Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After UConn won the 2014 NC, Dee said that other schools better catch UConn in 2015, because there was no way they were going to beat UConn in Stewie's senior year.

Well, they better catch UConn this coming year, because there is no way they're catching UConn the following year(s).
That's exactly what I was thinking.

We lose Saniya, but add Andra, Lexi, Azura, and hopefully Megan. And maybe Jade?? Megatron would put us WAY over the top. If we can get a couple of studs in 2018--Geno is looking at about 5 of them--we can stretch the record for consecutive Final Fours to 15 or 16.

Reaction Score
So this transfer by AZ must indicates something. Disillusionment with her previous situation, in what way? There was a post recently discussing how a recruit may make her decision on where she decides to play. The post discussed something like: 1. the basketball program, 2a. academic, 2b. ...., but also included vicinity to home, etc. I don't think the decision making process is even that simple. Each recruit uses a weighted scale applied to 1., 2a., 2b.,... With all that, the AZ transfer indicates a weighted scale tipped strongly to the overall basketball program and experience (1.). That is the TOTAL program experience including the opportunity to become the best player you can be, achieving the highest team success and the best preparation for professional opportunity. So when a recruit does not choose UCONN it is ONLY because the total basketball experience is not weighted as heavily. It could only be that simple. AZ figured that out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What could be more challenging than trying to succeed under JPM?

a.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That's exactly what I was thinking.

We lose Saniya, but add Andra, Lexi, Azura, and hopefully Megan. And maybe Jade?? Megatron would put us WAY over the top. If we can get a couple of studs in 2018--Geno is looking at about 5 of them--we can stretch the record for consecutive Final Fours to 15 or 16.

Our esteemed guest Coach Bill indicated it's likely UConn isn't recruiting Jade Williams at this point.

Stevens makes three new players in 2017 so my guess is just one more.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Not really. AS is a great addition, but we'll only have her for 2 years. So we need to keep recruitting.
You know- she is so good- that if she wins the NC her first yr of eligibility- I would not be surprised to see her go pro!!! Should I start a thread and throw this out there? Ah- I'll wait till tomorrow! :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Quick thoughts on the year 2017-18 when Stevens is eligible--

Barring injuries/further transfers, Connecticut should have the strongest team in the nation once again. One through 5 they can play:
1-Crystal Dangerfield, SO
2-Kia Nurse, SR
3-KLS, JR
4. Napheesa Collier, JR
5. Azura Stevens, JR
With Gabby Williams, Natalie Butler and 2017 recruits earning time off the bench. In that starting 5, you have the top point guard from 2016, one of the better players from the class of 2014, the #1 recruit from 2015, a uniquely talented All-American forward transferring in, and a top 10 recruit from 2015 in Collier. They also lose just Chong from 2013 and will have a full roster back and potentially a loaded 2017 class. Simply put, UCONN will be stacked.

If you look at some of the other top teams projected for 2017-18, you have:
Notre Dame-Turner will be a senior alongside their great 2015 and 2016 classes. Muffett will need to replace Lindsey Allen, but she'll be their only major loss to make up for. With her program's success and recent recruiting, I would expect Notre Dame to have a great shot to land a couple of top 5-10 kids for 2017.

South Carolina-Senior A'ja Wilson will have a great chance at a title. The lineup also likely includes Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray assuming they play their 5th year.

Ohio State-Kelsey Mitchell will be a senior and will have a potent supporting cast to help burden the load.

Baylor-Lauren Cox, Brown and Mompremier will lead this group. Kim will keep Baylor a Final Four threat.

Louisville-they'll be loaded with all of their recruits, Asia Durr, Mariya Moore and Myisha Hines-Allen as a senior.

Texas-tons of talent coming to Austin. Between Atkins, Higgs, Holmes, Sutton, and McCarty, Texas should have their best team in over a decade.

Obviously, a lot will depend on how the 2016 performs as freshmen and where the 2017 class shakes out, but this transfer puts UCONN back in 1st or 2nd looking 2 years ahead.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Barring injuries/further transfers, Connecticut should have the strongest team in the nation once again. One through 5 they can play:
2-Kia Nurse, SR
3-KLS, JR
4. Napheesa Collier, JR
5. Azura Stevens, JR
With Gabby Williams, Natalie Butler and 2017 recruits earning time off the bench. In that starting 5, you have the top point guard from 2016, one of the better players from the class of 2014, the #1 recruit from 2015, a uniquely talented All-American forward transferring in, and a top 10 recruit from 2015 in Collier. They also lose just Chong from 2013 and will have a full roster back and potentially a loaded 2017 class. Simply put, UCONN will be stacked.

Notre Dame-Turner will be a senior alongside their great 2015 and 2016 classes. Muffett will need to replace Lindsey Allen, but she'll be their only major loss to make up for. With her program's success and recent recruiting, I would expect Notre Dame to have a great shot to land a couple of top 5-10 kids for 2017.

South Carolina-Senior A'ja Wilson will have a great chance at a title. The lineup also likely includes Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray assuming they play their 5th year.

Ohio State-Kelsey Mitchell will be a senior and will have a potent supporting cast to help burden the load.

Baylor-Lauren Cox, Brown and Mompremier will lead this group. Kim will keep Baylor a Final Four threat.

Louisville-they'll be loaded with all of their recruits, Asia Durr, Mariya Moore and Myisha Hines-Allen as a senior.

Texas-tons of talent coming to Austin. Between Atkins, Higgs, Holmes, Sutton, and McCarty, Texas should have their best team in over a decade.

Obviously, a lot will depend on how the 2016 performs as freshmen and where the 2017 class shakes out, but this transfer puts UCONN back in 1st or 2nd looking 2 years ahead.
I agree on all but Baylor. I think the PLAYERS SHE RECRUITS will keep them a FF threat. Kim will find a way to undercut their success.

Reaction Score
I usually check the Boneyard twice a day and in the off-season most days are uneventful. But, very rarely, there is a day like this. What a get. I couldn't be more thrilled. What a great program.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
More like the Marines---they get to do the Job the army and seals aren't trusted with---taking the enemies head on!!
Some of those Marines get to be Seals.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't know what the rules are, but I really don't think Geno would ever expect a player to stay at UConn if it were not in her best long-term interest to do so. We've just seen that with Morgan. In April 2018, if the landscape looks like it would be best for Azura to enter the WNBA draft, and she has completed her degree, I am sure that he would advise her to do just that.
He never has.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Our esteemed guest Coach Bill indicated it's likely UConn isn't recruiting Jade Williams at this point.

Stevens makes three new players in 2017 so my guess is just one more.
Thanks. I had missed that. I thought Jade was unlikely but still possible.

Reaction Score
This board is smoking tonight. Isn't it interesting how a single commit or transfer can cause this much excitement? I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg. Christmas came early this year. :D
A while ago I was wondering how to break the addiction to this board during the off season and get a life. Now I see this is not possible!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
great news

smart girl :)

welcome

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
This is HUGE...literally and figuratively! Welcome Azura (beautiful name)!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow!

Nice roster shaping up for 2017-18.
Sr: nurse, gabby, butler, Courtney Ekmark
Jr: kls, collier, Stevens
So: crystal, Molly Bent, Kyla Irwin
Fr: Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Lexi Gordon

Reaction Score

2-Kia Nurse, SR
3-KLS, JR
4. Napheesa Collier, JR
5. Azura Stevens, JR

That will be something to watch. That means it won't be a given for no one. Parity has arrived. That there is dog fight...Walker to the rescue would icing this cake.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You see now that those who want it all can have it all. There are reasons why some kids choose not to come to UConn and there are reasons why UConn chooses not to have certain kids. We all have heard the reasons. However for those who want it, and are willing to make a total commitment its here for the taking. This is more proof that Geno attracts top players. Butler and Stevens are going to be huge. Add in Lou and you've got a front court that is so big and athletic that it will be unfair to the rest of WCBB. Because AS and KLS are so athletic and good ball handlers it will be very difficult to defend them and very difficult to shoot over them.

This is going to be a big year for Butler. IMO she needs to slow down and play her game which is rebound and score. She does that and UConn will surprise a lot of teams. Yes there are some question marks this up coming season because of so many under classman who need to blossom into the players we are expecting and under Geno most will. Having Stevens commit has just taken UConn from a very good team to and overwhelming team much like we saw this past season. Its a great time to be a UConn Husky fan.

How fast things can change. A couple of days ago fans were asking why cant Geno get any bigs and I thought Geno can get bigs why aren't there any bigs worth getting. Then I thought about Mogan Tuck at 6'2 moving around bigger post players underneath and scoring and I thought to myself you really don't have to be 6'5 if you can handle the ball and have good moves. Now here we are today and all those fans who were concerned about bigs and bingo Stevens commits. I can tell you there are a couple of girls out there that are 6'3 who are coming up in high school who will commit to UConn now that they see that UConn is still the team to beat ... again .

Reaction Score
The staff has 19 months (from now to next October) to get her where they want her to be. The staff could get her there in half that time. There's not that much tweaking they have to do to her.

She could roll out of bed and play tomorrow with her new teammates...and pick up where she left off.18/9. :cool:

She COULD roll out of bed and play, even at Duke---just think what she will be when she rolls out of bed in a Uconn uniform to player her first game to play the game the Christine and Geno way??? I think you will see a transformation in her intensity and style of play. Her assest will be enhanced and her liabilities will be mininized. She will learn to play "help defense" like she never knew she could and her offense will be better than she has ever been---with 19 months WOW!!! She has superb talent and I was one stating how much I'd love her at Uconn.
Tweeking? Learning!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

2-Kia Nurse, SR
3-KLS, JR
4. Napheesa Collier, JR
5. Azura Stevens, JR

Can't see Gabby spending her Senior (or Junior) year coming off the Bench.

Reaction Score
You see now that those who want it all can have it all. There are reasons why some kids choose not to come to UConn and there are reasons why UConn chooses not to have certain kids. We all have heard the reasons. However for those who want it, and are willing to make a total commitment its here for the taking. This is more proof that Geno attracts top players. Butler and Stevens are going to be huge. Add in Lou and you've got a front court that is so big and athletic that it will be unfair to the rest of WCBB. Because AS and KLS are so athletic and good ball handlers it will be very difficult to defend them and very difficult to shoot over them.

This is going to be a big year for Butler. IMO she needs to slow down and play her game which is rebound and score. She does that and UConn will surprise a lot of teams. Yes there are some question marks this up coming season because of so many under classman who need to blossom into the players we are expecting and under Geno most will. Having Stevens commit has just taken UConn from a very good team to and overwhelming team much like we saw this past season. Its a great time to be a UConn Husky fan.

How fast things can change. A couple of days ago fans were asking why cant Geno get any bigs and I thought Geno can get bigs why aren't there any bigs worth getting. Then I thought about Mogan Tuck at 6'2 moving around bigger post players underneath and scoring and I thought to myself you really don't have to be 6'5 if you can handle the ball and have good moves. Now here we are today and all those fans who were concerned about bigs and bingo Stevens commits. I can tell you there are a couple of girls out there that are 6'3 who are coming up in high school who will commit to UConn now that they see that UConn is still the team to beat ... again .

Butler isn't fleet of foot or great lateral movement. She rebounds better than good. She shoots exceptionally well. All the training in the world won't make her a leaper, she is what she is. Can she replace Tuck? Not completely but I think, with the focus now on her by the coaching staff--you will see a new and improved Natalie next fall. Playing against Stevens will only help both of them--I look to Natalie to become a new/different version of Steff.

Reaction Score
Can't see Gabby spending her Senior (or Junior) year coming off the Bench.

I look to Gabby and Napheesa to be starters these next 2 years. Certainly this coming year Natalie will be more comfortable with their presence on the floor. Gabby and Napheesa both can and will shoot the three, both can and will attack the basket and both can and will rebound. Question is who will do the most sitting? Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, Crystal, KLS, Butler??

Reaction Score
Nice roster shaping up for 2017-18.
Sr: nurse, gabby, butler, Courtney Ekmark
Jr: kls, collier, Stevens
So: crystal, Molly Bent, Kyla Irwin
Fr: Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Lexi Gordon
My question on another threat: does this mean we shouldn't be expecting any additional commitments from the current high school juniors, because we've already maxed out the number of scholarshps for 17/18? Is 12 the maximum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom