Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
He isn't a bad coach but is not what MSU is looking for if they want to stay or continue at the level they are on. My take it they try to go after a big HC on the national level and if they can't get them they try to hire J. Harris. That is what I am hearing, unless Harris doesn't want the job. Harris stated she would not be opposed to being a HC if its the right situation. Considering she also basically built and recruited that entire roster in its current shape, its almost as good as it gets for her.

That's entirely my thoughts as well. If Vic was hired to bring a top 10 program here in 2011, then the standards are probably raised in 2020. That "top 10" is probably top 5 or top 3 now.

Reaction Score
Vic's kind of old to be starting over isn't he?

Did not take him that long at Mississippi State and he walks into a much better situation than he did there. He is starting over with a program that has been regularly making the NCAA tournament for the last 6 years and often making a sweet sixteen. He is starting over with a roster that loses 4 of its top 6 players but returns Charlie Collier and Celeste Taylor, both of whom have indicated they are staying at Texas. This is not a Goestenkors situation. Schaefer already knows how to recruit Texas and I expect is better prepared to navigate UT culture. I am expecting swift success.

Reaction Score
Only reason people are saying Matthew Mitchell is because he is an MSU alum and grew up about 30 miles from campus. I honestly think he'd be a great fit, but it's a moot point since he's already tweeted out that he's not leaving Kentucky.

Reaction Score
"Schaefer Center"?

They do have serious facilities in Austin. I was at a UConn game at The Drum (Erwin Center, the old arena which is being replaced) 2-3 years ago with Philster and DannyKUconn. Danny was chatting with an usher (about why his camera should be allowed inside - heh heh) and mentioned how beautiful the Texas arena was, and how superior to Gampel it was (sad, but true). He was told that they were building a new arena to replace this outdated, antiquated facility. Danny began negotiating for them to give the old arena to UConn.
The Erwin Center (also known as The Drum) is over 40 years old and looks all of it on both the inside and outside.
@Plebe was at this game too. I think you had just moved to Austin a couple days before. ?? Snow storm later that night delayed everyone's flights out the next day.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
@Plebe was at this game too. I think you had just moved to Austin a couple days before. ?? Snow storm later that night delayed everyone's flights out the next day.
Oh yeah, that's right. More like an ice storm. My workplace shut down and I got an extra day off, right after MLK Day. Austin doesn't deal with ice very well :)

Reaction Score

Aston was not a very good coach but its not quite the rebuild like it was at Miss St, where it was a historic bottom dweller SEC program and trying to recruit in Starkville.

It will be much easier to recruit kids to Texas, Austin is easier to sell, academics, facilities.

It may take him 2 or 3 years but it will be much easier to turn that around then what he did down at MSU.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Walz has a $500K car allowance??? Wow - that'll support a hell of a car! At one point I had a $700/month car allowance, and I thought I was hot s***. What kind of car do you drive for $500K?

:oops: I read too many things today. I looked again to double check. Now I'm seeing $500/month. Don't believe everything you read on a message board. My bad.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Its been quite a while since my one visit - Jody was still the coach - Rutgers played there on January 2nd (I think) one year. We spent New Years Eve in San Antonio and the fund raising arm of Rutgers had a nice get together for fans in Austin on the 1st. In any case, older it might have been, but the inside was still a nice place to watch a game. Amenities, I don't remember. The outside, which I have seen often visiting my family in the Austin area, was boring, of course.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah it looked like an oil storage tank that's been stucco'd over & painted. Not even orange...

View attachment 52735

I wasn't in Austin for very long, but two things I wanted to see.... The Drum.... and 6th street.

I guess that was considered great architecture back in the late 70s :eek:

Had an Off-season thread idea about this kinda stuff back in 2016.... maybe I'll get around to it in the next few months. I tend to procrastinate.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State was willing to match/exceed what Texas offered.

I am not talking salary, I am talking how much money they spend on their programs. Facilities, recruiting budgets, assistant coaching budgets, etc.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well before UCONN hired a high quality coach they had 1 winning season in their history, whereas we were making the tournament before I’d even heard of Vic. Is that because Starkville, MS was easier to get talent to than it was to get it to Storrs, CT, before we each hired quality coaches? I’m just using your logic to raise a counter question.
I believe PoppaBear is a Baylor fan.

Reaction Score
I guess it's now obvious that Vic's plan was always to go back to Texas. He was just waiting for his opportunity. I can't fault him for that. Home is home. I'm very surprised at the timing, but it just confirms that he was getting back to Texas the first chance he got. He basically built a national powerhouse, assembled the most talent he's had, and then set fire to it. I have whiplash from all of this.

I really feel for our players though. They seem genuinely blindsided like the fans. That's got to be extremely tough and confusing for them. I'm sure they're extremely hurt right now. I'm sure some will transfer, and I don't blame them. I wish all of them success with whatever happens.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Let's be real folks. If Vic wasn't from Texas and had his parents living in Texas, he wouldn't have left for the Texas job. Yes, Texas had to give him a raise to make the move, but this really wasn't about MSU not willing to pay him his worth. Texas was fortunate this worked out, and so quickly.
I was reading on another board that the deal was finalized before the announcement on Aston. According to the other poster Texas knew they had Vic in hand before telling Aston

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Well before UCONN hired a high quality coach they had 1 winning season in their history, whereas we were making the tournament before I’d even heard of Vic. Is that because Starkville, MS was easier to get talent to than it was to get it to Storrs, CT, before we each hired quality coaches? I’m just using your logic to raise a counter question.
You Never heard of Starkville MS. It's a great and beautiful town I know of my college days that it is full of, how can I say this, attractive residents. And I believe it is where Johnny Cash was arrested for picking flowers.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
He won't be starting over. He has a coaching staff in place (assuming they come with him),prospects lined up, and transfers coming. It will be one of the fastest assents up the top 25 we have witnessed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that this deal was done several days ago. Aston is canned 2 days ago and Vic is hired today. I got to believe the TX AD knew he had a deal with Vic before he decided not to renew Aston’s contract.

When you add in the current situation relative to travel and face to face meetings, I seriously doubt if there was much of an interview process involved in the hiring.

And the timing is really insulting to Aston
They couldn't have waited a few days just for appearances?

So obvious.... while she was still officially engaged (or perhaps a day or two afterwards)...they were obviously finalizing his agreement behind her back.

Aston is not one of not one of my fav coaches.
But to treat her in such a disrespectful manner is unnecessarily cruel.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I was reading on another board that the deal was finalized before the announcement on Aston. According to the other poster Texas knew they had Vic in hand before telling Aston
That makes sense. I've never seen Texas move so fast in a coaching hire.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That makes sense. I've never seen Texas move so fast in a coaching hire.
Assuming that the AD had already made the decision not to retain Aston, he would have been foolish not to get his ducks in a row before announcing his decision to let her go. In a sense, the fact that Aston’s contract was up at the end of this season, coming on the heels of a disappointing 19-11 season, provided the TX AD with a large window of opportunity to line up the best available coach.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And the timing is really insulting to Aston
They couldn't have waited a few days just for appearances?

So obvious.... while she was still officially engaged (or perhaps a day or two afterwards)...they were obviously finalizing his agreement behind her back.

Aston is not one of not one of my fav coaches.
But to treat her in such a disrespectful manner is unnecessarily cruel.
Insulting how? she knew she was done there when Texas declined contact negotiations to extend her term as head coach. I’d be shocked if she weren’t aware she was on the hot seat before the season began. She may even have known about Schaefer as it appears she didn’t protest or make a big stink.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Assuming that the AD had already made the decision not to retain Aston, he would have been foolish not to get his ducks in a row before announcing his decision to let her go. In a sense, the fact that Aston’s contract was up at the end of this season, coming on the heels of a disappointing 19-11 season, provided the TX AD with a large window of opportunity to line up the best available coach.
It actually seems that Karen's fate was already decided several months ago; I linked the below article a couple of days ago:

This part is actually very harsh, but I guess it is accurate:

The announcement that Texas was moving on from Aston was no surprise, however bad the optics.

For all practical purposes, she was fired a year ago.

Del Conte and the Texas administration effectively made the decision to change directions a year ago when they let Aston enter what would be her final season here with but a single year left on her contract.

Such policy rarely happens in big-time sports unless the bosses have already lost confidence in the coach, and this was the case here.

Aston’s final-year agreement expires in August. In letting her contract lapse, Texas basically fired her a year ago, barring a major turnaround in the fortunes of a basketball program that had moments of big success but had faltered of late, especially in recruiting, and had fallen far distant of powerhouse Baylor. Del Conte clearly saw the lack of progress and moved on.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Insulting how? she knew she was done there when Texas declined contact negotiations to extend her term as head coach. I’d be shocked if she weren’t aware she was on the hot seat before the season began. She may even have known about Schaefer as it appears she didn’t protest or make a big stink.
Honestly, I can't believe Karen (or her agent, if she has one) allowed her contract to get beyond having 2 years remaining at any time. At that point, I would have demanded a 2-3 year extension based on my most recent job performance (4 consecutive Sweet 16's), or started looking elsewhere.

From a negotiating perspective, she lost all leverage continuing to allow her employment years/months to dwindle with no commitment from her boss(es). And, with her last two seasons being her worst (since her initial year at Texas), she did not make a strong case to get an extension. It's unfortunate for her that it turned out that way; but, Chris Del Conte played it smarter IMO.

Maybe Karen was a casualty of the transition in ADs between Plonsky and Chris Del Conte. From his perspective, he played it perfectly (other than not moving a week or two faster for our liking in officially announcing she was not being extended). He basically let her "audition" to keep her job, and she didn't produce at a high enough level

Reaction Score
He isn't a bad coach but is not what MSU is looking for if they want to stay or continue at the level they are on. My take it they try to go after a big HC on the national level and if they can't get them they try to hire J. Harris. That is what I am hearing, unless Harris doesn't want the job. Harris stated she would not be opposed to being a HC if its the right situation. Considering she also basically built and recruited that entire roster in its current shape, its almost as good as it gets for her.
Have to agree that hiring the best recruiter as Head Coach has merits. Bring in a strategy focused assistant if needed but keep the flow of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom