Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My question on another threat: does this mean we shouldn't be expecting any additional commitments from the current high school juniors, because we've already maxed out the number of scholarshps for 17/18? Is 12 the maximum?

Reaction Score
Thanks, VG. Not to put a damper on all the speculation about continuing to recruit 5 star athletes, Geno has talked about how difficult it is to manage that sort of team (like 2001) when everyone wants and deserves playing time. CocoHusky a bit earlier pointed out that somehow Gabby needs to start, and that's the challenge: how to give each player her due. Otherwise, there can be serious tensions and the team can vastly underperform or at least lack that magnificently elegant cohesion that makes UConn worth watching.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My question on another threat: does this mean we shouldn't be expecting any additional commitments from the current high school juniors, because we've already maxed out the number of scholarshps for 17/18? Is 12 the maximum?
Blasphemy! The limit is 15 UCONN never get close. If we stop now that would mean no Megan in 2017! No Charli in 2018.

Reaction Score
Blasphemy! The limit is 15 UCONN never get close. If we stop now that would mean no Megan in 2017! No Charli in 2018.
:) But at 12 on scholarship already for 2017, and virtually everyone of them expecting serious playing time (unlike this year's team which went at most 9 deep with those expectations), the management issue gets tough. Better to have a shorter bench that is fully cohesive and where everyone gets quality playing time than a talent-laden bench of unmet expectations, IMHO. But I yield to your far greater expertise.

Reaction Score
In the past, I too have worried about having too many good players leading to problems with playing time and eventual transfers. But then I thought about the US Olympic team, which has 12 outstanding players, and how Geno seems to manage to give everyone adequate playing time. If you haven't recently watched the final two games of the 2012 Olympics, they are available on YouTube:

Well worth watching, especially in light of the Candace Parker controversy.

Reaction Score
I'm with Tony. It's often been said "UCONN doesn't rebuild - they reload". Never more true than the next 3-4 years.

We lost the Trinity. NEXT year is THE year to get UCONN. The coaches know it, the fans know it, and opposing teams know it. Geno will use it as motivation for the team - if anyone doesn't think the 2016-2017 UCONN team ISN'T ultra competitive and has a tremendous will to win, then they don't know Kia and KLS very well. Having said that, most fans would agree on paper, our upside is the final 4 for next season. But after that...

We will lose Saniya to graduation and gain Azura Stevens, Lexi Gordon, Andra Espinosa-Hunter and very possibly Megan Walker. Another dynasty in the making...

SR: Williams, Nurse, Butler, Ekmark
JR: Collier, Samuelson, Stevens
SO: Dangerfield, Irwin, Bent
FR: Espinosa, Gordon, (Walker)

That's a pretty large team but when you look at how many players who are probably top 10 in their classes - Williams, Nurse, Collier, Samuelson, Stevens, Dangerfield, and Walker - it is starting to look like one of the deepest pool of talented UCONN players in a very long time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:) But at 12 on scholarship already for 2017, and virtually everyone of them expecting serious playing time (unlike this year's team which went at most 9 deep with those expectations), the management issue gets tough. Better to have a shorter bench that is fully cohesive and where everyone gets quality playing time than a talent-laden bench of unmet expectations, IMHO. But I yield to your far greater expertise.
This is an arms race we are in! Playing time will take care of itself- It always does-think injuries, transfers and the cream rising to the top. What does not take care of itself is not having enough talent to win NC. Megan is an alpha. That alpha will earn her playing time.

Reaction Score
Great news ! A nice start to a rainy sunday. Possible 13 scholarship players ? I hope reduced minutes will not be a problem.

Reaction Score
In the past, I too have worried about having too many good players leading to problems with playing time and eventual transfers. But then I thought about the US Olympic team, which has 12 outstanding players, and how Geno seems to manage to give everyone adequate playing time.
Not to prolong this hypothetical discussion, because CocoHusky really has the last and best word, but I think there's a big difference between a four year college commitment with so many unknowns and Olympic competition lasting a couple of weeks where everyone gets seriously great publicity even if not all get great court time.

I'm just saying that every silver lining has a dark cloud, and that homeostasis has a way of reasserting itself, and that teachers, such as myself, have a way of spinning empty and stupid platitudes....

Reaction Score
We have 3 more scholarships for 17/18

Reaction Score
I've said it more than once. EVERY TIME I log on to the yard, I hope to see that we have signed a coveted player. THIS is one of those times. With Stevens coming into the fold, we're back in business. Ladies and gentlemen, we got our BIG!!! :D

Come 2017-2018 season, it'll be business as usual. As I say that, I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm conceding next season, far from it. I fully expect UConn to contend for another championship.

This is the best news I've read since UConn won the tournament. I wonder what the staff's reaction was when they got the news. This calls for a celebration, and I'm buying. The first round is on me.....cheers.

Good for you, Carnac: don't write off next season. The great news of the Coming of Azura seems to have pushed Kyla Irwin's advent into the distant background. It shouldn't. Kyla is going to be a very big deal next year inserted into Tuck's old spot and providing much needed help under the boards (on both ends) and is a key to UConn's ability to contend. With all of its talent, the Huskies are certainly going to be part of the conversation in 16/17. Bring it on.

Reaction Score
I look to Gabby and Napheesa to be starters these next 2 years. Certainly this coming year Natalie will be more comfortable with their presence on the floor. Gabby and Napheesa both can and will shoot the three, both can and will attack the basket and both can and will rebound. Question is who will do the most sitting? Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, Crystal, KLS, Butler??
Gabby and pheese struggled with the 3 ball. Needs to improve on that category to be the unstoppable players we know they can be. But love how both rebound defend and attack the rim.

Reaction Score
Gabby and pheese struggled with the 3 ball. Needs to improve on that category to be the unstoppable players we know they can be. But love how both rebound defend and attack the rim.
Good point. normally, not much of an issue with Crystal able to shoot lights out from 3. But for these relatively undersized players to make it in the WNBA, they will definitely need a long ball. It's to their advantage right now.

Reaction Score
Good point. normally, not much of an issue with Crystal able to shoot lights out from 3. But for these relatively undersized players to make it in the WNBA, they will definitely need a long ball. It's to their advantage right now.

Your point is well taken, too, Bags. I'm glad the focus on next year hasn't been completely lost. Don't know what the prospect of either Napheesa's or Williams's shooting from the perimeter is, but both seem to be adequate mid-range jumpers. It's true that shorter players need an outside game for the next level; you need only to look at Kelly Faris's career to see the difference it makes. (Faris, in fact, may be pushed off of the Sun roster by sharp-shooter Jamie Weisner this year.)

Reaction Score
Wow!

Nice roster shaping up for 2017-18.
Sr: nurse, gabby, butler
Jr: kls, collier, Stevens
So: crystal
This is a gift from the basketball gods. What in the world is going on at Duke? I thought the women's BB coach there was revered? But everyone, as at Kentucky, seem to be bailing out of that program. I would think both coaches ( Duke and Kentucky) are in some serious jeopardy.
By the way, don't overlook Kyla and Molly as you fantasize on future rosters. I realize that they don't arrive with the usual fanfare, but I have looked at available tapes on them, and they could really surprise to the upside. That is what we all hope, for sure.

Reaction Score
Your point is well taken, too, Bags. I'm glad the focus on next year hasn't been completely lost. Don't know what the prospect of either Napheesa's or Williams's shooting from the perimeter is, but both seem to be adequate mid-range jumpers. It's true that shorter players need an outside game for the next level; you need only to look at Kelly Faris's career to see the difference it makes. (Faris, in fact, may be pushed off of the Sun roster by sharp-shooter Jamie Weisner this year.)
We can only imagine from how much progress Gabby made over last summer what progress she will make this summer. That she turned from a poor foul shooter into an excellent one bodes very well for her extending her shooting range to the 3 point line. And Napheesa did shoot 3s in high school. It might be more a matter of her getting confidence. If so, along with Crystal and Lou (and Kia picking it up recently), it'd be raining 3s next year! (which, in fact, might be more the style of play as we await Azura--who can also bomb away--the following year).

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This is a gift from the basketball gods. What in the world is going on at Duke? I thought the women's BB coach there was revered? But everyone, as at Kentucky, seem to be bailing out of that program. I would think both coaches ( Duke and Kentucky) are in some serious jeopardy.
By the way, don't overlook Kyla and Molly as you fantasize on future rosters. I realize that they don't arrive with the usual fanfare, but I have looked at available tapes on them, and they could really surprise to the upside. That is what we all hope, for sure.
Revered? Ha! You must be thinking of their previous coach. Go take a look at any Duke forum and you'll see exactly what their fans' opinion is of her.

Reaction Score
So this transfer by AZ must indicates something. Disillusionment with her previous situation, in what way? There was a post recently discussing how a recruit may make her decision on where she decides to play. The post discussed something like: 1. the basketball program, 2a. academic, 2b. ...., but also included vicinity to home, etc. I don't think the decision making process is even that simple. Each recruit uses a weighted scale applied to 1., 2a., 2b.,... With all that, the AZ transfer indicates a weighted scale tipped strongly to the overall basketball program and experience (1.). That is the TOTAL program experience including the opportunity to become the best player you can be, achieving the highest team success and the best preparation for professional opportunity. So when a recruit does not choose UCONN it is ONLY because the total basketball experience is not weighted as heavily. It could only be that simple. AZ figured that out.
Most of the interviews Stewie did after being selected number 1, in the WNBA draft, she emphasized how playing for Geno was difficult, but what she needed to become the best player she could be. For a young player looking to reach Stewie's level, that has to be a big testament for playing for GENO at UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the rules are, but I really don't think Geno would ever expect a player to stay at UConn if it were not in her best long-term interest to do so. We've just seen that with Morgan. In April 2018, if the landscape looks like it would be best for Azura to enter the WNBA draft, and she has completed her degree, I am sure that he would advise her to do just that.
That makes sense, but it just might be that Geno and his assistants may not wish to invest their time and efforts in a transfer they think is likely to play only one year. So I would not be surprised if AS promised to play two years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gabby never attempted threes. The ease with which she hit most of her mid shots which were part of her .636 shooting % gives good hope to the fact she can extend her range to include threes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom