UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seton Hall is on him? Forget it, we are done! No way we can beat out a P6 powerhouse nor should we expect to. We are doing well for a team from low minor conference. No need to expect to steal a kid from a team from a far better conference. The Hall will play much better competition on TV more often than we will. It is all about getting into the league with these kids.

This is the kind of mentality that the coaching staff and this board should resist. I completely understand your point, but if we start consistently losing kids to Providence and Seton Hall, we are in serious difficulty.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
but if we start consistently losing kids to Providence and Seton Hall, we are in serious difficulty.
Head bang

IMG_6459.JPG

Reaction Score
This is the kind of mentality that the coaching staff and this board should resist. I completely understand your point, but if we start consistently losing kids to Providence and Seton Hall, we are in serious difficulty.

We have and we are............in serious difficulty........give chillious one year......if he can't recruit like he did in south kent or washington then clean house.........the calhoun era is over.....hard to digest but a new direction is probably needed.....we'll see what the next month brings but my real druthers are to clean out the deadwood now because i don't see the corner being turned

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
We aren't aspiring to be Seton Freeking Hall and there 3 NCAA wins since 1993...on FS2 constantly as opposed to UConn having 85% of our games on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. Seton Hall sends nothing to the NBA. That crappy year before Dham left, they would have had a parade.

Reaction Score
We have and we are..in serious difficulty...give chillious one year.if he can't recruit like he did in south kent or washington then clean house....the calhoun era is over.....hard to digest but a new direction is probably needed.....we'll see what the next month brings but my real druthers are to clean out the deadwood now because i don't see the corner being turned

Welcome to the Yankee Conference with this direction. There's issues no doubt but turning your back completely on the JC era would be the death of UConn as we see it. Unless of course JC comes back?:oops:

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Yankee Conference with this direction. There's issues no doubt but turning your back completely on the JC era would be the death of UConn as we see it. Unless of course JC comes back?:oops:

That thought passed in my mind........wouldn't want it at all.........but i just don't see anyone on his tree doing the job......we got lucky once maybe we could again.......the chillious hire seemed like a beacon through the darkness but some recent conversations lead me to believe that he will not be that effective in recruiting....and his coaching -teaching effectiveness is moot.....bottom line the only memberr of his tree i trust is jc

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That thought passed in my mind...wouldn't want it at all....but i just don't see anyone on his tree doing the job.we got lucky once maybe we could again..the chillious hire seemed like a beacon through the darkness but some recent conversations lead me to believe that he will not be that effective in recruiting....and his coaching -teaching effectiveness is moot.....bottom line the only memberr of his tree i trust is jc
Chillious won't be that effective at recruiting? Can't just toss that out there without some details.

Reaction Score
I know they've said we're on their list and obviously there's mutual interest because of this, but have you or anyone else seen anything about us very actively pursuing this?
The only proof we'll see of us pursuing them is being on their cut lists

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
So would we hold out hope that Tremont ends up here before allowing these 2 to sign? I know the better one is a guard, and we need some bigs still.

Part of me says get kids who want to come here and play and get them now, especially if one is a PF at least because we need bodies, but the thought of Tremont added to the backcourt stable is enticing

Reaction Score
So would we hold out hope that Tremont ends up here before allowing these 2 to sign? I know the better one is a guard, and we need some bigs still.

Part of me says get kids who want to come here and play and get them now, especially if one is a PF at least because we need bodies, but the thought of Tremont added to the backcourt stable is enticing
They have to sit a year regardless

Reaction Score

We don't have to hold out on hope for Waters.

We have 9 players on scholarship, meaning 4 available. Between all realistic 2017 targets, Waters, Daniels, Rooks, Agou, Jarreau + Gresham, we'd be lucky to get 4.

I think Daniels would deter Jarreau, though, so it's more likely that they're related rather than Waters.

Reaction Score
Recruiting pairs didn't work last time. One left after the last if nc. The other became a malcontent and left the following year. Tag team recruiting doesn't work

Reaction Score
As a Umass fan who watched most all UMass games last year I am interested to see where these two end up. Both are talented players. Jarreau is considered the better of the two and would probably have much better offers if he cut the cord from Gresham but they want to stick together for some reason. Jarreau wants to be PG and considers himself a PG but he turned the ball over way too much last season, like in one game he almost had a bizarre triple double, 17pts, 10 rebounds and 9 turnovers. Jarreau also struggles shooting the ball so he really can't play the off guard position regularly. Too often he tried to make passes like he was still in HS which lead to a lot of turnovers but as get gets older he'll learn and will get better. He needs to add some weight and develop a better outside shot but he has a high basketball IQ and didn't get rattled very often. Gresham got a late start last season due to an injury over the summer and some academic issues which caused him to miss the first 8 or so games. He is a player that would be better served staying at Umass in the A10 so he can keep playing in a conference that he could become a dominate big man. He might have a better upside than Jareau because for a big guy he has some good low post moves, can rebound well, and is a good shot blocker. I think most Umass fans would pick him over Jareau if only one could stay. The worry would be the red shirt year off may do more harm that good with him esp with academics. The rumor floating around is he actually would prefer to stay at Umass but Jarreau convinced him to leave and up until he announced he was leaving last week he was taking part in basketball meetings and practices with the new coaching staff unlike Jarreau who stayed away.

Reaction Score
Recruiting pairs didn't work last time. One left after the last if nc. The other became a malcontent and left the following year. Tag team recruiting doesn't work
They won a national championship, the worse one left, the better one left in a year we were banned from the tournament, and we won another NC two years later.

I wouldn't mind that all happening again.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Are they both worth it?
I would say so. Gresham was better than most of our freshman bigs have been in recent years, and he'll have a year to develop more. Jarreau was TO prone and is a bad shooter, but would play off ball way more and hopefully have time to work on his stroke. Less risk relative to a 50-150 ranked 2018 freshman.

Reaction Score
I would say so. Gresham was better than most of our freshman bigs have been in recent years, and he'll have a year to develop more. Jarreau was TO prone and is a bad shooter, but would play off ball way more and hopefully have time to work on his stroke. Less risk relative to a 50-150 ranked 2018 freshman.

You just took away any enthusiasm I had for these two with that write up. I would not have passed on Harrar, but this is the first time I'll say PASS post April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom