Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

Reaction Score
I would expect Walz to be high on MSU's list but who knows.

Hmmm........very interesting. I would say it's Waltz. Honestly I am hoping Johnnie Harris gets a shot but who knows.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If Walz goes to MSU, I think Hailey Van Lith goes back on the market.

Reaction Score
I didn’t realize that Coach Walz’s wife was from a small town in Missouri. I always thought she was from Kentucky too. That would be a great hire. Maybe we can negotiate for him to bring Dana Evans with him.

Reaction Score
When I think about Muffet living in Starkvegas...

That's pretty funny. The point was raised about the MSU culture by Cohen and while all schools are unique in their own ways with their own traditions, a coach, students, faculty and staff have to want to be in Starkville and accept it is what it is.

I will be the first to admit the area isn't exactly a hotbed of activity but I decided to major in engineering and no way my family was going to pay out of state tuition somewhere so I pretty much decided on them by default. However, once I visited the campus and talked to the people, I knew it was where I needed to be.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I'm with you -- why not stay in Pac-12? OSU will need guards...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
That's pretty funny. The point was raised about the MSU culture by Cohen and while all schools are unique in their own ways with their own traditions, a coach, students, faculty and staff have to want to be in Starkville and accept it is what it is.

I will be the first to admit the area isn't exactly a hotbed of activity but I decided to major in engineering and no way my family was going to pay out of state tuition somewhere so I pretty much decided on them by default. However, once I visited the campus and talked to the people, I knew it was where I needed to be.

My comment was less about Starkville and more about Muffet — not her people, not her culture, not her place.

I dated a guy for a while who lived in Tupelo, so I’ve spent more time than most in the neighborhood. I think you have to have a certain mindset to find happiness in the Deep South, and I just don’t think a career Yankee like her has it.

Reaction Score
My comment was less about Starkville and more about Muffet — not her people, not her culture, not her place.

I dated a guy for a while who lived in Tupelo, so I’ve spent more time than most in the neighborhood. I think you have to have a certain mindset to find happiness in the Deep South, and I just don’t think a career Yankee like her has it.
I agree and that is how I took your earlier comment. I’m from a small town and it was great to be able to get anywhere in a matter of minutes. My wife is from a midsize city and that is where we live now. I’m used to it now but love it when we go back to visit my hometown. I can literally feel myself relaxing as we get closer. However my kids are early teenagers and can’t fathom what we even did every day growing up.
I also can’t imagine what it is like to go through a winter where there are constant threats of freezing temperatures and snow. Of course the same type comments can be said about our summers.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Baylor the other finalist? She choose between those two schools.
yes. I still don’t think she’d go to Baylor. Imo you go to Louisville to have free reign and Baylor is total opposite. It’s hard to tell where she’d end up because there are not a lot programs right now that will allow you to play freely like Louisville. The other was Tenn and KJH has since changed that.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
given comments that Slocum would be comfortable in a free reign school like UCLA, maybe if that's what Hailey Van Lith wants then maybe that works for her IF Slocum does NOT go there...

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I didn’t realize that Coach Walz’s wife was from a small town in Missouri. I always thought she was from Kentucky too. That would be a great hire. Maybe we can negotiate for him to bring Dana Evans with him.

Wow.... a team with Rickea, Evans, and Matharu..... that type of guard play and that type of team.... anything less than a national championship is a disappointment.

The funny thing is.... this scenario is actually kinda possible and hinges on the decision of 4 or 5 main people.

Reaction Score
I know of another ACC coach who has coached in a Final 4 who would look nice in Burgundy and White.

NELL FORTNER?? Awesome! (Oh, it's MAROON, not burgundy! :)

She had those ladies at Georgia Tech playing their tails off this year. I wouldn't mind her at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would expect Walz to be high on MSU's list but who knows.

If true and he takes the offer it will be new world in the. SEC, however I still think Coach Harris deserves the chance to see what she can do.

Reaction Score
I agree and that is how I took your earlier comment. I’m from a small town and it was great to be able to get anywhere in a matter of minutes. My wife is from a midsize city and that is where we live now. I’m used to it now but love it when we go back to visit my hometown. I can literally feel myself relaxing as we get closer. However my kids are early teenagers and can’t fathom what we even did every day growing up.
I also can’t imagine what it is like to go through a winter where there are constant threats of freezing temperatures and snow. Of course the same type comments can be said about our summers.
I also grew up in a small Mississippi town, Yazoo City. However when I went back it was like another country, I was glad to get back home! It would be hard for me to live in that environment again.

Reaction Score
Was just looking at the mid-major coaching ranks and wondered what the backstory is on Karl Smesko. Has been really good for his level at Florida Gulf Coast and remains reasonable young.

Is he a candidate for bigger jobs? Or is he one of those that likes his situation and the beach?

Reaction Score
Nikki McCray would be a very SEC hire for Miss State if they are not getting a big name.

That would be interesting story.

Reaction Score
Nikki McCray would be a very SEC hire for Miss State if they are not getting a big name.

That would be interesting story.
Our 247 guy had Nikki as the top target with head coaching experience if Walz doesn't work out.

Reaction Score
Our 247 guy had Nikki as the top target with head coaching experience if Walz doesn't work out.
If Walz does not work out I hope we go with Coach Harris. I think you risk losing some really great players if we can not hire a name coach, Walz is the obvious choice, then we need to select a coach the players know and like.

Reaction Score
Some UCONN folks think it might be Quentin Hillsman from Syracuse. He's an ACC coach who played for a national championship. Does he have any ties to the Magnolia State? I saw he coached at Alabama for a few years, but mostly a mid-coast guy.

Reaction Score
In the event neither Jeff Walz or Johnnie Harris are available I was really impressed with the lady who coached Marquette during the 2018-2019 season. She is now coaching Penn State. She really had those players working as a team. Do not remember her name but remember the way she interacted with the players, she, IMHO, would be great for the team we have.

Reaction Score
Why in the world would Walz leave Louisville for MSST? I don't think the money or the situation are in any way better than what he has.

Plus he's played this game before with TN to get a raise. Why not dance and dump again. I think Harris is the best choice...unless State screws around let's her get away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom