UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UMass Freshman Package Jarreau and Gresham Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Recruiting pairs didn't work last time. One left after the last if nc. The other became a malcontent and left the following year. Tag team recruiting doesn't work

We have recruited high school teammates from the same class twice at UConn in the past 20 years.

In both cases we won a National Championship before their class graduated. I will take that again for sure.

In both cases, one of the pair transferred as an underclassman due to lack of playing time.

Can you name both pairs of players?:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(shittu, quickley)
n2810beavisButthead.jpg

"Huh, huh, huh"

Reaction Score
We have recruited high school teammates from the same class twice at UConn in the past 20 years.

In both cases we won a National Championship before their class graduated. I will take that again for sure.

In both cases, one of the pair transferred as an underclassman due to lack of playing time.

We've already spoken about AO and Coombs-McDaniels. Didn't Voskuhl have a high school teammate sit on our bench for a year or two? I want to say Leblanc.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We've already spoken about AO and Coombs-McDaniels. Didn't Voskuhl have a high school teammate sit on our bench for a year or two? I want to say Leblanc.
It was Leblanc, who had a brief burst of playing time in '97, maybe even started a game or two, but other than that did nothing, and left after a year.

Reaction Score
I had originally written Seton Hall off on the count of only have 1 scholarship available. If this does come to fruition that would no longer be the case. Oklahoma still only has 1 scholly left for next year. UConn/Creighton 2+.

Reaction Score

Both transferred in the case of AO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

Reaction Score
I had originally written Seton Hall off on the count of only have 1 scholarship available. If this does come to fruition that would no longer be the case. Oklahoma still only has 1 scholly left for next year. UConn/Creighton 2+.

Seton Hall's only chance at Duval was if Delgado came back. With Delgado and Duval they would have been a title contending type team, not anymore. Huge mistake by Delgado, amazing the advice many of these kids get.

Reaction Score
If i remember correctly, LeBlanc was the much higher rated player. Don't think he liked JC's volume level.

Exactly and JC's volume level was because he couldn't defend anyone. Kid could shoot it for sure but couldn't guard anyone and couldn't create to get his shot off. Again only there for a while but I don't think he improved enough to be much of an impact when he transferred, Vandy maybe??

Reaction Score
Seton Hall's only chance at Duval was if Delgado came back. With Delgado and Duval they would have been a title contending type team, not anymore. Huge mistake by Delgado, amazing the advice many of these kids get.
Not true at all. Delgado has maxed out in college. While another year would certainly help seton hall, it would not help delgado's stock. I can give countless examples of kids who came back and hurt themselves. Look at Melo Tremble. His stock in the NBA maxed out after freshman year. He helped Maryland by coming back and cost himself millions. Delgado has done all he could in college, now it's time to get paid. Even if it's overseas, the time clock is ticking.

Plus, with the wage scale in the d-league going up, more kids will choose that route than coming back to school.

Reaction Score
Not true at all. Delgado has maxed out in college. While another year would certainly help seton hall, it would not help delgado's stock. I can give countless examples of kids who came back and hurt themselves. Look at Melo Tremble. His stock in the NBA maxed out after freshman year. He helped Maryland by coming back and cost himself millions. Delgado has done all he could in college, now it's time to get paid. Even if it's overseas, the time clock is ticking.

Plus, with the wage scale in the d-league going up, more kids will choose that route than coming back to school.
He could leave, go play overseas, make maybe $100k likely less, and eventually have to pay $40k for his last year of school out of pocket. Or he could come back, be on the best team Seton Hall has had in a very long time, get his degree in exchange, and go to Europe the following year. Wouldn't fault him either way, but it's not like he has NBA draft potential to worry about losing. Both are reasonable choices.

Reaction Score

Maxed out? He isn't much of an athlete so could gain a little bit of explosion but he is close to maxed out there but to say he's maxed out as a player is asinine. Delgado has no jumpshot, the only chance a player with his athleticism has of making it in the league as a power forward is to develop a knock down elbow jumper. He could absolutely help his stock with another year of development.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He could leave, go play overseas, make maybe $100k likely less, and eventually have to pay $40k for his last year of school out of pocket. Or he could come back, be on the best team Seton Hall has had in a very long time, get his degree in exchange, and go to Europe the following year. Wouldn't fault him either way, but it's not like he has NBA draft potential to worry about losing. Both are reasonable choices.

I wonder how much they get paid in china. That Harrellson kid from Kentucky dominated there. Delgado is an absolutely monster compared to him. Dude can probably make a nice chunk of change over there.

Reaction Score
Maxed out? He isn't much of an athlete so could gain a little bit of explosion but he is close to maxed out there but to say he's maxed out as a player is asinine. Delgado has no jumpshot, the only chance a player with his athleticism has of making it in the league as a power forward is to develop a knock down elbow jumper. He could absolutely help his stock with another year of development.
Go back and listen to what scouts say......Delgado has done all he could at Seton Hall. He will not improve his stock by coming back to school. I am not saying he will get drafted, I am just saying going back to school will simply cost him a year of getting paid.

Reaction Score
Or he can collect a nice check overseas and if education matters to him, come back to get his degree once his athletic career ends. Or do it online, on off days. Seton Hall will always be there. The opportunity to earn a living playing a game won't be.

Reaction Score
I'm curious the big player here is Jarreau although Gresham has potential. Not sure we've heard anything at all since the word came out, is there serious consideration from both sides? Was there ever a connection with Ko/UC and either?

Thx

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I'm curious the big player here is Jarreau although Gresham has potential. Not sure we've heard anything at all since the word came out, is there serious consideration from both sides? Was there ever a connection with Ko/UC and either?

Thx

Haven't seen much other than just tweets saying UConn is in the running. Storrs South was able to eliminate a few due to not having enough room for two scholarships, but other than that it seems to be mostly speculation

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Exactly and JC's volume level was because he couldn't defend anyone. Kid could shoot it for sure but couldn't guard anyone and couldn't create to get his shot off. Again only there for a while but I don't think he improved enough to be much of an impact when he transferred, Vandy maybe??

People these days would have wanted him to get more burn to develop quicker. F#@$k earning your PT, just give it out for 'potential'.

Reaction Score

Thx

So I listened to Creighton's podcast on recruiting (WARNING: no one with any dignity should do this, it's about an 1 hours 15 minutes long, which is about 1 hour longer than it needed). I'm going to include all my notes here, some of which apply to UMass duo, some to Tremont since that thread closed and both recruiting stories are somewhat related.

They can't get Creighton admin on the record but off the record it sounds like Creighton thinks they know what they are doing and if it came to it, could get past the Big East bylaw hurdle. They also agree that Duke is alpha and omega with Tremont and waiting on Duval will be paramount. As I mentioned yesterday, they think it's down to Creighton/UConn if Duke gets Duval. From what they've and I quote "read and researched" Tremont does not get along with Ollie which I have never seen anywhere but OK. Here's the part where they start to lose all credibility: they start comparing that academic component that Tremont (or his dad or both who knows) apparently covets and conclude Creighton is the better school (it's not). So in conclusion, they know basically as much as we do on Tremont.

On the UMass duo, note that Creighton was in their final 5/6 coming out of high school. Notes that Jarreau got all the head lines but Gresham has potential (I agree). Apparently UMass fans are more upset that Gresham left than Jarreau as he started to come on during the end of the season. Think the duo is a Creighton lean (they seem to think the UMass duo really wants to come to Creighton), notes Oklahoma has 1 scholarship, at the time of the podcast (yesterday) says Seton Hall has 0 scholarships left (says 1 on Verbal commits and that's with Delgado still enrolled so I don't know there), Creighton 2 scholarships left.

Then they kind of note the same thing I said yesterday that it could become an either or scenario with the UMass duo and Waters as one could go to Creighton and the other to UConn depending on who moves first (I would sign up for this in a heartbeat).

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
So I listened to Creighton's podcast on recruiting (WARNING: no one with any dignity should do this, it's about an 1 hours 15 minutes long, which is about 1 hour longer than it needed). I'm going to include all my notes here, some of which apply to UMass duo, some to Tremont since that thread closed and both recruiting stories are somewhat related.

They can't get Creighton admin on the record but off the record it sounds like Creighton thinks they know what they are doing and if it came to it, could get past the Big East bylaw hurdle. They also agree that Duke is alpha and omega with Tremont and waiting on Duval will be paramount. As I mentioned yesterday, they think it's down to Creighton/UConn if Duke gets Duval. From what they've and I quote "read and researched" Tremont does not get along with Ollie which I have never seen anywhere but OK. Here's the part where they start to lose all credibility: they start comparing that academic component that Tremont (or his dad or both who knows) apparently covets and conclude Creighton is the better school (it's not). So in conclusion, they know basically as much as we do on Tremont.

On the UMass duo, note that Creighton was in their final 5/6 coming out of high school. Notes that Jarreau got all the head lines but Gresham has potential (I agree). Apparently UMass fans are more upset that Gresham left than Jarreau as he started to come on during the end of the season. Think the duo is a Creighton lean (they seem to think the UMass duo really wants to come to Creighton), notes Oklahoma has 1 scholarship, at the time of the podcast (yesterday) says Seton Hall has 0 scholarships left (says 1 on Verbal commits and that's with Delgado still enrolled so I don't know there), Creighton 2 scholarships left.

Then they kind of note the same thing I said yesterday that it could become an either or scenario with the UMass duo and Waters as one could go to Creighton and the other to UConn depending on who moves first (I would sign up for this in a heartbeat).

Thanks for the effort and sacrifice listening that long! Hard to imagine how it could be that Waters has had the type of contact with Ollie that would result in his "not getting along with Ollie." If this were true, I would think that UConn would be out of the running.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I was about to bemoan the fact that Creighton has a recruiting podcast and we don't. But if this is the standard for quality of info, I'm glad for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom