Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This dude is not making a whole lot of sense in the last 2 days, so you might want to ask him to clarify on that Blair bit, but his reasoning is that he wants Blair to be part of a richer tradition of sports where she feels a sense of home and blood.

Where did he say that about Blair being part of a richer tradition and feeling more at home? Was it in the press conference?

Reaction Score
I guess, but how does one get a better sense of home 2 states away from her college home, where she was already an assistant coach? A richer general sports tradition I’ll give him, but not an appreciation for women’s basketball. I would guarantee that no establishment in Starkville would allow him to buy a drink or a meal. Whereas he could win 2 natty’s at Texas and not get recognized by 95% of Austin.

The simple truth is he wanted to go home to the state of Texas and only the state of Texas. If Baylor had called I’m sure he would have taken the job. Most state fans I know always assumed we’d lose him to aTm when Blair retired. The fact that he left for somewhere other than aTm without a goodbye or thank you and that the girls found out via Twitter is what has rubbed state fans the wrong way. I think he finally got around to thanking State but considering we gave him the platform from which he jumped to Texas he could have left with a little more grace. It’s not like he was a household name before the oppurtunity we gave him, an opportunity he was paid handsomely for.

Reaction Score
Of all the players, she is far and away the most fired up about this on social media.

I tried to do my own research and could only find what was on Twitter. Didn’t think it was anything bad. Is there more on IG? I couldn’t find her

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Mississippi State has always been the poor little sister to Ole Miss? Please, maybe in the pre segregation 60’s. Miss State has a much better football, baseball, basketball, and women’s basketball program and has for a while. In just the last 25 years state has been to a men’s Final Four, been a national runner-up in baseball, been a national runner-up in wbb, and was #1 in football for 5 weeks. Ole Miss has done none of those things in their history. If you take away the medical school State has more students, has higher ACT scores from incoming freshmen, and is higher ranked as a university by most publications than Ole Miss has. It’s all been downhill for Ole Miss since Archie graduated.
And State has the cooler cheer - HAIL STATE!

Reaction Score
Time will tell. But I’ll bet the ranch that in 3-5 years TX is a perennial top-10 team, while TN will still be fighting to get back into the top-25.
Texas has tended to whiff when bringing in big name coaches. Agree that it will take Vic several years to get the team to Top 10 status. Baylor and A&M are deeply embedded in Texas HS recruiting and they will not go away. Vic is a great coach but he needs to rebuild his team of assistants and will still be considered the new guy until he proves otherwise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Texas has tended to whiff when bringing in big name coaches. Agree that it will take Vic several years to get the team to Top 10 status. Baylor and A&M are deeply embedded in Texas HS recruiting and they will not go away. Vic is a great coach but he needs to rebuild his team of assistants and will still be considered the new guy until he proves otherwise.
Yes and no. Vic is new to the University of TX, but he has been a fixture in TX HS recruiting going all the way back to his assistant coaching days at A&M. TX HS coaches know him and probably like him. As for his team of assistants, Vic will probably bring along several from Starkville to hit the ground running.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If some high level Miss St. players want to transfer to follow their coaches, does the NCAA look on that (historically) as ok and the players do not need to sit out a year. Does the TX roster have room for the influx?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If some high level Miss St. players want to transfer to follow their coaches, does the NCAA look on that (historically) as ok and the players do not need to sit out a year. Does the TX roster have room for the influx?
The NCAA does not care.
The players will have to sit a year under the current rules. The current rules might change.
The current Texas roster has 7 players that could be returning + 4 signed players for the class of 2020=11. That would leave Texas with a minimum of 4 scholarships available for the 20-21 season if there is going to be a season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The NCAA does not care.
The players will have to sit a year under the current rules. The current rules might change.
The current Texas roster has 7 players that could be returning + 4 signed players for the class of 2020=11. That would leave Texas with a minimum of 4 scholarships available for the 20-21 season if there is going to be a season.
TX also signed a GS from Harvard, so as it stands right now they have 3 scholarships available for next season. The Longhorns graduate 4 of their top 6 players. As for the players coming in, only 2 are rated in Hoopgurlz top-100 at 52 & 97. I expect Vic will be hitting the transfer portal hard over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The NCAA does not care.

But coaching changes (and specifically wanting to keep the same coach) may make a transfer waiver more plausible?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
but Evina did not follow her old coach to a new position.

I am specifically thinking of Miss ST players who want to follow Vic to TX
Now that Chloe Bibby has entered the portal, it will be interesting to see if she ends up at TX. The Longhorns can certainly use some help & experience in the frontcourt.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aside from starting in a better situation at Texas than he did at MSU and possibly that he can overtake Baylor nothing in this post is accurate. Of course I’m sure plenty of Ole Miss fans share a similar opinion. In 30 years I’ve also never seen a swamp anywhere near Starkville. In fairness the weather describes every SEC West university but that has been a big plus in recruiting for all of us.
That’s the weather in Florida too. UCF, Miami, FSU, USF, FGCU, and Florida seem to do ok.

Reaction Score
Oh, good heaven - that was the tweet?

Until your post here kind of cleared it up I didn't see any racial overtones to it, and it was circulated on Facebook (at least where I saw it) by, well, a relatively elderly lady who in her comment cracked that here husband better watch out.

One of the problems we face is folks read way too much into things. Should he have tweeted it in today's day and age, probably not. Should lots of folks be twisted over it, no.
You perhaps should do a bit more research on Mississippi and its history of lynching black men before you make commentary about not seeing any "racial overtones" in this.... As a primer for you,, I recommend listening to Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit".....

Reaction Score
Now that Chloe Bibby has entered the portal, it will be interesting to see if she ends up at TX. The Longhorns can certainly use some help & experience in the frontcourt.

She's not going to Texas. I don't think there's much love lost between her and Vic. She was supposed to be a team leader this past year and was disciplined numerous times for various off-court violations. She was leaving MSU BEFORE the Vic thing with Texas.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She's not going to Texas. I don't think there's much love lost between her and Vic. She was supposed to be a team leader this past year and was disciplined numerous times for various off-court violations. She was leaving MSU BEFORE the Vic thing with Texas.
Then why did Bibby tweet the following two days ago?

Congratulations to Coach Schaefer. wishing him and his family nothing but the best in their new journey. ❤

If there was no love lost between the two, it’s difficult to understand why she bothered to tweet her congratulations while also adding a heart emoji.

Reaction Score

Congratulations to Coach Schaefer. wishing him and his family nothing but the best in their new journey. ❤
I don't know about all the violations and stuff, but she was reported to have decided to transfer before Schaefer left. She was the only player who posted something congratulatory, while every other player seemed upset and disappointed. I think she was just going to lose her minutes, not because of something with Vic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know about all the violations and stuff, but she was reported to have decided to transfer before Schaefer left. She was the only player who posted something congratulatory, while every other player seemed upset and disappointed. I think she was just going to lose her minutes, not because of something with Vic.
Plenty of minutes available at TX, particularly in the frontcourt.

Reaction Score

If there was no love lost between the two, it’s difficult to understand why she bothered to tweet her congratulations while also adding a heart emoji.
This is the good bye tweet u wanted Schaefer to give to MSU fans and players. She’s showing how it’s done

Reaction Score
But coaching changes (and specifically wanting to keep the same coach) may make a transfer waiver more plausible?

You mean you want Vic to screw over Miss St/fans again by "cherry picking" players/transfers that he likes? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom