OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
No changes for the wife and I.

We live in a 55+ community in central Florida. No events have been cancelled. Friday night was a club dance. I played in the band - 9 instrumentalists and 5 singers. Over 300 people in the audience dancing away. Saturday night we had two performances of Herman's Hermits with Peter Noone. Dinner was also part of the package if you desired. Both shows were packed with 525 in our ballroom. Both dinners were at max of 80 people.

Sunday we traveled to a Barbershop Quartet concert. Another 300 people. Never was a thought of cancelling the event.

Our resturant and Bistro are packed every day and night.

Our travel club has cruises and European trips planned but no talk of cancellations yet. Our medical hospital across the street is giving us constant updates. Nothing near the crap being air on several new outlets.

Maybe because we live in a community of people that have been there, done that and got several t-shirts that there is no sense of panic or overreaction.
This sounds like an arrogant central Florida retirement community, thinking what happened in Seattle can’t happen there. I wish you all the best but this is incredibly arrogant dangerous way to go about this issue.

Reaction Score
There were at least some reports of this in China, but I would put this into the "we're not sure" camp.
That is scary then. If 50 percent of the population has it at some point and you can just keep reinfecting each other then it will never go away.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Not really changing much. The thing I am concerned about most is how all the antibacterial soap is sold out around me...Costco and regular grocery stores. Why did it take this virus to make people wash their hands?

Reaction Score
Bought a bunch of meat and vacuum sealed it into portions in the freezer. Got about a case of canned goods. Trying to limit unnecessary time in public. Working from home more until we eventually get all put on mandatory WFH status (I’d say in the next two weeks).

Its going to get worse before it gets better. Just trying to limit risk.

Reaction Score
Doing all of the above.
But going to see a concert Thursday night. Going to Miami to c my dad who is not doing well Saturday.
I have two trips planned in next two months- one to Columbia SA and one to Brazil. I may have to cancel one or both of these because I do not want to get stuck somewhere outside USA or get quarantined for 14 days when I get back.
Wife works for large Corp and she may be working from home soon.
I’m just hoping people stay calm and there is food on the shelves ect - if I get it I will stay home and watch tv.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If i get it i get it. Went to Costco and everyone is wiping down their carts, not I. Now I wasn't licking mine, but I can't live in fear like that. I did my shopping and when I got to the Jeep I put some hand sanitizer on like always. I'll probably get it. Oh well. Hopefully it doesn't end me.

Can you catch the virus multiple times?

Wiping the cart handle is pretty much my only concession to date, I never used to do that. My wife is more concerned, so I have to concede to her by default. We cancelled seeing a free movie tonight because of her. And we have all the ingredients to make hand sanitizer because of her.

Me, I generally don't even abide to the 5-second rule.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am scheduled for vascular surgery next month. There is nothing elective about it. Between now and then, I have to get clearance from a number of doctors, have more blood work done, etc. Despite my age, I was not the least bit concerned about going under the knife again. Needless to say, that attitude and feeling of confidence has changed over the last week or so.

Best of luck to you. Like you, I wouldn't be concerned about the actual operation. However, even w/o this virus around, I don't want to be in a hospital bed. Hopefully you quickly get out to recover at home.

Reaction Score
I am a hand washer anyway. I am also a paper towel guy or pulling down a sleeve when opening the Mens Room door that can't be pushed. Now I'm triple aware on these things but like many others need to stop the face touching and eyes wiping.

A very good customer who I was to visit today canceled yesterday as they are not seeing anyone for the time being. Have to webex this one but I'm okay with that as they build for customers overseas who do come visit and test their machines. Now I am more aware that my customers and many of the products I sell are potentially from overseas/Asia.

Not crazy but more aware is where me and my wife are. Well she works for a major business machine company and her travel is stopped and she works from home. Guessing my company, which is North American will be next in some way. Fortunately I'm able to work from home anyway but will do less on site sales calls with my team if I can.

Reaction Score
At the risk of getting this moved to the cesspool (not sure when Joe Rogan became politically polarizing but here we are) but this podcast had the best breakdown of where we stand RE: COVID-19. They also discuss Chronic Wasting Disease in the deer population and its chances of jumping to humans similar to mad cow disease, but the main focus is COVID-19

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not really changing much. The thing I am concerned about most is how all the antibacterial soap is sold out around me...Costco and regular grocery stores. Why did it take this virus to make people wash their hands?

Human civilization = 5200 years.
Purell = 32 years.

Reaction Score
My wife has had major heart issues in the past, so she is super paranoid. Me, not so much. She canceled a trip down to our house in Charleston, SC because she didn't want to be a metal tube with 100+ other people for a few hours. I am bummed because she refused to go to the Steve Hackett concert tonight in Northampton, Ma because of the virus.

pj

Reaction Score
That is scary then. If 50 percent of the population has it at some point and you can just keep reinfecting each other then it will never go away.

With coronaviruses people generally don't develop permanent immunity. Odds are we'll see periodic waves of the germ as with recurring flu. Ultimately, we're going to need treatments and vaccines.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Many said that the virus affects elderly with underlying conditions but that doesn't seem to be 100% accurate . See below .

I have seen some other cases as well . Maybe they are outliers, but still scary.

Reaction Score
I am a hand washer anyway. I am also a paper towel guy or pulling down a sleeve when opening the Mens Room door that can't be pushed. Now I'm triple aware on these things but like many others need to stop the face touching and eyes wiping.

A very good customer who I was to visit today canceled yesterday as they are not seeing anyone for the time being. Have to webex this one but I'm okay with that as they build for customers overseas who do come visit and test their machines. Now I am more aware that my customers and many of the products I sell are potentially from overseas/Asia.

Not crazy but more aware is where me and my wife are. Well she works for a major business machine company and her travel is stopped and she works from home. Guessing my company, which is North American will be next in some way. Fortunately I'm able to work from home anyway but will do less on site sales calls with my team if I can.

Fortunately it's warming up to where you can work on those empty golf courses all day! LOL

Reaction Score

We live in a 55+ community in central Florida. No events have been cancelled. Friday night was a club dance. I played in the band - 9 instrumentalists and 5 singers. Over 300 people in the audience dancing away. Saturday night we had two performances of Herman's Hermits with Peter Noone. Dinner was also part of the package if you desired. Both shows were packed with 525 in our ballroom. Both dinners were at max of 80 people.

Sunday we traveled to a Barbershop Quartet concert. Another 300 people. Never was a thought of cancelling the event.

Our travel club has cruises and European trips planned but no talk of cancellations yet. Our medical hospital across the street is giving us constant updates. Nothing near the crap being air on several new outlets.

Maybe because we live in a community of people that have been there, done that and got several t-shirts that there is no sense of panic or overreaction.

"Darwinism", Boomer.

Reaction Score
If i get it i get it. Went to Costco and everyone is wiping down their carts, not I. Now I wasn't licking mine, but I can't live in fear like that. I did my shopping and when I got to the Jeep I put some hand sanitizer on like always. I'll probably get it. Oh well. Hopefully it doesn't end me.

Can you catch the virus multiple times?

I get your attempt at a hot take, but is wiping down the rail of a grocery cart "living in fear"? If you're that tough, why don't you go and lick the cart handle? Or lick the rail of an escalator? I mean, if you get it, you get it. Oh well, right?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

The thing that disturbs me the most about this post is that old people took valuable time out from the rest of their short lives to see Herman's Hermits. I bet even the 55-60 contingent was thinking, "Who are these old farts on stage?"

And I say this as someone who actually owns the original HH US debut album on vinyl.

But if it were the Turtles, I'd have been there ;-)

Reaction Score

All of the Darwin Award nominees in this community have already outlived their time to reproduce.

Reaction Score
The thing that disturbs me the most about this post is that old people took valuable time out from the rest of their short lives to see Herman's Hermits. I bet even the 55-60 contingent was thinking, "Who are these old farts on stage?"

And I say this as someone who actually owns the original HH US debut album on vinyl.

But if it were the Turtles, I'd have been there ;-)

I bet many of these 'old acts' are performing to pay for their prescriptions.

Reaction Score
I stopped walking my infant son past the Marriot hotel in Boston where the 70 case outbreak was. We're not going to the starbucks in the lobby there anymore either. I'm not a germophobe, but significantly cutting down going out frivolously and doing the whole wash hands, purell, and not touching things. I figure we can buckle down and see what the ripple effect of the outbreak is before resuming casual life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom