I’ll have to do more scouring. I did love Ace, though. We even had a smaller old time hardware store.
I’m trying to think of this stuff - if I think of it now, maybe this will end sooner? Maybe?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Lost my grandfather yesterday to COVID-19. He was 90 and not in great health, so I knew when we got the news of the positive test that it probably wasn't going to end well. His nursing home had a confirmed case a week or two back and they did the best they could to quarantine everyone, but obviously it's not easy to stop the spread when everyone is in a confined space.

I'm still kind of in shock. He was a great man, but dementia had robbed him (and us) of his mind the last few years. Im just glad he's not suffering anymore.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lost my grandfather yesterday to COVID-19. He was 90 and not in great health, so I knew when we got the news of the positive test that it probably wasn't going to end well. His nursing home had a confirmed case a week or two back and they did the best they could to quarantine everyone, but obviously it's not easy to stop the spread when everyone is in a confined space.

I'm still kind of in shock. He was a great man, but dementia had robbed him (and us) of his mind the last few years. Im just glad he's not suffering anymore.
Sad to read this, Rico.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Sorry for your loss, Rico.

Reaction Score

Sorry first your loss

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Sorry for your loss.

Reaction Score
QUESTION: This morning I dug around in the garage and found 2 unused 3M n95 masks from when I built a wood paddle board for my wife a couple years ago. If we can put them out in the sun during the day and /or in the garage for a total of 3-4 days, should they be considered ok for reuse?
At my hospital we are literally “baking” the masks overnight for re-use. Idk what the temperature has to be, you might be able to google that

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thank you! In Bucks County, YES. I haven’t seen one around here (because Home Depot and Lowe’s are right here). I’ll have to do more scouring. I did love Ace, though. We even had a smaller old time hardware store.
I’m trying to think of this stuff - if I think of it now, maybe this will end sooner? Maybe?

Most places I can swap out a tank for about $20.
I can take my existing tank to local Ace and get it refilled for $15.

Reaction Score

Wow Sorry for this. 10 minutes ago my 88 year old Dad called said he was in the area to drop off something. Totally unannounced, and unexpected. He took a different exit and was lost, I was very upset. My wife had to work with him on directing him to our house. He's got minor dementia I believe, if there is such a thing. But he is managing himself well in spite of any effects.

He lives alone, today is Easter and we usually have a food party every year which he attends. Living 90 miles away and hitting the road on a whim, is outright insane. Cars breakdown, accidents happen, etc..

He reason for coming down was that it was my wife and daughters b'day yesterday and he wanted to bring a card and money. He didn't come in (he wasn't invited in) and I had a mask and gloves on for theatrics. Very weird that I feel worse seeing him than not seeing him.

Sorry for the rant, but your grandfather and my dad are the same age, and as you know most vulnerable. Your post hit a very active nerve.

Reaction Score
A year ago March I started coughing up mucus... it got to the point that I could barely breathe, so much mucus. I felt as though I was drowning. Called my dr he told me to take Claritin which alone does nothing for me. Called my PM she gave me a Rx for a Zpak. Felt much better the next day. I have COPD and seasonal allergies which I think this was. It was really scary feeling. Never had the allergies that bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom