Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I had the same thought. The folks on the Texas board have been talking about replacements almost all season long. Schaefer's name barely came up, and any time I thought of him, I did the same instantaneous mental dismissal as you.

In terms of potential "home run hires" (established coaches at elite programs), I actually thought Walz would've been the most poachable.

As I said elsewhere, the times they are a'changin'. The UT-A&M rivalry has lost a bit of its edge, perhaps, since conference realignment. I remember when Danni Williams grad-transferred to Texas, people said they never thought they'd see an Aggie wear Longhorn orange.

As Geno quipped some time ago, "What happened to the hate? It's no fun anymore."
Trust me, Schaefer's name came up a lot on the several different Texas message boards, as did the names of Walz and Staley. Those of us who tried to be realistic and objective would try to bring those posters back down to earth by stating the facts of Vic's existing double-salary of Aston, drawing huge home crowds, having a consistent program competing for national titles, and recruiting extremely well. Why on earth would a former Aggie leave all that to try and resurrect the Longhorns' program? FAMILY

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Vic has been negotiating for some time as I referenced in a previous post, That means he was negotiating with UT while he was being paid by MSU and active in season and in charge of recruiting for MSU. If I was an MSU fan, I would be livid at the duplicity. I would want to know how long the negotiations had gone on and the potential for conflict of interest in all areas of coaching and recruitment. If Vic did not give 100% to MSU recruiting for any time while he was the coach at MSU has that recruiting been damaged by his action or lack of actions. Lots of questions on this issue
Most people who voluntarily switch employers have already lined up another job and often employees are headhunted (specifically targeted by firms who specialize in finding upper level candidates for businesses.) Most higher end coaches have agents and part of their job is knowing the employment environment for their clients.

I suspect Vic's agent was the primary contact and negotiator with TX and I doubt Vic gave it much if any thought while his season was still happening. Since the tournament was canceled and recruiting was halted a few days later, there hasn't been a lot for coaches to do - they can answer calls from recruits, but I believe it is a dead period for them to take any active roll in contacting recruits.

Reaction Score
Miss State head football coach tweeted an image that contained a woman knitting a noose while quarantined at home. Pretty stupid this day and age. And also at least one player entered into the transfer portal because of his actions
He tweeted a picture of a woman knitting a scarf in the form a noose with the caption something along the lines of “After quarantining with her husband for the last month Nancy knitted him a new scarf.” However the player allegedly leaving due to the tweet has since been deemed to be inaccurate. He had been rumored to be leaving for a while. The culture under Coach Moorhead had gotten bad and others will leave due to the new rules. Further the headline in the paper even reads to imply he may be leaving due to the tweet but never says that was confirmed that was the reason. Regardless it wasn’t the smartest thing to tweet. He has since apologized and numerous players (to include several African American players) have come out defending him. This isn’t the first ill advised tweet he has sent. He really needs to stay off Twitter.

Reaction Score
It just seems that in his letter detailing his discussion with the team and the search for a new HC, Cohen could have easily added one sentence thanking Schaefer for his contribution to MS St WBB. I just found it odd that there was no reference in the letter to the reason why the Bulldogs were looking for a new coach.
I understand but I didn’t think anything about it other than he was putting the focus on the program and the players and signees. I’m glad he is selling the program as a top program versus putting anything out with Coach Schaefer. There is plenty of time for that later. Coach Schaefer changed his Twitter header yesterday to the Texas logo too but I took that as he is hitting the ground running versus any ill will.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If Vic has been negotiating for some time as I referenced in a previous post, That means he was negotiating with UT while he was being paid by MSU and active in season and in charge of recruiting for MSU. If I was an MSU fan, I would be livid at the duplicity. I would want to know how long the negotiations had gone on and the potential for conflict of interest in all areas of coaching and recruitment. If Vic did not give 100% to MSU recruiting for any time while he was the coach at MSU has that recruiting been damaged by his action or lack of actions. Lots of questions on this issue
Check this out. Yeah, it stings but guess who is current head football coach at UConn? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think the BY generally considers Vic Schaefer to be a Class Act. Regardless of how everyone felt in Starkville, it would have been appropriate and professional for the AD to issue a perfunctory press release thanking Vic for all he did for WBB at MS St and wishing him well.
Do you want him to mean it too

Reaction Score
Did coach Aston our our a release saying good bye to fans and thanking university for the opportunity and her players

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When we last talked about this in a thread about coaches being on the hot seat Karen's name was certainly included in the discussion. I though the explanation from a Texas poster (I don think it was you), which made sense at the time, was that it was a matter of "priority" for Texas. Texas had a new AD? Football had priority? Men's basketball had the second priority (Smart Extension) and they would eventually get to Karen. If fact this poster also said that they would not be surprised if Karen's extension or lack of would be handled by the AD for women's sport. Am I misremembering any/all of this? BTW FSU is in a similar mess with Sue Semrau.
This is a very interesting point Coco, I do wonder if any discussions/proclamations/comments by the FSU AD have been forthcoming...As the WCBB World Turns" da, da, da dah...:rolleyes:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, to clarify, Vic stated his parents are buried 65 miles away from Austin; so, they are not still alive as some of us may have incorrectly inferred.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yeah, Iremember all
Yeah, I remember all of that. Lost respect for him then and haven't seen anything that will make me regain it. I live in SC now and so when it comes to football it's all Clemson and SCAR

Reaction Score
I would be curious to see if Texas made a run at anyone else like Kelly Graves? (I could see them make an attempt but Graves is in such a great spot and is recruiting at a high level to Eugene (easily the top 2020 class). Texas did raid and significantly outbid for Oregon's top 5 Softball coach, Mike White, 2 years ago. The Longhorns have unreal deep pockets due to all the land grant aid that Texas and Texas A&M receive.
That is silly. White and the womens AD hated and I mean hated one another before that occurred.

Oregon has real deep pockets too when Oregon chooses to do so (aka Knights 34 billion private net worth) but it has not been in Oregons historically DNA to throw money at coaches for any price. If your remember football and Chip Kelley as an example.

Reaction Score

Sounds like one year football coach Willie Taggart at Oregon. Used the Oregon private jet resources to stop and interview at FSU while on a recruiting trip. That occurs more often than you think.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Miss State head football coach tweeted an image that contained a woman knitting a noose while quarantined at home. Pretty stupid this day and age.
Yeah, but it's Mississippi. That a feature not a bug.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You're not wrong in terms of your conclusion that UT and A&M have deep pockets, but it's worth clarifying that UT is not a land grant school, though Texas A&M is, along with A&M Prairie View. And the deep pockets have nothing to do with being a land grant school, a status whose origins go back to the federal government donating grants of land for state universities first during the Civil War era (when A&M was established), with a second wave in the 1890s (when Prairie View was founded).

The reason the UT and A&M schools have deep pockets is the oil and gas revenues trust that contributes over $1b per year to the Texas state schools. That, not an act of generosity from the federal government 150 years ago, is why they're so rich. Just ask poor land grant schools like Oregon State and Washington State - being a land grant is no guarantee of deep pockets, and usually quite the opposite.
For the record, I'm 99% certain that part of Rutgers was also a Land Grant institution, back when I was in school and the University operated different undergraduate colleges, it was Cook College and before that NJ College of Agriculture I believe. Since my day the various colleges (Cook, Douglas, Rutgers and Livingston) have consolidated and exist only as residential centers. And here I was, proud to have graduated from Rutgers College, and able to confuse a few folks with my school ring. Rutgers College by the way was the descendent of the 1766 Queens College. King's became Princeton IIRC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Like most such situations, I'm pretty certain that Texas had to get permission to talk to him. After all, Miss State was able to make a good offer before he officially left. Unfortunately, since he was interested in returning to the State of Texas, there probably was no offer good enough.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
He tweeted a picture of a woman knitting a scarf in the form a noose with the caption something along the lines of “After quarantining with her husband for the last month Nancy knitted him a new scarf.” However the player allegedly leaving due to the tweet has since been deemed to be inaccurate. He had been rumored to be leaving for a while. The culture under Coach Moorhead had gotten bad and others will leave due to the new rules. Further the headline in the paper even reads to imply he may be leaving due to the tweet but never says that was confirmed that was the reason. Regardless it wasn’t the smartest thing to tweet. He has since apologized and numerous players (to include several African American players) have come out defending him. This isn’t the first ill advised tweet he has sent. He really needs to stay off Twitter.
Oh, good heaven - that was the tweet?

Until your post here kind of cleared it up I didn't see any racial overtones to it, and it was circulated on Facebook (at least where I saw it) by, well, a relatively elderly lady who in her comment cracked that here husband better watch out.

One of the problems we face is folks read way too much into things. Should he have tweeted it in today's day and age, probably not. Should lots of folks be twisted over it, no.

Reaction Score
From MS State 247 Writer:
- The players found out via the tweet on social media (he confirmed with the players)
- Lauren Ebo, and Penn State transfer, had committed to Mississippi State, and was just waiting to announce.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure a lot of people are aware of Mississippi State or it's location. They have always been the poor sister to the University of Mississippi. The weather is terrible, humid and hot and they are basically surrounded by a swamp. The fact that he built the program he did at Mississippi State is amazing. At Texas he will be so far ahead of the curve that aside from leaving players you have recruited there is no downside. I give him two to three years and Baylor will no longer be top dog in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom