Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couldn't be more excited about the news. At first I thought we had no shot given her relationship with A'ja. But I guess the lure of playing for the best and with the best helped her make the decision. I recall reading that she wanted to be the best player she could be and wanted a coach and team who could help her get there. That sounded so much like a UCONN kid, but I kept reading about her relationship with Dawn and A'ja and thought "crap".

So glad that she's here. Welcome aboard Azura!

Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1462066439032.jpg

Reaction Score
The way the staff handled this, kind of makes you think about the way Navy Seal Teams go about their business. They go in and come out in stealth mode, and no body knows they were ever there.

Like Kwaye Chang Cain (Kung ) walking on rice paper. They complete their mission, get the Job done, and everybody comes home safe. THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Everybody does not have to know your business.
I like the way UConn SEALed this deal! :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder what repercussions there are for recruiting in the 2017-2018 years, with 16-17 year olds being either clueless or wise beyond their years.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is so much fun. All these other teams who refused to play UConn this past season because of the Big 3 scheduled UConn for this coming season and now they have to face a possible frontcourt of 6'5, 6'3, 6'6, Butler KLS and AS and wont be able to shoot over them or penetrate. I see 2 more undefeated seasons and at least 2 more NCs and then the class's of 2017 2018 and beyond.

Reaction Score
After such a serious few days, a little levity is called for.

Serious? Heck..... Tenn fans imploding is pretty entertaining. As TonyC just said.....this is fun.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is so much fun. All these other teams who refused to play UConn this past season because of the Big 3 scheduled UConn for this coming season and now they have to face a possible frontcourt of 6'5, 6'3, 6'6, Butler KLS and AS and wont be able to shoot over them or penetrate. I see 2 more undefeated seasons and at least 2 more NCs and then the class's of 2017 2018 and beyond.
I'm with Tony. It's often been said "UCONN doesn't rebuild - they reload". Never more true than the next 3-4 years.

We lost the Trinity. NEXT year is THE year to get UCONN. The coaches know it, the fans know it, and opposing teams know it. Geno will use it as motivation for the team - if anyone doesn't think the 2016-2017 UCONN team ISN'T ultra competitive and has a tremendous will to win, then they don't know Kia and KLS very well. Having said that, most fans would agree on paper, our upside is the final 4 for next season. But after that...

We will lose Saniya to graduation and gain Azura Stevens, Lexi Gordon, Andra Espinosa-Hunter and very possibly Megan Walker. Another dynasty in the making...

SR: Williams, Nurse, Butler, Ekmark
JR: Collier, Samuelson, Stevens
SO: Dangerfield, Irwin, Bent
FR: Espinosa, Gordon, (Walker)

That's a pretty large team but when you look at how many players who are probably top 10 in their classes - Williams, Nurse, Collier, Samuelson, Stevens, Dangerfield, and Walker - it is starting to look like one of the deepest pool of talented UCONN players in a very long time.

Reaction Score

Stevens has to sit out 16/17 right? Even so UConn still has a good shot at five in a row. Then six.....seven.....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
it's downright crazy.....what exactly is she planning to do with all of them? and something tells me Jade Williams may end up there too
Kim will do as she always does. She'll over coach when uncalled for and under coach when uncalled for. Ultimately she may win one championship with this coming team despite her shenanigans. Or probably not. Nevertheless she'll continue to attract good talent that, because of her, under achieves.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
More than the last 4 years??? :) :) :)

I'm going to borrow from the Adverbial Intensity Scale employed by none other than Geno himself.

There are those who hate us, and then there are those who really hate us. And then there are those who really, really hate us. And on top of that are those who really, really, really hate us.

I think some people have just added a few really's.

Reaction Score
There's only 1 thing I enjoy more than jumping on the Boneyard and seeing a big pick up, but since this is a family forum, I shall not elaborate.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sure....NOW(!!) she wants to be a Husky?

Reaction Score
A question and a thought:
Q: Does anyone know if it would have been excepted practice for Geno and the staff to have asked for and received a commitment from AZ that she will play both years of her remaining eligibililty for UCONN. Are there any rules which would have prohibited this?

In the next 18 months before AS first dons a Husky uniform Geno and company will have her playing at a whole another level. She is already pretty good defensively but come Nov. 2017 she will be a beast on D and much stronger in the post on offense. She has so much raw talent and so much skill that when she is exposed to great coaching her improvement will be transformative if she has the desire, intensity and drive to take advantage of it. If so she could dominate wcbb. Having said that, I must admit we did not see that with Natalie after her transfer year. Part of it was injury and she did improve but she didn't move up to another level. But that did not deter Geno from taking another rare transfer and I am pretty sure he is confident that he can make AS into a really really good bb player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Serious? Heck..... Tenn fans imploding is pretty entertaining. As TonyC just said.....this is fun.

This board is smoking tonight. Isn't it interesting how a single commit or transfer can cause this much excitement? I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg. Christmas came early this year. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Welcome to the UCONN family Azura!!!

We are ecstatic to have you :)

This is going to be a Grrreat summer. Why?, cuase we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's NOT a train. :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Q: Does anyone know if it would have been excepted practice for Geno and the staff to have asked for and received a commitment from AZ that she will play both years of her remaining eligibililty for UCONN. Are there any rules which would have prohibited this?

In the next 18 months before AS first dons a Husky uniform Geno and company will have her playing at a whole another level. She is already pretty good defensively but come Nov. 2017 she will be a beast on D and much stronger in the post on offense. She has so much raw talent and so much skill that when she is exposed to great coaching her improvement will be transformative if she has the desire, intensity and drive to take advantage of it. If so she could dominate wcbb. Having said that, I must admit we did not see that with Natalie after her transfer year. Part of it was injury and she did improve but she didn't move up to another level. But that did not deter Geno from taking another rare transfer and I am pretty sure he is confident that he can make AS into a really really good bb player.
I don't know what the rules are, but I really don't think Geno would ever expect a player to stay at UConn if it were not in her best long-term interest to do so. We've just seen that with Morgan. In April 2018, if the landscape looks like it would be best for Azura to enter the WNBA draft, and she has completed her degree, I am sure that he would advise her to do just that.

Carnac

Reaction Score

That's a good question. Another poster made that observation also. Geno may mention this in an interview, or on his "Geno on" TV show (with Kerith Burke) during the season. No doubt, it was a point that was discussed. Hopefully she'll "double down" and stay for two. If not, we should have another BIG waiting in the on deck circle to step up to the plate if she leaves early. Personally. I'd rather have her for one season, than not at all. I'm thinking like that old Chicago Cubs Hall of Famer Earnie Banks: Earnie would always say: "It's such a nice day, let's play two". :p

Reaction Score
Wow!

Nice roster shaping up for 2017-18.
Sr: nurse, gabby, butler
Jr: kls, collier, Stevens
So: crystal
missed our 2 other sophomores. Kyla and Molly, who will be huge on the upside.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I would expect that did come up in the meetings this weekend in a general way, and what her reasons for choosing to consider Uconn and what her personal goals are. I cannot imagine the questions would be prohibited by the NCAA, but the standard NCAA scholarship agreement is for one year only, renewable at the coach/school's discretion so any commitment on the part of a transfer would not be binding anyway.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's going to interesting to hear the current team players reaction to all this. Certainly they had a inkling this was going to happen especially after meeting with Azura....heck they may have played a little b ball with her.

And if they did, they kept it quiet, no leaks via social media. I like that. It shows they can all be trusted to keep team business in house where it belongs.

Reaction Score
After UConn won the 2014 NC, Dee said that other schools better catch UConn in 2015, because there was no way they were going to beat UConn in Stewie's senior year.

Well, they better catch UConn this coming year, because there is no way they're catching UConn the following year(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom