Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes and no. Vic is new to the University of TX, but he has been a fixture in TX HS recruiting going all the way back to his assistant coaching days at A&M. TX HS coaches know him and probably like him. As for his team of assistants, Vic will probably bring along several from Starkville to hit the ground running.
My neighbor's daughter in the Dallas area played for a high level AAU team and I typically watched a number of games each year. Never saw Vic or one of his assistants. McCowan the only TX player I remember the past 3 years on Miss. St. Virtually every major tournament had one or more from Baylor and A&M (and yes, we saw Geno and/or Lister at several). I'm neutral on Vic's ability to cherry pick in Texas - more local knowledge than some but has less current contacts than many national powers.

Reaction Score
My neighbor's daughter in the Dallas area played for a high level AAU team and I typically watched a number of games each year. Never saw Vic or one of his assistants. McCowan the only TX player I remember the past 3 years on Miss. St. Virtually every major tournament had one or more from Baylor and A&M (and yes, we saw Geno and/or Lister at several). I'm neutral on Vic's ability to cherry pick in Texas - more local knowledge than some but has less current contacts than many national powers.
He hasn’t landed much in Texas. I think maybe in some of his earlier years he had a few Texans who weren’t ranked quite as high? He landed DeYona’ Gaston in 2020, who was probably the third or fourth best in the class behind Andrews and Gusters. He recruited Andrews heavily at the end, but I think she was Baylor bound by then.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That may be. Vic certainly demonstrated that he can recruit on a national basis at a school with nowhere near the reputation or built in advantages of TX. I give him a year or so to begin going toe to toe with Kim and everyone else, both within the lone star state as well as nationally for top recruits.

Reaction Score
That may be. Vic certainly demonstrated that he can recruit on a national basis at a school with nowhere near the reputation or built in advantages of TX. I give him a year or so to begin going toe to toe with Kim and everyone else, both within the lone star state as well as nationally for top recruits.
I think his class this coming fall will be loaded. He has every advantage now. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t end up with a grad transfer this spring like D Slocum or that level.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You perhaps should do a bit more research on Mississippi and its history of lynching black men before you make commentary about not seeing any "racial overtones" in this.... As a primer for you,, I recommend listening to Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit".....
I didn't make myself clear. The tweet and meme is going to be offensive to many persons, because the noose is associated with lynching of black men as you note. And I too find the tweet - given from whence it came and the area where it was circulated very bad judgment and correctly seen as offensive to some.

However, I cannot say that the meme itself is racist. Just as I find some TV humorists extremely offensive that other folks have no problem with, it is perfectly ok for folks to find it offensive. But the meme itself has absolutely nothing to do with race - black folks are far from the only folks hanged with a noose, in fact I just saw 2 pictures of folks hanging in a history book on the "American West" I am reading - both criminals, one lynched, the other hanged by trial, (in fact, that is the context I thought of when I saw it) but that really has nothing to do with the "joke".

To your issue with me about racial overtones, I'll restate - the tweet and tweeting, yes. The meme, which I saw on a facebook post by an older lady joking about her husband - no, I do not see racial overtones in the meme itself. I DO recognize that many folks will.

Reaction Score
He clarified tonight that Coach Schaefer told them before he left and before the social media post.

I notice Blair went to social media with this since many called them out but this is not what I have heard from multiple sources including a family member with a current player. It appears they are trying to save face right now.

Reaction Score
I notice Blair went to social media with this since many called them out but this is not what I have heard from multiple sources including a family member with a current player. It appears they are trying to save face right now.
Who knows. However if MSU makes a great hire everything should settle down.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA were to allow a no-sit one-time transfer we could see cases of coaches leaving and taking 2 or 3 key players with them. That should stir up the message boards.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He clarified tonight that Coach Schaefer told them before he left and before the social media post.
Did he clarify this on the 247 site or in social media?

Reaction Score
If the NCAA were to allow a no-sit one-time transfer we could see cases of coaches leaving and taking 2 or 3 key players with them. That should stir up the message boards.
Well hang on to your hat because it's coming for the 2021-22 season.

Reaction Score
Did he clarify this on the 247 site or in social media?
I normally don’t post the pay items but it was to clarify an earlier statement attributed to the 24/7 writer. That said the original statement about the players finding out via social media then the clarification were on the 24/7 site. If it was also on social media I’m not aware.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I normally don’t post the pay items but it was to clarify an earlier statement attributed to the 24/7 writer. That said the original statement about the players finding out via social media then the clarification were on the 24/7 site. If it was also on social media I’m not aware.
Okay, thanks for that.

Frankly, I've seen multiple situations where family members just don't get the info quite right. Wouldn't be the first time. I'm glad Robbie Faulk had the integrity to step up and correct the record.

Reaction Score
Okay, thanks for that.

I'm more inclined to believe the public clarification by journalist Robbie Faulk, as opposed to whispered rumors that no one has put their name to.
Yes it was Robbie. Rickea also just said on social media the players knew about an hour before the post.

Reaction Score
I didn't make myself clear. The tweet and meme is going to be offensive to many persons, because the noose is associated with lynching of black men as you note. And I too find the tweet - given from whence it came and the area where it was circulated very bad judgment and correctly seen as offensive to some.

However, I cannot say that the meme itself is racist. Just as I find some TV humorists extremely offensive that other folks have no problem with, it is perfectly ok for folks to find it offensive. But the meme itself has absolutely nothing to do with race - black folks are far from the only folks hanged with a noose, in fact I just saw 2 pictures of folks hanging in a history book on the "American West" I am reading - both criminals, one lynched, the other hanged by trial, (in fact, that is the context I thought of when I saw it) but that really has nothing to do with the "joke".

To your issue with me about racial overtones, I'll restate - the tweet and tweeting, yes. The meme, which I saw on a facebook post by an older lady joking about her husband - no, I do not see racial overtones in the meme itself. I DO recognize that many folks will.
I can appreciate your explanation as to the noose having an interpretative quality to it, depending on where you live and past experiences. True enough, out West here, when we see a noose, most people normally associate a noose and lynching with cattle rustlers and horse thieves of the Old West era. However, if you are in the middle of Mississippi the state which had more lynching's of black men than any, and you are a leader of an organization that is predominantly black, I can tell you, your attempt at humor that features a noose in it, ain't gonna go over vey well in Mississippi....

I ask you, even though the swastika was once a religious symbol used by Hindus and Buddhists and in this way perhaps has an interpretative quality to it, would anyone think it appropriate to use the swastika in a tweet meant to convey humor in a predominantly Jewish community? I think not....

Reaction Score
I am guessing Miss St tries to sway Walz, if not it comes down to Harris or McCray.

I just have a difficult time seeing why Walz would leave his current gig when he has almost everything. Unless he is getting a significant raise, what incentive does he have to leave? Jeff is a Kentucky guy,

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am guessing Miss St tries to sway Walz, if not it comes down to Harris or McCray.

I just have a difficult time seeing why Walz would leave his current gig when he has almost everything. Unless he is getting a significant raise, what incentive does he have to leave? Jeff is a Kentucky guy,

2 mil a year which I think is a massive raise from where he is at. As of 2018 he was at 1.15m. Mississippi State's roster is also young and loaded, although he has a very good roster projected for the next few years too. My guess is he stays or leverages this to get a better salary. He's built a good thing at Louisville and Louisville is going to be easier to recruit to as well.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yes. Cohen's message reads loud and clear to me that he is determined to find the successor to continue Vic's run. At the expense of the budget.

And yes... 2 million is what's being rumored on our boards that Cohen is offering for someone of Walz's caliber, and possibly a bonus to that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That SEC Money is something else...... they definitely make it rain down there.

Reaction Score
2 mil a year which I think is a massive raise from where he is at. As of 2018 he was at 1.15m. Mississippi State's roster is also young and loaded, although he has a very good roster projected for the next few years too. My guess is he stays or leverages this to get a better salary. He's built a good thing at Louisville and Louisville is going to be easier to recruit to as well.

We haven't seen a tweet out of him yet! Not like we saw from Matthew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom