Vic Schaefer to Texas | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer to Texas

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Why in the world would Walz leave Louisville for MSST? I don't think the money or the situation are in any way better than what he has.

Plus he's played this game before with TN to get a raise. Why not dance and dump again. I think Harris is the best choice...unless State screws around let's her get away.

Article last year said he made 1.475 at Louisville, jumping up to 2 is significant. I go back and forth on it though, because honestly, if you're making that much money and have a good thing going at your program, I don't see throwing more money at him as a strong incentive to leave if he loves his current situation.

Reaction Score
Article last year said he made 1.475 at Louisville, jumping up to 2 is significant. I go back and forth on it though, because honestly, if you're making that much money and have a good thing going at your program, I don't see throwing more money at him as a strong incentive to leave if he loves his current situation.

He is not putting a stop to the rumors the way Matthew did. If your willing to entertain it, then your willing to go.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He is not putting a stop to the rumors the way Matthew did. If your willing to entertain it, then your willing to go.
Maybe.

Or maybe he's making a play for a raise. Stopping the rumors won't get him more money.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

Or maybe he's making a play for a raise. Stopping the rumors won't get him more money.

Even so, you have to be willing to go to play that game. You have to be willing to walk if they balk.

Reaction Score
Waltz may be playing his hand. I admit I don't really see him as a viable candidate. If he had ties or connections to the area (like Vic at Texas) I could see it but otherwise he has built a good thing a Louisville. The more I've considered it the more I think it probably wouldn't be a good match.

The current AD doesn't have the greatest track record with his coaching hires so far. I hope he doesn't allow something like this to let Harris get away if she's as good as everyone has said. Assistants don't always work out well as we know but when Vic gives his endorsement, that's good enough for me as of now.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Walz left Louisville. I just don't see the incentive. Isn't he from Kentucky? Seems weird that he would want to pack up and move to Starkville.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Walz left Louisville. I just don't see the incentive. Isn't he from Kentucky? Seems weird that he would want to pack up and move to Starkville.
Pay me 2 million a year and I'd be willing to live in a lot of places.

A raise of 600k from his current job? That's not chump change.

Reaction Score
Nikki McCray is now following all our players and AD John Cohen on Twitter. She coaches Rikea/Madison Hayes/Van Lith at the 3 on 3 world championships last year. Staley has called Cohen to reccomend her. The more video I see on her, the more impressed I am. Is it a big jump? Yes. She checks all the boxes for me though, and I think she’s a better fit than Walz for MSU. Of course, you have to take Walz if you can get him. He’s proven. I just really really like McCray.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I'm not seeing much of a difference between McCray and Harris - except Harris is already one of us. They both coached under an elite head coach for very long, and they both can recruit. The thing that should distinguish Harris is that she's already on the payroll here, and she gives us the least risk of a mass exodus.

So yeah, Harris deserves this job more than McCray to me.

Reaction Score
Nikki McCray is now following all our players and AD John Cohen on Twitter. She coaches Rikea/Madison Hayes/Van Lith at the 3 on 3 world championships last year. Staley has called Cohen to reccomend her. The more video I see on her, the more impressed I am. Is it a big jump? Yes. She checks all the boxes for me though, and I think she’s a better fit than Walz for MSU. Of course, you have to take Walz if you can get him. He’s proven. I just really really like McCray.
Everybody remember when we used to just do things like track airplanes?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing much of a difference between McCray and Harris - except Harris is already one of us. They both coached under an elite head coach for very long, and they both can recruit. The thing that should distinguish Harris is that she's already on the payroll here, and she gives us the least risk of a mass exodus.

So yeah, Harris deserves this job more than McCray to me.
I see what you mean and I don't disagree. The one thing McCray has over Harris would be evidence of successful head coaching experience, with how she turned around ODU in a short time. There's a case to be made there.

Reaction Score
I see what you mean and I don't disagree. The one thing McCray has over Harris would be evidence of successful head coaching experience, with how she turned around ODU in a short time. There's a case to be made there.
Other than the lack of head-coaching experience my biggest concern still remains that it is my understanding that Harris was the good cop to Schaefer. That is sometimes a difficult transition when you now have to be the bad cop.

Reaction Score
Everybody remember when we used to just do things like track airplanes?
Haha! I was about to add, I heard a rumor (don’t know if it’s true) that the MSU jet was in Louisville today. Cohen is going to do his due diligence on Walz, bc he’d be crazy not to. I also heard he had spoken with Cara Lawson and Niele Ivey. I know this stuff about McCray is true. The rest, Ive only heard.

Reaction Score
I totally see the point of the original poster, and I agree with you, Plebe. I think Johnnie has been known to be the “good cop” to Vic’s “bad cop” and she’s never wanted to be a head coach before. She is such a gentle personality that it’s hard to see her as a head coach, personally, although she has been foundational to the success of our program.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

Yeah. She was making Old Dominion relevant again. But I just think that's too small a sample size and it's kind of weak competition she's playing in the Conference USA. But then, maybe she sells herself well. I do think Harris appears more reserved and less blazing with her personality.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yeah. She was making Old Dominion relevant again. But I just think that's too small a sample size and it's kind of weak competition she's playing in the Conference USA. But then, maybe she sells herself well. I do think Harris appears more reserved and less blazing with her personality.
No doubt, it's a completely different type of challenge and one can debate the relevance of her HC experience. Rebuilding ODU vs. continuing/building on a national championship contending program.

Reaction Score

I always have concerns over the Summitt tree for obvious reasons. Pat's system was successful but it required that you recruit superior players. My question is can she recruit and bring in those caliber players to Miss St?

With that said, McCray has been highly successful in turning around ODU (granted small sample size) and she is highly regarded in the basketball community. Worked really close with Dawn for years helping build that program. I really like Johnnie but she would be a bigger gamble than McCray IMO. Vic was obviously a gamble when Miss St first hired him so who knows what will happen :)

Reaction Score
McCray is a native of Collierville, just inside the Tennessee state line from Mississippi. Starkville would be about 3 hours or so from her roots but no clue if she actually has family in the area or not.

It sounds as though she has done well at ODU in a short time and worked under Dawn, who really is the dean of SEC coaches now. That recommendation will go far.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
1586386096339.png

Reaction Score
Haha! I was about to add, I heard a rumor (don’t know if it’s true) that the MSU jet was in Louisville today. Cohen is going to do his due diligence on Walz, bc he’d be crazy not to. I also heard he had spoken with Cara Lawson and Niele Ivey. I know this stuff about McCray is true. The rest, Ive only heard.
I heard that rumor also. Said they were getting real serious.

Reaction Score
Okay, so Walz goes to Mississippi State. Say you're Lo-uh-ville, do you stay local and snatch Michelle Clark-Heard away from Cincinnati or go elsewhere?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I heard that rumor also. Said they were getting real serious.
Hold up here a second. I thought there were a few tweets or snippets of social media postings where Nikki McCray was following the MSU team and that MSU and Holy Cross had their coaches but no reason to announce and something about saving money. Did I misread those? Seems to me that if Walz was really in play, he would have leaked something, it's his nature...I am inclined to think they are going with McCray.

The other interesting item was that Jordan Dansbury posted a tweet and then deleted it about "when the news gets out or something" which would lead me to speculate that somethin about the MSU program was slightly amiss and maybe why Cohen did not stay in-house with Harris. Again, all speculation but I am bored at home with my full family so I need something...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Did it ever fully come out why Mitchell's team disintegrated on him a few years ago?

He's rebounded, but that was pretty significant exodus.
From what I recall was that he wasn’t as invested in the girls and the program during that period. There was a major drop off in communication.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The other interesting item was that Jordan Dansbury posted a tweet and then deleted it about "when the news gets out or something" which would lead me to speculate that somethin about the MSU program was slightly amiss and maybe why Cohen did not stay in-house with Harris. Again, all speculation but I am bored at home with my full family so I need something...:rolleyes:
Well, they were already successful in starting one false rumor about Vic (regarding the timing of his notification to them vis-a-vis the tweet from the UT AD). What's to stop them from churning out more slanders out of spite?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom