UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Jarreau was a a top 60 recruit in the 2016 class. Ran a lot of point for UMass, but is probably better off at the 2, and he is 6'5 and turnover prone, but can slash and has a knack for slithering to the rim.

Per 40, he averaged 16.1 PTS, 5.9 REB, 7.4 AST, 1.6 STL, 1.2 BLK, but 5.4 TO. So he needs to keep working on his ball control and jumper, but he can do a bit of everything and his defense and size/versatility would be great.

Gresham wasn't as highly ranked, but he's a 6'9 rim protector and rebounder. Per 40 minutes, he averaged 10.6 REB and 3.3 BLK, but also 6.9 PF to go with an abysmal FT% (albeit in a small sample there).

These kids are best friends and we're a package deal out of HS, and chose a school in the northeast. If we end up having as many open schollies as it appears we will, I really hope we go after them. They could both use a redshirt year, and already have particular strengths to bring to the table.

Edit: Can a mod edit the title? Jarreau got autocorrected by my iPhone and I didn't notice.

I don't think that any major school will be interested in a package deal

Reaction Score

You are correct. They are great friends and said they will college together when they started. Jarr passed up better offers to play with his friend.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Gresham is a three-star player, ranked like 170-ish coming out of high school.

Plenty of high-majors, including UConn, have to look at players in that range - 6'9", 220, has a year to redshirt now...why not?

Reaction Score

Plenty of high-majors, including UConn, have to look at players in that range - 6'9", 220, has a year to redshirt now...why not?
True you have a good point lot of things can happen by 2018-2019 season. I think there may be 1 or 2 players on UConn that may transfer out, all things considered worth a look.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Vital was in that range, or close to it. The key to this game is finding this type of kid. This is no comment on Gresham though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why?
With grad transfers you're constantly needing to find replacements. The odds of any player, including an experienced player, developing into a team mode improves with time. Constant players coming and going decreases the chance of players developing chemistry with one another.

The risk of going @upstater's way is that it eliminates potentially better recruits that can be gotten in 2018.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't want the reaches like Antonio Kellogg or Jamaal Trice. Taking those kids led to the tournament ban, which is part of the reason we're in this mess.

If these two kids are friends, and the weaker of the two players would be okay being a 12th man or so, great. We have 4 scholarships open, and lots of players potentially graduating or going pro after next year. I'd be perfectly happy with grabbing these kids as a hedge against pro defections. If we then got 2 more grad transfers we'd lose 3 seniors, maybe two underclassmen, and would have a bloated--but not terribly sized--sophomore class. Also, plenty of room for a talented 2018 class.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't want the reaches like Antonio Kellogg or Jamaal Trice. Taking those kids led to the tournament ban, which is part of the reason we're in this mess.

If these two kids are friends, and the weaker of the two players would be okay being a 12th man or so, great. We have 4 scholarships open, and lots of players potentially graduating or going pro after next year. I'd be perfectly happy with grabbing these kids as a hedge against pro defections. If we then got 2 more grad transfers we'd lose 3 seniors, maybe two underclassmen, and would have a bloated--but not terribly sized--sophomore class. Also, plenty of room for a talented 2018 class.
I keep thinking of AO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel when I see this thread. It worked out for NC 3 so that part of me says it's a go for these two. But then I think of the drama when those guys moved on and after the drama this past post season, I say no way. So I'm torn in half. I'd take the drama in a heartbeat if it was separated by NC5.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking of AO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel when I see this thread. It worked out for NC 3 so that part of me says it's a go for these two. But then I think of the drama when those guys moved on and after the drama this past post season, I say no way. So I'm torn in half. I'd take the drama in a heartbeat if it was separated by NC5.
I take your point. But...

On one level beggars can't be choosers, and right now we've got a roster of 9 in late April. We can't field a 5-on-5 in practice.

On another, a team that has 4 (or 5) grad transfers and 5 (or 4) freshman is a bit problematic, I think. The chemistry of integrating that many players with Gilbert, Larrier, and Diarra is going to be rough. Having players in the queue who can develop some chemistry with whoever comes back (AG, Carlton, Polley, Diarra, Vital, Cobb, maybe Larrier or Adams) isn't a bad thing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
With grad transfers you're constantly needing to find replacements. The odds of any player, including an experienced player, developing into a team mode improves with time. Constant players coming and going decreases the chance of players developing chemistry with one another.

The risk of going @upstater's way is that it eliminates potentially better recruits that can be gotten in 2018.

That is quite a talent gap. Plus the transfer has already developed beyond his high school rating. The advantage in learning our system could be more than offset.

Just hard to speak in generalities for me.

Reaction Score
For some reason I like gravitating towards these mid-major guys. They have something to prove. They may work ten times harder than these big transfers from P5c.

Strive for 5 baby!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That is quite a talent gap. Plus the transfer has already developed beyond his high school rating. The advantage in learning our system could be more than offset.

Just hard to speak in generalities for me.

The idea of adding these 2 plus two grad transfers (leaving us ample long term flexibility plus some immediate help to improve upon 2016) is rather appealing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Difference between a transfer and a grad transfer.
I'm just saying I wouldn't take a ranked 200 player over a 100 player just because you keep them longer because
1) You get a better player
2) The transfer has gained experience

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

At this piont in the offseason you're thrilled if you land those 2 and hope for 2 immediate eligible guys who aren't totally overwhelmed.

Not trying to be negative, just saying that the player lot is getting rather thin right now. I'd prefer upperclassmen (aka grad transfers) cause at least they're physically grown and we know what they're capable of.

Getting that VCU guy would still be ideal. But idk if we're in on him.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall is on him? Forget it, we are done! No way we can beat out a P6 powerhouse nor should we expect to. We are doing well for a team from low minor conference. No need to expect to steal a kid from a team from a far better conference. The Hall will play much better competition on TV more often than we will. It is all about getting into the league with these kids.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall is on him? Forget it, we are done! No way we can beat out a P6 powerhouse nor should we expect to. We are doing well for a team from low minor conference. No need to expect to steal a kid from a team from a far better conference. The Hall will play much better competition on TV more often than we will. It is all about getting into the league with these kids.

Head bang

Reaction Score
Jarreau is the best player who has at least picked up the phone when UConn called.

Given the struggles they're already having with the 2018 class, I think this kid is rather important.
IMO Davis is better than Jarreau, and he has more than picked up the phone. What struggles in the '18 class are you referring to? We have been linked with a bunch of top 100 guys.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman