Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure a lot of people are aware of Mississippi State or it's location. They have always been the poor sister to the University of Mississippi. The weather is terrible, humid and hot and they are basically surrounded by a swamp. The fact that he built the program he did at Mississippi State is amazing. At Texas he will be so far ahead of the curve that aside from leaving players you have recruited there is no downside. I give him two to three years and Baylor will no longer be top dog in Texas.
Aside from starting in a better situation at Texas than he did at MSU and possibly that he can overtake Baylor nothing in this post is accurate. Of course I’m sure plenty of Ole Miss fans share a similar opinion. In 30 years I’ve also never seen a swamp anywhere near Starkville. In fairness the weather describes every SEC West university but that has been a big plus in recruiting for all of us.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
We can put to bed any of those "He's leaving for a more prestigious program" assumptions.

He was offered Tennessee last year and turned it down. Texas has the #1 athletic budget, but they're not as prestigious in women's basketball as Tennessee.

Vic wanted to get home, as well as try to advance the career of Blair Schaefer who wants to be head coach one day. So he had in his mind his daughter along with the rest of his family, and his sister.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We can put to bed any of those "He's leaving for a more prestigious program" assumptions.

He was offered Tennessee last year and turned it down. Texas has the #1 athletic budget, but they're not as prestigious in women's basketball as Tennessee.

Vic wanted to get home, as well as try to advance the career of Blair Schaefer who wants to be head coach one day. So he had in his mind his daughter along with the rest of his family, and his sister.
You’re not really serious about TN being a more prestigious program than TX? Maybe once upon a time, but the LV’s have fallen into the middle of the pack in the SEC, well behind SC, MS St, A&M & KY.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
You’re not really serious about TN being a more prestigious program than TX? Maybe once upon a time, but the LV’s have fallen into the middle of the pack in the SEC, well behind SC, MS St, A&M & KY.

Well, I look at history. I think Tennessee also has a better chance of being elite again than Kentucky or A&M at their current state. Holly Warlick did well at first, but she ruined the program after her 2nd batch of recruits. Kellie has to clean up her mess. It's simply that for me. Holly didn't need to win 8 championships, but she didn't manage to keep Tennessee afloat and that's basically the reason for the huge problems right now.

So yes, while they are dealing with a lot of issues right now, I think if you judge by all criterias considered, Tennessee is the far better option than Texas solely for women's basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, I look at history. I think Tennessee also has a better chance of being elite again than Kentucky or A&M as their current state. Holly Warlick did well at first, but she ruined the program after her 2nd batch of recruits. Kellie has to clean up her mess. It's simply that for that.

So yes, while they are dealing with a lot of issues right now, but I still think if you judge by all criterias considered, Tennessee is the far better than Texas solely for women's basketball.
I guess it depends on your point of view. IMO, TN’s hay day has passed and it isn’t coming back. While KJH is a step up from HW, she has not been able to recruit well so far, and to be honest, TN got her on the cheap, which is indicative of a lack of emphasis on WBB.

In their decision to hire Vic and build a new arena, along with their academic reputation and location in one of the nation’s hotbeds of WBB recruiting, I don’t think there is a coach in the country, other than KJH, that would suggest that TN is better situated for success in WBB than TX.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on your point of view. IMO, TN’s hay day has passed and it isn’t coming back. While KJH is a step up from HW, she has not been able to recruit well so far, and to be honest, TN got her on the cheap, which is indicative of a lack of emphasis on WBB.

In their decision to hire Vic and build a new arena, along with their academic reputation and location in one of the nation’s hotbeds of WBB recruiting, I don’t think there is a coach in the country, other than KJH, that would suggest that TN is better situated for success in WBB than TX.

Well that's kind of what you'd be saying if Vic took the job at Tennessee last year. He was officially offered and said no mostly because that's even further to the state of Texas.

While it's true they're getting an awesome arena and that they're in a recruiting hotbed - Austin also has tons of other sports going on on a Sunday. They might not necessarily come supporting the women's basketball team if there's a better option. Volleyball, softball, tennis, baseball, etc. Those could all be more interesting than women's basketball. A national championship tennis team, a historically strong baseball program, elite in volleyball too.

Tennessee has the fans who come out for women's basketball even when they're losing, their stadium isn't a drastic decline from Texas', and I don't think the area is drastically lesser in recruiting either. I also don't think Tennessee hired Kellie out of a lack of emphasis for WBB. Vic and Jeff both turned them down, there was no other option. I also think the Tennessee athletic department emphasizes WBB far more than Texas.

So yeah....... if given the option of Tennessee vs Texas for Vic, I'd say Tennessee is better. One thing I do agree with you on is that Kellie needs to do better in recruiting, but this is assuming all problems at Tennessee right now is temporary.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well that's kind of what you'd be saying if Vic took the job at Tennessee last year. He was officially offered and said no mostly because that's even further to the state of Texas.

While it's true they're getting an awesome arena and that they're in a recruiting hotbed - Austin also has tons of other sports going on on a Sunday. They might not necessarily come supporting the women's basketball team if there's a better option. Volleyball, softball, tennis, baseball, etc. Those could all be more interesting than women's basketball. A national championship tennis team, a historically strong baseball program, elite in volleyball too.

Tennessee has the fans who come out for women's basketball even when they're losing, their stadium isn't a drastic decline from Texas', and I don't think the area is drastically lesser in recruiting either. I also don't think Tennessee hired Kellie out of a lack of emphasis for WBB. Vic and Jeff both turned them down, there was no other option. I also think the Tennessee athletic department emphasizes WBB far more than Texas.

So yeah....... if given the option of Tennessee vs Texas for Vic, I'd say Tennessee is better. One thing I do agree with you on is that Kellie needs to do better in recruiting, but this is assuming all problems at Tennessee right now is temporary.
Time will tell. But I’ll bet the ranch that in 3-5 years TX is a perennial top-10 team, while TN will still be fighting to get back into the top-25.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Time will tell. But I’ll bet the ranch that in 3-5 years TX is a perennial top-10 team, while TN will still be fighting to get back into the top-25.

I hope not. I hope Mulkey beats the tar out of Vic. At least Mulkey now has a direct opponent who schedules even softer than she does. :D

Reaction Score
Id love to see a Texas vs Miss State matchup in the SEC/Big 12 challenge next season....... provided the game would be in Starkville.
That would he very interesting. I think they played in 16-17 and 18-19, so maybe 20-21 as well. I would love to see the handshake line between Vic and the players (especially Espinoza-Hunter).

Reaction Score
If Vic has been negotiating for some time as I referenced in a previous post, That means he was negotiating with UT while he was being paid by MSU and active in season and in charge of recruiting for MSU. If I was an MSU fan, I would be livid at the duplicity. I would want to know how long the negotiations had gone on and the potential for conflict of interest in all areas of coaching and recruitment. If Vic did not give 100% to MSU recruiting for any time while he was the coach at MSU has that recruiting been damaged by his action or lack of actions. Lots of questions on this issue

I hear ya. But it's very hard to know the truth in college sports, much less one that struggles for attention like women's basketball. With the largest paper in MS furloughing writers, may not get much gumshoe out of this one. I'm more concerned with how they disrespected Aston and the MSU players.

Reaction Score
For those interested, Vic's first press conference (socially distanced) is posted:

That *#^$&# blank orange tie looks so #&$*@@ blanking stupid on him. I can't believe his @&$&@ left for $&^#*#$&$ tea-sippin, Ole Miss on steroids, Texas. #&$*(##&.

Okay. I'm fine. Really. I'll be ok........#&$*&$*$#*#$&$#(@*@*@*#*$&$&%*%&$*#*#*#!!!!!!

Reaction Score
That would he very interesting. I think they played in 16-17 and 18-19, so maybe 20-21 as well. I would love to see the handshake line between Vic and the players (especially Espinoza-Hunter).
Why hunter

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Honestly, If I were the president of TAMU... I would revoke his degree for using that hand gesture.
Lol so you would forgive him becoming the Texas coach, as long as he refrained from hand gestures?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lol so you would forgive him becoming the Texas coach, as long as he refrained from hand gestures?

I was gonna say that about him becoming the T Sip Coach as well... but didnt want to come off as overly petty :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure a lot of people are aware of Mississippi State or it's location. They have always been the poor sister to the University of Mississippi. The weather is terrible, humid and hot and they are basically surrounded by a swamp. The fact that he built the program he did at Mississippi State is amazing. At Texas he will be so far ahead of the curve that aside from leaving players you have recruited there is no downside. I give him two to three years and Baylor will no longer be top dog in Texas.
Mississippi State has always been the poor little sister to Ole Miss? Please, maybe in the pre segregation 60’s. Miss State has a much better football, baseball, basketball, and women’s basketball program and has for a while. In just the last 25 years state has been to a men’s Final Four, been a national runner-up in baseball, been a national runner-up in wbb, and was #1 in football for 5 weeks. Ole Miss has done none of those things in their history. If you take away the medical school State has more students, has higher ACT scores from incoming freshmen, and is higher ranked as a university by most publications than Ole Miss has. It’s all been downhill for Ole Miss since Archie graduated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

How does going to Texas help his daughter’s future coaching career any more than him being treated like a God at Mississippi State. I’m not discounting him doing it for his family, but I see no way that his daughter has a brighter coaching future with him in Austin than she would with him coaching in Starkville, where she actually played, giving her much more goodwill in MS than she’ll have in TX.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I hate Texas more than Ole Miss honestly. My dad went to Mississippi State, I was raised a Bulldog in Starkville but I went to Texas for college. So our family has ties to both institutions. Texas just wasn't a good fit for me... and I just don't like that city or the university. And now listening to Vic's spiel about La Grange where he grew up (where I worked for an oil company) makes me dislike him even more, and Texas for luring him there.

It's funny, Mike Leach robbed them of a chance to play for a national title in 2008 and now he's the head coach at Mississippi State.

Don't have a great deal of vendetta against Ole Miss though. Other than that 2014 football game that broke my heart, I usually always ignore them and couldn't really care less about that place.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
How does going to Texas help his daughter’s future coaching career any more than him being treated like a God at Mississippi State. I’m not discounting him doing it for his family, but I see no way that his daughter has a brighter coaching future with him in Austin than she would with him coaching in Starkville, where she actually played, giving her much more goodwill in MS than she’ll have in TX.

This dude is not making a whole lot of sense in the last 2 days, so you might want to ask him to clarify on that Blair bit, but his reasoning is that he wants Blair to be part of a richer tradition of sports where she feels a sense of home and blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom