OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No changes. Work in a relatively dynamic area where plenty of people travel internationally and we host people internationally.

Some meeting which normally are held in a conference room of 15-20 people are now done at work desk via Skype (which many of us have said we should have been doing anyways). Travel to certain countries is restricted and others require higher level authority.
I'm heading to California next week and will use my normal due diligence at airports, on planes, car rental and hotel. Wipe, wipe, wipe, wash, wash, wash.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean at this point how can anyone consider this a hoax? Is the entire country of Italy lying about a nationwide quarantine? South Korea? Many others....Do people think somehow we are special and that somehow we are the exception and this is just something that happens to "other" people. The hoax people are dangerous because they will be the ones that facilitate the community spread. It's really a shame that people are so jaded nowadays that they think everything is fake or a hoax. Listen to medical professionals, not politicians on either side with an agenda. Even if your skeptical to the extent of it, it's still better to be cautious than dismissive when lives are potentially at stake.
Thing that I have trouble with is that there is a disconnect between the risk as being explained and the economic impact of these quarantines. If the risk is essentially the same as the flu, one would think advising the public to take extra care with handwashing, etc. would be proportionate step. As best as I can understand it, the increased risk isn’t with the mortality risk of the coronavirus so much as the ease of transmission and perhaps the risk of mutation to a more dangerous strain.

Still, the huge economic loss that is being incurred to avoid what is essentially he flu seems… disproportionate. It makes the conspiracy theorist in me wonder if there is a part of the equation that we are not aware of.

Reaction Score
Just noticed this in an NBC article posted an hour ago:

"UConn also has suspended all domestic and international, university-sponsored travel outside of the state by faculty and staff until further notice," according to the university's website.

Does that mean the team won't be travelling to the AAC tournament?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Supposed to be going to Montreal the first week in May for my buddy's bachelor party. Supposed to go to a wedding March 28th. We shall see all that plays out. How much fun can you have a bachelor party with a 6 foot personal distance restriction?

Reaction Score
Thing that I have trouble with is that there is a disconnect between the risk as being explained and the economic impact of these quarantines. If the risk is essentially the same as the flu, one would think advising the public to take extra care with handwashing, etc. would be proportionate step. As best as I can understand it, the increased risk isn’t with the mortality risk of the coronavirus so much as the ease of transmission and perhaps the risk of mutation to a more dangerous strain.

Still, the huge economic loss that is being incurred to avoid what is essentially he flu seems… disproportionate. It makes the conspiracy theorist in me wonder if there is a part of the equation that we are not aware of.

It's not the same as the flu.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Trying to build my immune system by licking far more doorknobs.

dookknobs.jpg

Reaction Score
The risk CL is that for those that have medical issues there is no vaccine like we have every year with the flu. Even with the flu vaccine we still have many deaths and if I have my facts correct only 50% of our population gets the flu shot. I have asthma/COPD and get a flu shot every year. The older citizens in nursing homes are very vulnerable to this virus which seems to cause fluid in the lower lungs and then overwhelms their bodies ability to fight it. Young people are not in danger if they are healthy to begin with. Our Seniors are very vulnerable.

Reaction Score
The risk CL is that for those that have medical issues there is no vaccine like we have every year with the flu. Even with the flu vaccine we still have many deaths and if I have my facts correct only 50% of our population gets the flu shot. I have asthma/COPD and get a flu shot every year. The older citizens in nursing homes are very vulnerable to this virus which seems to cause fluid in the lower lungs and then overwhelms their bodies ability to fight it. Young people are not in danger if they are healthy to begin with. Our Seniors are very vulnerable.
It would be nice if our leaders would have just explained this from the beginning and the media would explain this from the outset before they go into the fear routine every 5 minutes.

Reaction Score

From what I can gather, the mortality risk with this is worse than the flu. I have respiratory problems and have had the flu. This is an entirely different kettle of fish that attacks the lungs. Read a lot of the Italy stuff. They were casual like us at the onset and are now paying the price. Not enough hospital beds, respirators, overwhelmed doctors that are getting sick. It's like war triage where patients are marked or coded depending on seriousness and the majority of treatment goes to the ones that are most savable for lack of a better word. Siding with caution now will cause an economic hit now for sure, but perhaps the hit will be more catastrophic later if we just think short term. South Korea is slowing it down somewhat because they are being vigilant. Tons of testing, people staying home, etc...you even see people in hazmat suits disinfecting entire areas. History is unfolding right before our eyes. If we don't learn from it we may repeat it.

pj

Reaction Score

We know that the risk to the elderly is very high. The risk to younger people is currently unknown. The risk of dying in the first 3 weeks is higher than the flu, but perhaps not more than a factor of 10 higher, which is not high. But we don't know what happens months or years after infection. You might have an increased risk of dying 2 or 5 years later, or an increased risk of dementia, or other ailments.

Mutations are more likely to make coronavirus less dangerous than more.

Reaction Score
If i get it i get it. Went to Costco and everyone is wiping down their carts, not I. Now I wasn't licking mine, but I can't live in fear like that. I did my shopping and when I got to the Jeep I put some hand sanitizer on like always. I'll probably get it. Oh well. Hopefully it doesn't end me.

Can you catch the virus multiple times?

Reaction Score
I have asthma/copd as well. It seems when your body goes in to attack mode, it kills both the infected cells and good cells within the lungs which causes problems which are sometimes fatal for seniors and at risk people with health problems.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I am scheduled for vascular surgery next month. There is nothing elective about it. Between now and then, I have to get clearance from a number of doctors, have more blood work done, etc. Despite my age, I was not the least bit concerned about going under the knife again. Needless to say, that attitude and feeling of confidence has changed over the last week or so.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not get freaked out - that's objective #1
Don't listen to the main stream media - that's objective #2
Thank all the doctors, researchers and others involved in researching and testing for answers 24 hrs a day while we sleep and enjoy weekends off -that's objective #3
Be aware of our surroundings and making sure we clean hands etc more than we normally do - Objective #4
Pray that this virus disappears as miraculously as it appeared and no more deaths occur - Objective #5

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom