Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
No reason to give up at all. Listen, Vic was a complete unknown when you hired him. His background wasn't super impressive. He made some very good hires and allowed two really good recruits (Vivians and McCowan) help transform that program into what it is today. The success and brand built the last few years have lead to a massive influx of talent. The fan base has grown exponentially. They still have tools and attributes to attract and field good teams, not saying it will be easy moving forward but not all is completely lost.

MSU still has a lot of talent. Like I said if they make a good hire, they can still be pretty good moving forward. If J. Harris wants the job give it to her. Let her make some good hires.

Maybe I'm getting caught up with the Pat Summit/Holly Warlick thing a little too much. It is a sample size of only one after all. I've just never seen an assistant do better than the actual head coach, apart from you know... Vic Schaefer himself.

Reaction Score
I was looking at the MSU players twitter, many of them seem to be positive. Seems the current squad has a really cohesive team. I don't know what that means for the future though.

Interesting quote from J. Harris that I saw online

“I don’t want to be a head coach just to be a head coach,” she said. “I want to walk into a good situation that’s supportive like this one is where I know I’ll have everything I need to win at this level.”

Reaction Score
Well with MSU down, SC will own the SEC. It will be like the Big 12 is with Baylor. We will see how quickly Vic can get Texas to compete with the Bears.

I'd have rather he stayed for no reason other than I'm already tired of the weak SEC talk.

Also, miss state has been a rival and losing that would make things less interesting.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Congrats to Texas but my heart honestly breaks for the MSU fans.

As much as Vic and his teams were a thorn in our side, it was definitely fun and he will be missed in the SEC. Hopefully State can make a big hire.

As you know... I have no love for the SEC in general... but I have much respect for Schaefer and the job he did building up a power in a hard place to recruit. Wanted them to win so badly in 2018.... :( but alas it wasnt meant to be. I have enjoyed the MSU vs SC games the past few years.... they were must watch TV

Reaction Score
WTH!!!!!! Oh my! Oh he’s about to turn that program around. Let’s see how Charlie Collier looks now. I wouldn’t be surprised if his players did transfer that they follow him to Texas! Woah! Wow! Stunned! Watch out Kim, a REAL coach is on the way. It’s gonna be funny seeing the handshake line between to the two! Lol ...I don’t know who to feel about this one...the notifications from Lachina Robinson’s Twitter always give me such excitement or fright. Wow!

Reaction Score
I know those girls were really hurt in that locker room when he made the announcement to them. Everybody loves him!

Reaction Score
I know those girls were really hurt in that locker room when he made the announcement to them. Everybody loves him!

Did this happen? The word on the street is that they found out from the tweet from the UT AD.

Reaction Score
Did this happen? The word on the street is that they found out from the tweet from the UT AD.
oops. My bad. I thought because he’s such a great guy, he had already told them. I also saw a tweet from MISS at AD saying they were already starting a search so it comes off to me that they already knew because I’ve never seen it happen this quick. A hire two days after a fire.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The street? Which street did you hear this on?

Reaction Score
The players heard rumors the day before on social media. Vic did a teleconference with the team earlier today and confirmed and told the players he is taking the job. The AD then had a group call with the team to answer questions and update them on the next steps

Reaction Score
The players heard rumors the day before on social media. Vic did a teleconference with the team earlier today and confirmed and told the players he is taking the job. The AD then had a group call with the team to answer questions and update them on the next steps

Thanks for the info!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nicely done. I'm just curious: where was this information available?

I've heard of cases where a departing head coach doesn't even meet with the team (the AD breaks the news to them). This was the case when Jeff Mittie left TCU, for example. But never a case where the team found out from an "official" announcement by another AD.

Reaction Score
Well, sorry MSU fans. This seems like a good hire for Texas. I had to google him, for some reason he seems older than 59 to me. Should have some good years left but not real long term.

Looks much older than 59, maybe had a few years of hard living or just ages badly. Regardless I think its a good hire for Texas.

Reaction Score
LOL

Can't believe we hired an Aggie (who is an awesome coach). Probably cost us $2 million a year.

I'm sick to my stomach. MSU supposedly countered what Texas offered (around $2 million) and UT upped it again. I'm going to have to stay away from tall buildings and bridges for awhile. SICK.

Reaction Score
Nicely done. I'm just curious: where was this information available?

I've heard of cases where a departing head coach doesn't even meet with the team (the AD breaks the news to them). This was the case when Jeff Mittie left TCU, for example. But never a case where the team found out from an "official" announcement by another AD.

A good friend of mine works in the athletic department at MSU. The kids originally found out via social media. Vic did talk with them about the decision in the call earlier today. After, the AD talked about what the next steps were including a coaching search. I don't expect any attrition until a new hire is made. It depends on who they hire on status of some of the players.

The good news for MSU fans is the program currently is in great shape for anyone to take over. It all comes down to getting the right guy/ or woman. Next years starting rotation looked like Taylor, Matharu, Rickea, Cooks and Carter, all are juniors or sophomores. With a great incoming freshmen class.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
A good friend of mine works in the athletic department at MSU. The kids originally found out via social media. Vic did talk with them about the decision in the call earlier today. After, the AD talked about what the next steps were including a coaching search. I don't expect any attrition until a new hire is made. It depends on who they hire on status of some of the players.

The good news for MSU fans is the program currently is in great shape for anyone to take over. It all comes down to getting the right guy/ or woman.

That good shape could become bad shape just like that.

Reaction Score
That would have been the case if he would have stayed. Maybe Tennessee will rise up again.
I’m looking at Arkansas as the next in conference challenge if he can bring some front court talent to add to the behind the arc play. And I won’t be shocked to see Coach Yo eventually bring up Ole Miss in a few seasons. Vic leaving no doubt helps within the state.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That would have been the case if he would have stayed. Maybe Tennessee will rise up again.

Not at all the case. SC was the favorite going forward but Mississippi State definitely appeared to be formidable competition for SEC crowns in coming seasons. Both were likely title contenders for several years with really good young rosters. Unless MSU can land a great hire and keep all players there, they likely take a back seat now. SEC might look more like how the Big 12 has looked the last several years without any peer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom