UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring | The Boneyard

UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Jarreau was a a top 60 recruit in the 2016 class. Ran a lot of point for UMass, but is probably better off at the 2, and he is 6'5 and turnover prone, but can slash and has a knack for slithering to the rim.

Per 40, he averaged 16.1 PTS, 5.9 REB, 7.4 AST, 1.6 STL, 1.2 BLK, but 5.4 TO. So he needs to keep working on his ball control and jumper, but he can do a bit of everything and his defense and size/versatility would be great.

Gresham wasn't as highly ranked, but he's a 6'9 rim protector and rebounder. Per 40 minutes, he averaged 10.6 REB and 3.3 BLK, but also 6.9 PF to go with an abysmal FT% (albeit in a small sample there).

These kids are best friends and we're a package deal out of HS, and chose a school in the northeast. If we end up having as many open schollies as it appears we will, I really hope we go after them. They could both use a redshirt year, and already have particular strengths to bring to the table.

Edit: Can a mod edit the title? Jarreau got autocorrected by my iPhone and I didn't notice.

Reaction Score
They would have to be in an even more desperate situation than I imagined to lock up 2 scholarships on these 2 transfers

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They would have to be in an even more desperate situation than I imagined to lock up 2 scholarships on these 2 transfers

Unless you think they're going to land 5 impact players, why not?

If they can get 3 legit grad transfers and then 2 guys who can play in 2018, that seems like about as good of a rebound from this mass exodus as you could hope for right now.

Unless you're holding out hope for Waters, which I am not.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

If they can get 3 legit grad transfers and then 2 guys who can play in 2018, that seems like about as good of a rebound from this mass exodus as you could hope for right now.

There is no master plan. These 2 are probably closer to the top of what's available to us now.

the Q

Reaction Score
There is no master plan. These 2 are probably closer to the top of what's available to us now.

Not sure I agree.

I'm sure they've had many iterations of a plan. But execution may be a problem.

Or for a guy like Cam Johnson, you can't make them pick up the phone. You can try and fail and then you just need to regroup.

Reaction Score

My point though is that I'd rather land a developmental 2018 (ranked 150-200) than a transfer (ranked 60-100).

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree.

I'm sure they've had many iterations of a plan. But execution may be a problem.

Or for a guy like Cam Johnson, you can't make them pick up the phone. You can try and fail and then you just need to regroup.

If your plan relies on somebody who won't even answer your phone calls, then it isn't much of a plan.

Reaction Score
2 scholarships tied up in guys that can't play for a year doesn't seem ideal
Agreed, but I did say this was if we end up having as many open schollies as it appears we may.

the Q

Reaction Score
If your plan relies on somebody who won't even answer your phone calls, then it isn't much of a plan.

Not what I meant. Just saying I'm sure they came at Cam hard.

He didn't pick up the phone...and now it's "oh UConn didn't have a plan."

No, they're having to constantly adjust.

Reaction Score
Not what I meant. Just saying I'm sure they came at Cam hard.

He didn't pick up the phone...and now it's "oh UConn didn't have a plan."

No, they're having to constantly adjust.

You're saying the same thing.

Calling guys and hoping they have interest isn't a plan. I'm glad were doing it, because we have to right now. But its not a plan. We are winging it right now.

the Q

Reaction Score
You're saying the same thing.

Calling guys and hoping they have interest isn't a plan. I'm glad were doing it, because we have to right now. But its not a plan. We are winging it right now.

I respectfully disagree.

They try Cam. He says no. They have to go after someone else.

Anderson could've been the 4th, 5th, 6th option.

I don't think they're winging it. They are just having to make multiple adjustments because options A-D are all saying no. But if you have 4-5 contingency options, isn't that at least some kind of plan?

Reaction Score

It appears Waters is dead. Be great to get a SG and a big but what we don't need is a poor shooting slasher. We need scorers and rebounders.

the Q

Reaction Score
It appears Waters is dead. Be great to get a SG and a big but what we don't need is a poor shooting slasher.

Agreed on Waters.

Which was why I made the point. What worthwhile long term-ish asset could you get at this point for 2017?

It's probably going to be mostly Grad transfers or sit-out transfers for the most part.

And 5 grad transfers would mean they're just doing this chase all over again next year.

Reaction Score
Agreed on Waters.

Which was why I made the point. What worthwhile long term-ish asset could you get at this point for 2017?

It's probably going to be mostly Grad transfers or sit-out transfers for the most part.

And 5 grad transfers would mean they're just doing this chase all over again next year.
I think we will be OK if we can land a legit PF grad transfer who can rebound.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? The only thing we have in abundance right now is open scholarships.

This isn't that hard, I would rather the staff fill those scholarships with guys who can actually play this upcoming season instead of 2 slots filled with guys who can't step on the court. If it was June/July and they're still sitting on 4 open slots and things are looking bleak then yea I guess so, but right now continue to mine the field of grad transfers(more will open up after Finals)/international players/jucos who can actually play now. After last season I would rather not have only 11 scholarship players who can play immediately, especially when 3 are coming off of season ending injuries.

Reaction Score
This isn't that hard, I would rather the staff fill those scholarships with guys who can actually play this upcoming season instead of 2 slots filled with guys who can't step on the court.

We're not getting 5 guys in this summer.

Reaction Score
These two are two clicks north of dumb. Getting them into school took half an act of god.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Getting UConn back to the NCAA tournament will take more than an act of God and our rosters two and three years out are the stuff of nightmares.

Jarreau can play. Not crazy about Gresham, but we're looking at kids who couldn't crack the lineup at St. John's, so the bar has been lowered there.

I'd take 'em both...but I'm guessing they'll head home and Will Wade will get a hack at them.

Reaction Score
These two are two clicks north of dumb. Getting them into school took half an act of god.
A lot easier to transfer from one college to another than to get into one from highschool if they put any semblance of effort into their college classes.

Reaction Score
Getting UConn back to the NCAA tournament will take more than an act of God and our rosters two and three years out are the stuff of nightmares.

Jarreau can play. Not crazy about Gresham, but we're looking at kids who couldn't crack the lineup at St. John's, so the bar has been lowered there.

I'd take 'em both...but I'm guessing they'll head home and Will Wade will get a hack at them.

Jarreau was a real nice player with a monster upside, Kellogg didn't know what to do with that talent. Someone will get a good one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom