UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a Umass fan who watched most all UMass games last year I am interested to see where these two end up. Both are talented players. Jarreau is considered the better of the two and would probably have much better offers if he cut the cord from Gresham but they want to stick together for some reason. Jarreau wants to be PG and considers himself a PG but he turned the ball over way too much last season, like in one game he almost had a bizarre triple double, 17pts, 10 rebounds and 9 turnovers. Jarreau also struggles shooting the ball so he really can't play the off guard position regularly. Too often he tried to make passes like he was still in HS which lead to a lot of turnovers but as get gets older he'll learn and will get better. He needs to add some weight and develop a better outside shot but he has a high basketball IQ and didn't get rattled very often. Gresham got a late start last season due to an injury over the summer and some academic issues which caused him to miss the first 8 or so games. He is a player that would be better served staying at Umass in the A10 so he can keep playing in a conference that he could become a dominate big man. He might have a better upside than Jareau because for a big guy he has some good low post moves, can rebound well, and is a good shot blocker. I think most Umass fans would pick him over Jareau if only one could stay. The worry would be the red shirt year off may do more harm that good with him esp with academics. The rumor floating around is he actually would prefer to stay at Umass but Jarreau convinced him to leave and up until he announced he was leaving last week he was taking part in basketball meetings and practices with the new coaching staff unlike Jarreau who stayed away.

Thank you for this information.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
You just took away any enthusiasm I had for these two with that write up. I would not have passed on Harrar, but this is the first time I'll say PASS post April.
Every player has flaws, and they're louder the younger they are. What did you expect?

Reaction Score
Every player has flaws, and they're louder the younger they are. What did you expect?

Since he is of no immediate help next year, I'd rather they recruit a PG ranked #100-150 and have them bring the player along as a freshman.

Give me a Vital any day over Jarreau.

If he were available for next year, I'd be highly enthused by his coming to UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As a Umass fan who watched most all UMass games last year I am interested to see where these two end up. Both are talented players. Jarreau is considered the better of the two and would probably have much better offers if he cut the cord from Gresham but they want to stick together for some reason. Jarreau wants to be PG and considers himself a PG but he turned the ball over way too much last season, like in one game he almost had a bizarre triple double, 17pts, 10 rebounds and 9 turnovers. Jarreau also struggles shooting the ball so he really can't play the off guard position regularly. Too often he tried to make passes like he was still in HS which lead to a lot of turnovers but as get gets older he'll learn and will get better. He needs to add some weight and develop a better outside shot but he has a high basketball IQ and didn't get rattled very often. Gresham got a late start last season due to an injury over the summer and some academic issues which caused him to miss the first 8 or so games. He is a player that would be better served staying at Umass in the A10 so he can keep playing in a conference that he could become a dominate big man. He might have a better upside than Jareau because for a big guy he has some good low post moves, can rebound well, and is a good shot blocker. I think most Umass fans would pick him over Jareau if only one could stay. The worry would be the red shirt year off may do more harm that good with him esp with academics. The rumor floating around is he actually would prefer to stay at Umass but Jarreau convinced him to leave and up until he announced he was leaving last week he was taking part in basketball meetings and practices with the new coaching staff unlike Jarreau who stayed away.

Good stuff, thanks. I'd take both right now, if nothing else for decent practice bodies.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what says.

What does "we gucci" mean?
"We gucci" means "we're good" or in this instance "we're out." So any coach who won't take both has no chance so to say

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jarreau to Gresh..."We're in this thing together! Like berries on a vine we get sweeter all the time."

Reaction Score
You wanted the no-star farm boy and now you don't want these two because of that?

No star farm boy = 5 fouls

The guard here will sit for a year and not help, and then he'll clunk outside shots for another year while the #100 recruit, a PG, wonders when he'll get playing time over Gilbert/Vital/Jarreau

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Recruiting pairs didn't work last time. One left after the last if nc.
Yeah, you know natties are such a pain in the butt, what with having to dust the trophies and what not...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The guard here will sit for a year and not help, and then he'll clunk outside shots for another year while the #100 recruit, a PG, wonders when he'll get playing time over Gilbert/Vital/Jarreau

You are actually nuts.

Farm boy was never going to see the court.

Jarreau is 6'5" - he shot 45% from the field and led UMass in assists. He played point often because...did you see UMass last year? The pipsqueak freshman they brought in from Chicago who I assume they thought would be a point guard, shot 34%, chucked up seven threes a game and only managed to average 2.3 assists per game. They needed Jarreau with the ball.

Here...he's a wing.

I have no idea what you're talking about the #100 recruit. Who is that?

Reaction Score

Jarreau is a guard, Gresham is a power forward.

Reaction Score
The only reason you'd turn down these two is if your holding out hope we land a monster 4 player class in 2018. But the reality is we need not bank on homeruns. We need as many base hits as possible right now. Guys like this are the singles and doubles we need to take right now. So when its time to hit a home run(shittu, quickley) we have a strong nucleusfor them to step in to. And if we dont get a homerun then we still have a team that can compete and win games

Reaction Score
Jarreau had flashes of greatness esp in the OCC schedule. He almost single handily beat Ole Miss in their building in just his 2 or 3 game of the year last year. But he had flashes of atrocious play as well. He insisted that any college he went they made him a PG and Derrick Kellogg made that promise and he suck to that promise despite the fact it wasn't in best interest of the team esp in the send half of the year when Jarreau had games with more turnovers than assists. Kellogg isn't a great coach and was fired for a number of reasons but some felt he coddled Jarreau a little too much to make him happy. Jarreau appears to have the NBA bug so he is looking to improve his stock by transferring but sitting a year out won't help him get into the NBA.

pj

Reaction Score
Devon Daniels and Akoy Agau would be an improvement upon Jarreau and Gresham, especially since Agau could play right away and he would space classes better, we already have a crowded group in Gresham's class at PF.

That said, if we can get Jarreau and Gresham, the risk of a disaster in 2018-19 goes down tremendously. Alterique-Jarreau-Vital in the backcourt and Gresham-Diarra-Carlton-Cobb-Polley in the frontcourt -- we could field a team from that.

Reaction Score
Recruiting pairs didn't work last time. One left after the last if nc. The other became a malcontent and left the following year. Tag team recruiting doesn't work

You're drawing that conclusion from one situation that resulted in us winning a national championship? Interesting logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom