Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I feel for you. Larry Scott has made a lot of mistakes. The Big 12's Bob Bowlsby (former Stanford AD) isn't all that popular with a lot of folks, but I'm thankful to have him considering some of the other alternatives.
It almost seems generous to call them "mistakes". Borderline criminal mismanagement. It may be too late to undo all the damage he's done and continues to do.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It almost seems generous to call them "mistakes". Borderline criminal mismanagement. It may be too late to undo all the damage he's done and continues to do.
Well, I'm a very generous person! :cool:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Wonder if this search indicates Johnnie Harris, Vic Schaefer's long time Ass't Coach is not being considered.
She is a very serious candidate but the athletic director wants to make sure it is the best for the long term health of the program.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She is a very serious candidate but the athletic director wants to make sure it is the best for the long term health of the program.
It's always risky to promote an assistant coach to become the new head coach. But, a lot of schools go that route for different reasons.

Reaction Score
It's always risky to promote an assistant coach to become the new head coach. But, a lot of schools go that route for different reasons.
I would follow him if I didn’t get the job as head coach.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"We are looking for a relentless recruiter, someone who understands our deep meaning of family, someone who understands the Mississippi State culture, and a hungry competitor with an elite work ethic. We want someone who knows the game inside and out and has an innovative skill set." -- John Cohen, Miss. St. AD

Per the comments immediately above this one, I think this statement is practically a boilerplate that allows Cohen andMississippi State to hire the person they want, whether it's an insider (Johnnie Harris) or someone from outside the currrent fold.

While the insider approach may help in the near-term in relation to keeping the current team together and maximizing immediate results, can that person keep the overall program on the track it had seem to gotten to following the two national championship appearances. Will be interesting to track on numerous fronts.

Reaction Score
He said it was an opportunity to go back to be near his family. Honestly I was always concerned about Texas A&M but would have figured he would not have gone to the rival school.
I wish Vic well. My take on new coach, Johnnie Harris. She is most likely choice to hold the team together. I also think she has shown the ability to be a head coach. I know we will miss Vic but hopefully with Coach Harries we can continue to be an elite program. We have the players to remain elite if we can hold them together as a team.

Reaction Score
"We are looking for a relentless recruiter, someone who understands our deep meaning of family, someone who understands the Mississippi State culture, and a hungry competitor with an elite work ethic. We want someone who knows the game inside and out and has an innovative skill set." -- John Cohen, Miss. St. AD

Per the comments immediately above this one, I think this statement is practically a boilerplate that allows Cohen andMississippi State to hire the person they want, whether it's an insider (Johnnie Harris) or someone from outside the currrent fold.

While the insider approach may help in the near-term in relation to keeping the current team together and maximizing immediate results, can that person keep the overall program on the track it had seem to gotten to following the two national championship appearances. Will be interesting to track on numerous fronts.
I wonder how many perfect BB coaches understand the MSU culture. He's not asking for much is he?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Nicely done. I'm just curious: where was this information available?

I've heard of cases where a departing head coach doesn't even meet with the team (the AD breaks the news to them). This was the case when Jeff Mittie left TCU, for example. But never a case where the team found out from an "official" announcement by another AD.

Somewhat reminiscent of our own Randy Edsall. I still haven't forgiven him for the way he handled that departure.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many perfect BB coaches understand the MSU culture. He's not asking for much is he?

You're right. He should aim low and say we want a mediocre coach who will lower our expectations back down to making the NCAA every 5 years. Heaven forbid an AD actually be aspirational. Guess wee's poe Missusipah fowlkes shud jus stay in our place.

Reaction Score
You're right. He should aim low and say we want a mediocre coach who will lower our expectations back down to making the NCAA every 5 years. Heaven forbid an AD actually be aspirational. Guess wee's poe Missusipah fowlkes shud jus stay in our place.
Key part is “understand the MSU culture”. Is it a special thing that only MSU people get? Wouldn’t that kind of limit the field?

Reaction Score
I don't think BobbyJ's comment was being disrespectful to MSU. In fact I think a requirement "understand the MSU culture" might limit your candidate pool (like Johnnie Harris-which wouldn't be a bad choice). I can't think of a SINGLE great CWBB coach that didn't create their own winning culture at the school that hired him or her, and that includes Vic. Pat, Geno, Muffet, Tara, Kim, Dawn, Brenda, and Gary Blair (who are the only active NCAA championship coaches) developed their culture at that school. I would say the best F4 coaches beyond Vic: Rueck, Graves, Walz, Neighbors, etc...all did the same

Reaction Score
It's interesting. Gail Goestenkors says she wants to get back into coaching and this spot opens up. Seems to align perfectly with her desires.

Obviously she was elite at Duke, but the magic wore off the day the moment she stepped into the 40 Acres. I'd still have her in my top 5 easily though for a replacement.

Oh, dear. I can't see GG and Mississippi State matching up at all. If Gail shows up as a head coach again, I would expect it to be at a smaller, high academic college or university rather than a Big State U.

Reaction Score
Key part is “understand the MSU culture”. Is it a special thing that only MSU people get? Wouldn’t that kind of limit the field?

Yes. Most people on the outside don't understand how truly special it can be. You're right it may limit the field, but some people who don't understand it may be intrigued by it once they're up close and personal with it. Gonna be hard to find another Vic.

And disregard my snark earlier. It's in my DNA, but this doggone cabin fever has me snappish.

Reaction Score
Do any of you think Nell Fortner might leave Georgia Tech for Mississippi State? She has a lot of ties to Mississippi.

Reaction Score
Do any of you think Nell Fortner might leave Georgia Tech for Mississippi State? She has a lot of ties to Mississippi.
I wouldn’t mind it and I love what she’s done at GT but I don’t think she’s gonna be the coach that can keep those players or to keep the recruits coming.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yeah... if Cohen wants someone who understands MSU culture, he's looking at a sample size of candidates equal to one.... and that's Johnnie Harris.

Still.... MSU has contacted Walz, so we'll see what he says. Goestenkors is the only other elite or formerly elite candidate out there, imo. Outside of those 2, I can't see anyone being better than Harris. Megan Duffy is young, but she is similarly inexperienced.

Reaction Score
Yeah... if Cohen wants someone who understands MSU culture, he's looking at a sample size of candidates equal to one.... and that's Johnnie Harris.

Still.... MSU has contacted Walz, so we'll see what he says. Goestenkors is the only other elite or formerly elite candidate out there, imo. Outside of those 2, I can't see anyone being better than Harris. Megan Duffy is young, but she is similarly inexperienced.
I’m concerned with GG as she has been out of coaching for a while. I’ve also heard she didn’t do the work she needed in recruiting. Outside of her being a career assistant someone mentioned she was good cop to Coach Schaefer’s bad cop. That often doesn’t translate to being a good head coach of the same team.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I’m concerned with GG as she has been out of coaching for a while. I’ve also heard she didn’t do the work she needed in recruiting. Outside of her being a career assistant someone mentioned she was good cop to Coach Schaefer’s bad cop. That often doesn’t translate to being a good head coach of the same team.

There's questions with every coach right now. But let's be realistic.

Jeff probably isn't gonna take the job.

Gail has built a resume long enough to where you can easily critique her shortcomings at certain periods of time, but I still feel better with her than Mitchell

Mitchell is just not good enough for the level of play we're trying to obtain for the longterm.

Harris is a very logical choice, but we don't know if she can man the ship by herself now that all her help is gone.

And anybody else just seems either too obscure or inexperienced.....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think GG would be a high risk hire for Mississippi State. You gotta get a sure thing in there if they're keeping all of those players. I'd love to see GG coaching again but Mississippi State is such a hot program right now that I wouldn't risk it with her. I'd target Walz, Graves, Semrau, Close, or Rueck if any will bite.

And if that's the case with Harris about being good cop, she might be best suited to follow Vic and work their magic in Austin rather than be a head coach. A lot of greats need a nicer assistant to buffer and balance out the staff. CD balances out Geno, Demoss/Holly to Pat, Niele to Muffet, etc. I mean even though Holly was an awful head coach, she sure as heck could recruit and her players really liked her. I dont doubt that Harris would make a better head coach than Holly, but it is a completely role with drastically different demands and being a great assistant doesnt translate to being a great head coach.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I think GG would be a high risk hire for Mississippi State. You gotta get a sure thing in there if they're keeping all of those players. I'd love to see GG coaching again but Mississippi State is such a hot program right now that I wouldn't risk it with her. I'd target Walz, Graves, Semrau, Close, or Rueck if any will bite.

Don't think any of those 5 will bite, and MSU probably plans on contacting only 2 of those. Walz has already been contacted.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I take it you Miss State fans don't approve of my suggestion

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member