OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Information from Michael Osterholm, public health scientist and Infectious disease expert. Here are some highlights of his podcast and projections/info about it. This helps explain why we’re seeing shutdowns. It’s long but valuable info....

Just the beginning of virus, it will be 10-15 times worse than flu.

Based on the data so far estimate there will be 48million hospitalisations, 96million cases (still trying to figure out if that’s worldwide or in America) over 480,000 deaths in America

Will last atleast 3-6months.

Smoking, obesity and high blood pressure increase risk.

Number of cases seem to double every four days.

In the first hours of contracting there are incredibly high levels of the virus making you infectious before any symptoms show.

Kids are not getting sick from it. In China only 2% under the age of 18.

30% of nurses in America have kids(Whose going to look after them if they close schools), One quarter of Americans don’t have sick leave.

690,000 Americans have end stage renal disease get their drugs from China. Most of the drugs come from China.

No evidence this is a bioweapon.

No evidence Virus is seasonal.

Influenza transmission is like “trying to stop the wind”, isolation won’t stop it, only a vaccine.

No data anything can fight the virus besides factors that improve your immune system (exercise,good sleep, not missing medication)

Hand sanitizer is good for stopping a lot of infectious diseases but weak evidence that this virus will be transmitted that way(through hands,face) but should still use it. People want to feel like they’re doing something by washing their hands, the data says it is transmitted by breathing.

Surgical mask not effective at all from stopping virus from getting in. They were made for stopping bugs going out. N95 respirator mask are very effective.

Over 4,000 health workers in China infected. We have to protect our health workers, they are on the front line who cannot be replaced.

There might have been a vaccine for coronavirus if after SARS and MERS in 2003 everyone continued to find a vaccine but after it went away nobody had interest.

He did a Briefing with over 400 major financial investors around the world they reminded him of a scared child, he’s worried for the market, no plans in place again for this virus.

Have to prioritise a vaccine.

He predicted in his book that a virus would come out of China because of the large population and food supply that is largely wild life that comes into the markets, close contact with the animals, bugs on animals. China has been a “bacterial and viral soup vessel for a long time”

A vaccine will most likely take years, there was an antibody dependent enhancement component to SARS (A little bit of the antibody actually made you more sick)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If I could lick my own knob, I'd never leave the house!
1583934087804.png

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
On a more serious note, I'm a chronic face-touching cancer survivor who works with the public. I'm also a chronic face toucher. There is hand sanitizer all around me and I use it but touching my face has become something I am very aware of.

Reaction Score
In North Dakota not much has changed. But I do not have kids in the local school system, so I could be wrong. The high school basketball tournaments and hockey tournaments are currently taking place. The Minnesota High School Hockey Championship took place last weekend in Minneapolis. For those who aren't familiar, it's a pretty large event.

I do my share of running and there's definitely concern that spring marathons will start getting cancelled. I know a few people scheduled to run in Boston. They are hopeful it will not get cancelled, but no one knows yet.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The thing that disturbs me the most about this post is that old people took valuable time out from the rest of their short lives to see Herman's Hermits. I bet even the 55-60 contingent was thinking, "Who are these old farts on stage?"

And I say this as someone who actually owns the original HH US debut album on vinyl.

But if it were the Turtles, I'd have been there ;-)

I sang along (more or less) to "Eleanor" while wandering the spooky, nearly empty aisles of Big Y two nights ago.

More worried about getting shot here in NOLA than any virus.

This made me think of @Deepster, before reading his simple, sane shifts a few posts later.

Just stay away from the bat meat and you'll be fine.

Easier said than done.
You see them hanging upside down in the window next to the ducks, with no chance that they're sleeping and you could stir them up, and something comes over you...

If I could lick my own knob, I'd never leave the house!
Just was your hands!

That lengthy Osterholm summarry post above, you know the one that got no Likes, was pretty good.

Isn't there some kind of Koolaid we could just drink to make this concern go away?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For me some is imposed and some is our own actions.

Company has shut down all travel. We have banned visitors to our buildings (I'm conducting an interview via video on Friday). Our big convention will be virtual. People in buildings where someone has tested positive told to stay home until March 24.

We bought some extra, non-perishable food. Hand sanitizer, wet ones and clorox wipes. I bought some additional wine and whiskey. ;) Wife headed to Treehouse today, so we will have beer too.

In general, paying more attention to washing my hands. Using hand sanitizer often when in public spaces. I did use the provided free wipes to wipe down my cart handle at Target yesterday.

For everybody who says "look at Italy", well yes, the government has taken strong action. Did they need to? That's less clear. H1N1 killed between 175,000 - 575,000+ globally. It killed 12,000 in the USA. The CDC estimates that there were 60 million cases in the U.S.. 2009 H1N1 Pandemic

So far, the WHO is not even calling this a Pandemic. Italy has just over 10,000 cases total. 631 deaths. It is stressing their systems, but that's far less than H1N1 in 2009.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
No more fast food or restaurants until things clear up.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The thing that disturbs me the most about this post is that old people took valuable time out from the rest of their short lives to see Herman's Hermits. I bet even the 55-60 contingent was thinking, "Who are these old farts on stage?"

And I say this as someone who actually owns the original HH US debut album on vinyl.

But if it were the Turtles, I'd have been there ;-)

I'm slated to go see the Chieftains (totally different I know) on Friday night in Boston. Don't really want to (mostly due to traffic getting to Boston on a rainy Friday evening).

The real test will be our Comicon tickets for March 21st. Haven't cancelled it yet. But do celebs like Chris Hemsworth really want to travel to that even to have their picture taken with 1000 strangers?

Reaction Score
Washing hands more often but other than that nothing. Still greet people the same way handshakes, hugs, kiss. Still go out in public to restaurant, bar and travel all over the New England working.

A friend I know who owns a pretty big company said he’s thinking of canceling all his sales peoples travel across the US and abroad but not because he’s concerned with Coronavirus exactly but he’s afraid that if an employee did contract Coronavirus on a work trip that there a possibility of being sued

Reaction Score
For everybody who says "look at Italy", well yes, the government has taken strong action. Did they need to? That's less clear. H1N1 killed between 175,000 - 575,000+ globally. It killed 12,000 in the USA. The CDC estimates that there were 60 million cases in the U.S.. 2009 H1N1 Pandemic

But again, there was never a place or time where H1N1 was killing 6% of its cases. That figure you mentioned puts it at 0.02%, consistent with flu fatalities because it was a strain of the flu. This virus is NOT the flu.

Edit- I get the overall impact argument. But I think people are failing to consider what exponential community spread growth for another 9 months in the USA would look like for deaths, since those stats are for a full year of H1N1.

"Under exponential growth 500 cases grow to more than 1 million cases after 11 doubling times." So without taking more precautions, we're looking at 10 more doubling times to get to 1 million. Doubling time currently outside of China is 5 days. So we're looking at a million cases in the USA in 2 months without extra precautions taken. Even at the most conservative death rate, that would equal the H1N1's deaths in 4 months instead of 12. And if we get hit like Italy, we'd be at the H1N1 deaths in 6 more weeks.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This sounds like an arrogant central Florida retirement community, thinking what happened in Seattle can’t happen there. I wish you all the best but this is incredibly arrogant dangerous way to go about this issue.
Hard to worry about it when they woke up this morning feelin' fine.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No more fast food or restaurants until things clear up.

We're going out Friday. Wife's birthday and all. No concerns on my part.

We still have nada in Pittsburgh. But given posters here from CT/MA are taking precautions, how are y'all handling staying indoors and not going to fight the swarms at Treehouse for their can releases? The horrors!!!

Reaction Score
A cruise? That is the worst thing you can do according to well...everybody in the scientific, public health and medical world.

I don’t know I think living in a planned 55+ community is the worst thing you can do and that’s regardless of if there’s a virus or not.

But to paraphrase Y ukon Cornelius “he’ll like what he’ll like and I’ll like what I like.”

Reaction Score
Surgical mask not effective at all from stopping virus from getting in. They were made for stopping bugs going out. N95 respirator mask are very effective.
This is true and masks need to be prioritized to essential personnel. Having said that, masks do have an unintended positive impact: they prevent your hands from touching your nose and mouth. Not 100% effective, however. Common sense still prevails.

Reaction Score
I'm slated to go see the Chieftains (totally different I know) on Friday night in Boston. Don't really want to (mostly due to traffic getting to Boston on a rainy Friday evening).

The real test will be our Comicon tickets for March 21st. Haven't cancelled it yet. But do celebs like Chris Hemsworth really want to travel to that even to have their picture taken with 1000 strangers?

gonna go to wolfe tones on Saturday

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I sang along (more or less) to "Eleanor" while wandering the spooky, nearly empty aisles of Big Y two nights ago.

This made me think of @Deepster, before reading his simple, sane shifts a few posts later.

Easier said than done.
You see them hanging upside down in the window next to the ducks, with no chance that they're sleeping and you could stir them up, and something comes over you...

Just was your hands!

That lengthy Osterholm summarry post above, you know the one that got no Likes, was pretty good.

Isn't there some kind of Koolaid we could just drink to make this concern go away?
'Isn't there some kind of Koolaid we could just drink to make this concern go away?'
yes. it's called 'time.' and thank you for mentioning 'underwear' in a previous post, cuz my initial response to the thread was going to be something like 'well, I guess im upping my underwear changing frequency to weekly instead of monthly,' but considering that many are living in sort of a y2k thing, I reconsidered, because it might cause further outrage. we're kind of an optimistic, one day at a time clan, with a bent to laugh as much as possible. it's good for ur health.

Reaction Score
i live in seattle and still take the bus to work every day, go out to restaurants, the grocery store, and even movie theaters. i'm just more conscious about not touching my face when i'm out, and washing my hands every time i get back to my apartment or office (including wiping down my phone). the one change is not going out to bars on the weekend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom