Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree. It's like all the other promos that are done - coaches mic-ed up, locker room speeches, tons of social media, and there is UConn. Very quietly doing their thing, their way, and not getting sucked into all the crud.

The way the staff handled this, kind of makes you think about the way Navy Seal Teams go about their business. They go in and come out in stealth mode, and no body knows they were ever there.

Like Kwaye Chang Cain (Kung ) walking on rice paper. They complete their mission, get the Job done, and everybody comes home safe. THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Everybody does not have to know your business.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She may not be Stewie, but she's as close as anyone will be in the next few years. The year of practice, she should be ready to rock, and roll when the 2017-2018 season starts.

The staff has 19 months (from now to next October) to get her where they want her to be. The staff could get her there in half that time. There's not that much tweaking they have to do to her.

She could roll out of bed and play tomorrow with her new teammates........and pick up where she left off......18/9. :cool:

Reaction Score
image.gif

Reaction Score
Very good news going forward.

If a fire needed to be lit under Natalie, this should do the trick. (Not saying that Natalie
isn't focused on what she needs to do over the summer, but this ought to sharpen that
focus).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have. They've played against one another twice already and each time Wilson has won the overall battle. Wilson just has a way of taking Stevens completely out of her game.. probably because Wilson is a better perimeter defender than people give her credit for and when Wilson wasn't giving her threes, Stevens would always try to play Wilson's game offensively (inside). Stevens' biggest strength/mismatch as a post is her ability to run the wings and knock down threes before the defense gets set.. but against SC, Wilson was always just quick enough to guard her on the perimeter and whenever Stevens would try to go inside, no contest there.

Stevens has WAY better offensive range (at this point, Dawn is working on that with Wilson), she's a better ball handler than Wilson and she's quick for a 6'6" post player but she's not strong enough to battle with Wilson inside (it's really undersold how strong Wilson is inside) and Wilson is just quick enough to guard her on the perimeter. All in all, A'ja is a terrible matchup for Stevens... and that's not to take anything away from Stevens. She's a matchup nightmare for any post player not named A'ja Wilson. Wilson is just too strong for Stevens.

That will be a major key for Stevens going forward.. getting stronger.. She needs a Breanna Stewart like physical transformation. Stevens has all of the intangibles offensively, she just needs to get stronger physically, which in turn will help her defensively.

Huge get for Connecticut. Adding in Stevens, UCONN gets a legit AA caliber player who can be a go to from day 1.

A'ja Wilson is the stronger post of the two due to her frame, athleticism and skill set. A'ja really impressed this year with her ability to bang in the post and was not afraid of contact, where as a freshman she had a tendency to shy away.

Stevens reminds me a bit of former Dukie Iciss Tillis, but significantly better. A lanky tall forward with very good perimeter skills, a 3pt shot and not the strongest low post game offensively. She has all of the potential in the world to be a star and potential Olympian. My guess is she'll be a major candidate for NPOY as a junior when she puts on a UCONN uniform and Geno will utilize her length and keep her anchored as a 5 defensively, but move her both inside and out offensively.

Reaction Score
The way the staff handled this, kind of makes you think about the way Navy Seal Teams go about their business. They go in and come out in stealth mode, and no body knows they were ever there.

Like Kwaye Chang Cain (Kung ) walking on rice paper. They complete their mission, get the Job done, and everybody comes home safe. THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Everybody does not have to know your business.

CAR: on man, TELL it. You are on a roll today for sure. Loved that last paragraph as it pertains to the world scene.

Reaction Score

Charlie---now you can say I told your so!! Some on the Boneyard said NEVER--Geno does not take Transfers
NEVER SAY NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a red lettered day!!! Thank you Ms Steven's you made my next three years!!!! Thank you Geno for not saying NEVER at Uconn!! Thank you coaches and team for seeing her potential in a blue and white uniform!

`

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very good news going forward.

If a fire needed to be lit under Natalie, this should do the trick. (Not saying that Natalie
isn't focused on what she needs to do over the summer, but this ought to sharpen that
focus).
She will also have a very good player to practice against.

Reaction Score
CAR: nifty "heh heh heh" and grin. Gives me one of the latter.
More like the Marines---they get to do the Job the army and seals aren't trusted with---taking the enemies head on!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Huge get for Connecticut. Adding in Stevens, UCONN gets a legit AA caliber player who can be a go to from day 1.

She has all of the potential in the world to be a star and potential Olympian. My guess is she'll be a major candidate for NPOY as a junior when she puts on a UCONN uniform and Geno will utilize her length and keep her anchored as a 5 defensively, but move her both inside and out offensively.

most def... especially since she's a UCONN player :D

Reaction Score
Dang - beat me to it! WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWSER!!!!!

I have a big wide grin on my face! I think she is a really exciting player, and I think she will fit really well with both the coaches and the players!
WOW-ZER. WOWDIE WOW WOW WOW YOWZER WOWDID WOW WOW. WHO'A THUNK IT AS A FLORIDA GUY USED TO SAY!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My youngest Daughter played with her sister Da Sheana in the Norwalk City League. The won it all. IMO it is really important to get Butler starting and making an impact so Stevens can play the wing with KLS. The following season or two well we could be looking at another NC and undefeated season.
didnt know they were sister... DaSheana was good, she lit UConn up once but still lost. D is an assistant coach at St. Johns suprised Azura didnt go there but I think she's smart :p

Reaction Score
From what I have observed via TV, Azura is not naturally a "banger" and does not relish that role. She can do it if she has to, but would much prefer to play away from the basket. So she would have largely the same game as Stewie, if not quite that level of skill. Or you might call her a "taller KLS".

I agree with the Carolina Sandpiper (above) that Azura is not as strong as A'ja Wilson, but really, Stewie was not as strong as A'ja either but played against her effectively. I think that when Azura gets into a UConn offense and is moving all around the court, A'ja will not find it easy to guard her. I'm not sure that Azura can effectively guard A'ja or other big posts in the paint, but neither am I sure that she will have that assignment (at least not exclusively) when UConn plays South Carolina in 2018.

Agreed.........that's why it's important for UConn fans that see 6'6" remember that she is not really a post player so Butler is still going to be an important part of the team in certain cicumstances

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Did anyone see this coming. I didn't. What a great addition.

Yes ........turns out in this instance the "Twitter Follower Detective Method" actually held true...........I admit I was a doubter but I'm glad I was proven wrong..............................

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
This sure came outta nowhere.
Wow. I was skeptical this would happen only because UConn so rarely entertains transfers, but she seems to be a great fit for UConn, and UConn (of course) seems like a great place for her.

And now all the other fans are REALLY hating us lol.
More than the last 4 years??? :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc