Vic Schaefer to Texas | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Reaction Score
He said it was an opportunity to go back to be near his family. Honestly I was always concerned about Texas A&M but would have figured he would not have gone to the rival school.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, sorry MSU fans. This seems like a good hire for Texas. I had to google him, for some reason he seems older than 59 to me. Should have some good years left but not real long term.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s true.

Wow, I didn’t see that coming!! :eek: Vic is a very good coach. He was in the middle of building something special in Starkville. Texas must have made him one hell of an offer, to forsake his program and his players for greener pastures.

Baylor will have some real competition in the BIG 12 now, especially in recruiting. Baylor owned the state of Texas up to now. It will take Vic a year or two to get his players in there. When he does, things will get interesting in Austin. Until then, one would imagine he’ll do some serious fishing in the transfer portal.

BTW, there was speculation about Collier leaving, I think that can be put to rest. I think everyone comes back. Vic’s new saying now will be “Go horns”.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
terry crews whoa.gif

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
LOL

Can't believe we hired an Aggie (who is an awesome coach). Probably cost us $2 million a year.
The two things that many people thought would be deal-breakers: a man and an Aggie.

The times they are a'changin'

Reaction Score
The first two names mentioned have been Associate Head Coach Johnnie Harris and Coach Matthew Mitchell from Kentucky.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow.....shocking news. Great hire for Texas. Really bummed for the Mississippi State fans. I thought he had his program all lined up to make another Final Four run in the next year or two. He should do well in Texas but he'll have his work cut out for him.

Reaction Score
Coach Harris is the main recruiter and credited for developing our post players. However she doesn’t have head coaching experience and has been an assistant coach her entire career. It has been said multiple times that it is her comfort zone. If she stays then most if not all players stay. The flip side is MSU is taking a big chance on an unproven head coach.

Matthew Mitchell grew up 20 minutes from MSU and graduated from there. He has done a very good job at Kentucky but it, like MSU, is not a historical powerhouse program. He has recently picked up recruiting at Kentucky but he still comes with questions. Further most of the current assistants probably leave if he comes and player retention is a big question.

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Hmm. Will this lead to mass transfers out of MSST?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LOL

Can't believe we hired an Aggie (who is an awesome coach). Probably cost us $2 million a year.

Yeah, but you got a good one!!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well, sorry MSU fans. This seems like a good hire for Texas. I had to google him, for some reason he seems older than 59 to me. Should have some good years left but not real long term.

Could easily be there for 15 years which is a long time in today's day and ago but not a 30+ year career at one program like a lot of the greats. Austin is going to be a lot easier to recruit to than Mississippi State, but it will likely take a few years to get going there where he was going to be in the title hunt the next few years at MSU. Big question for me is if Harris is coming with him. She's been touted as one of the better assistants in the country and has developed McCowan and Carter.

Reaction Score
I'll bet you that you will see a TON of transfers coming out of MSSU now that Vic has landed at Texas. Watch Rickeh Jackson, Myah Taylor and Jessica Carter bailing out. (maybe Chloe Bibby and AEH will bail out as well).

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, but you got a good one!!
A tremendous, but expensive one.

The most ironic thing is that Miss. State hired Vic Schaefer just a few weeks before we hired Karen Aston back in 2012. Texas has lacked the vision and tries not to hire coaches with zero head coaching experience, but we really missed the boat with Vic eight years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom