Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Sigh......I might just call it quits on my interest in the team now.

Everything comes to an end I guess. It's been a fun run, but I guess there's more pressing matters at hand now. Such as my actual real life that seemed to place 2nd in importance, but now it skyrockets to first.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A tremendous, but expensive one.

The most ironic thing is that Miss. State hired Vic Schaefer just a few weeks before we hired Karen Aston back in 2012. Texas has lacked the vision and tries not to hire coaches with zero head coaching experience, but we really missed the boat with Vic eight years ago.
Besides the fact that hiring a man for the job eight years ago probably was off the table.

Reaction Score
Texas has loaded up on the women's sports. Hiring Mike White in softball and now Vic.

LSU sports are interesting, we are pretty good at most women sports outside of WBB, soccer and normal volleyball. Softball, gymnastics, beach volleyball and track are all top 10.

Plebe

Reaction Score
He could have left when they hired Schaefer. Kentucky is a far better job.
Did MSU offer him at that time?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Besides the fact that hiring a man for the job eight years ago probably was off the table.
Sadly, yes. Texas still had separate athletic departments, and Chris Plonsky (female) was in charge of the women's side; she hired nothing but females, give or take a couple males (like volleyball head coach Jerritt Elliott). In Plonsky's defense, before Texas consolidated athletic programs under new AD Chris Del Conte two years ago, she hired male head coaches for rowing, golf, and tennis (who she stole from A&M). They have been huge successes. Her female hires in soccer and basketball (twice) didn't pan out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A tremendous, but expensive one.

The most ironic thing is that Miss. State hired Vic Schaefer just a few weeks before we hired Karen Aston back in 2012. Texas has lacked the vision and tries not to hire coaches with zero head coaching experience, but we really missed the boat with Vic eight years ago.
In fairness Coach Schaefer was an unproven coach at the highest level. Further as a head coach at Sam Houston State he had a losing record six out of seven years. MSU took a chance and it paid off. I don’t fault Texas for not offering him.

Reaction Score
Everything comes to an end I guess. It's been a fun run, but I guess there's more pressing matters at hand now. Such as my actual real life that seemed to place 2nd in importance, but now it skyrockets to first.

This is a major blow for MSU, no way around it. Depending on who MSU hires, and retaining key components of the roster, they could still be really good but it comes down to who they hire.

If MSU wants to attempt to continue to be a national power, Matthew Mitchell would not be an option for me IMO. MSU would have to spend some money on a good coach or find a diamond in the rough.

Johnnie Harris is likely the first person to be called. Her recruiting and post player management has been one of the big reasons for MSU's success along with Vic.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmm. Will this lead to mass transfers out of MSST?

I really hope not.... I guess Little Carolina has the SEC on lock for as long as Staley is there.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
This is a major blow for MSU, no way around it. Depending on who MSU hires, and retaining key components of the roster, they could still be really good but it comes down to who they hire.

If MSU wants to attempt to continue to be a national power, Matthew Mitchell would not be an option for me IMO. MSU would have to spend some money on a good coach or find a diamond in the rough.

How likely is it that we can find 2 diamonds in a rough in a row though?

I think the consensus is that Johnnie Harris be our coach - and she does return a great team. But still, we've rarely seen a disciple ascend and keep a team as strong as the coach that left it in the women's game (the men a different story though). But then, Pat Summit is a sample size of one I guess, looking at it that way.

Reaction Score
How likely is it that we can find 2 diamonds in a rough in a row though?

I think the consensus is that Johnnie Harris be our coach - and she does return a great team. But still, we've rarely seen a disciple ascend and keep a team as strong as the coach that left it in the women's game (the men a different story though). But then, Pat Summit is a sample size of one I guess, looking at it that way.

J. Harris was a big reason some of the highly rated recruits came to MSU. I don't know how it will end if she is the eventual HC but it makes the most sense. She is one of the best post player coaches in the country, she is well respected and liked, recruits extremely well. Again, no matter who you pick it will be a gamble. On paper it makes the most sense IMO.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll bet you that you will see a TON of transfers coming out of MSSU now that Vic has landed at Texas. Watch Rickeh Jackson, Myah Taylor and Jessica Carter bailing out. (maybe Chloe Bibby and AEH will bail out as well).

That would not surprise me. Vic’s girls loved playing for him. :) I’ll be following Texas a little closer from now on. Hopefully Gino will make Texas a regular on his OOC schedule in the coming years. It would be good for both programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Nobody like front runner fans true blue

Plebe

Reaction Score
J. Harris was a big reason some of the highly rated recruits came to MSU. I don't know how it will end if she is the eventual HC but it makes the most sense. She is one of the best post player coaches in the country, she is well respected and liked, recruits extremely well. Again, no matter who you pick it will be a gamble.
I have mad respect for Harris, and IMO the job should be hers for the taking. She may elect to go with Vic to Austin (surely Vic will want to take her along), but she should have right of first refusal.

Reaction Score
AEH and Cooks have already transferred, so they are likely to stick, right?

Reaction Score
Texas had to ask permission to talk to him didn’t they? May be they said you can’t take Harris with you if you leave

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

comeondawg.jpg

Dont be that kinda fan.....

Reaction Score
Well with MSU down, SC will own the SEC. It will be like the Big 12 is with Baylor. We will see how quickly Vic can get Texas to compete with the Bears.

Reaction Score
Well with MSU down, SC will own the SEC. It will be like the Big 12 is with Baylor. We will see how quickly Vic can get Texas to compete with the Bears.

SEC has too many average coaches currently. There will be some turnover over the next two years.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Congrats to Texas but my heart honestly breaks for the MSU fans.

As much as Vic and his teams were a thorn in our side, it was definitely fun and he will be missed in the SEC. Hopefully State can make a big hire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No reason to give up at all. Listen, Vic was a complete unknown when you hired him. His background wasn't super impressive. He made some very good hires and allowed two really good recruits (Vivians and McCowan) help transform that program into what it is today. The success and brand built the last few years have lead to a massive influx of talent. The fan base has grown exponentially. They still have tools and attributes to attract and field good teams, not saying it will be easy moving forward but not all is completely lost.

MSU still has a lot of talent. Like I said if they make a good hire, they can still be pretty good moving forward. If J. Harris wants the job give it to her. Let her make some good hires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom