UConn women | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn women

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And they just got the top player in the 2020 class. So much for recruiting being down.

High school girls can be really tough to evaluate, but this kid can pass. There were a few times throughout the video where I was like, "damn. that's some vision". Worth watching the whole thing (with the sound off because the music is so goshdarn annoying after a while).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
High school girls can be really tough to evaluate, but this kid can pass. There were a few times throughout the video where I was like, "damn. that's some vision". Worth watching the whole thing (with the sound off because the music is so goshdarn annoying after a while).

Awkward shot and no hops but man can she pass.

Reaction Score
UConn was absurdly better than two NCAA #1 seeded teams?
They were obviously supposed to be. Not sure on the odds against ND last year but I'm pretty sure it was double digits and Mississippi State beating UConn is one of the biggest sports upsets ever, UConn was a 21.5 point favorite.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

According to 538, yes.

the Q

Reaction Score

Miss st was also a 2 seed

Reaction Score

Agree with you entirely. What tremendous court awareness and vision. Loved how she penetrated and broke the zone and dished off. Very impressive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

She's an ideal player for Geno's system. That court awareness and passing ability is exponentially more valuable on a team of finishers who are themselves attracting defensive attention. Could be Rizzoti like as a player.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They were obviously supposed to be. Not sure on the odds against ND last year but I'm pretty sure it was double digits and Mississippi State beating UConn is one of the biggest sports upsets ever, UConn was a 21.5 point favorite.
No they weren’t. The women lost two key starters, Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse, and replaced them with a freshman and a sophomore that didn’t play a lot the year before. They have no height in the post and no bench. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year

the Q

Reaction Score
No they weren’t. The women lost two key starters, Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse, and replaced them with a freshman and a sophomore that didn’t play a lot the year before. They have no height in the post and no bench. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year

He’s referring to the last 2 years, not this year

Reaction Score
Come on, read the thread...
UConn was absurdly better than both. They found ways to lose.

Reaction Score
I’m curious, if they do hang on, if the nd/Stan winner doesn’t try to press them more after watching this catastrophe

ND has even less of a bench than UConn. They can't press much. And UConn generally does ok against press because all 5 players can dribble. Collier in particular is effective since she's usually guarded by a big and is a very good ball handler.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
ND has less of a bench than UConn. They can't press much. And UConn generally does ok against press because all 5 players can dribble. Collier in particular is effective since she's usually guarded by a big and is a very good ball handler.

Yeah i figured we wouldn’t see 40 minutes of hell from nd.

But an early blitz would be interest to try and get UConn in a quick hole

Reaction Score

MSU was a huge choke job. Not in the sense of having a big lead and losing it (actually the game was more the opposite), but in terms of that group of players obviously being overwhelmed by the moment. Turnovers galore, from the first play of the game onward. Nurse disappeared as she tended to do in big games. Collier missed more bunnies that game than she did all year, as well as a free throw that could have given us the lead with 30 seconds left in regulation. Gabby Williams missed 2 FTs to start overtime. The Chong play at the end.

ND was a closer matchup, but still many of the same issues. Let them deliver the first punch, but then actually played well in the 2nd. We actually had an 11-point lead shortly before halftime before reverting to playing tight with horrible shot selection. Nurse may have even traveled on the game-tying wide open layup at the end of regulation. Then right after that, we got it back around halfcourt with a chance to win in regulation with about 3 seconds left. Pass to Gabby Williams on the block, she turns and throws up an awful shot as if she had 0.3 seconds, not 3. She panicked when she had time to make a move, fake the defender out, and win the game.

Yes, we had some big shots to come back and tie the game in regulation and overtime, but again, nobody with the killer instinct to put them away.

Reaction Score
Miss st was also a 2 seed

I think history has shown that Miss State was probably pretty pretty good and never should have been a 21 point underdog seeing they came a last second shot away from winning the title the very next year and were eliminated this year in the Elite 8 88-84 against Oregon in Portland. The spread was that big because of the 60 pt loss the previous year. The teams were completely different.

The final possession by Chong against MSU was horrible and there was no excuse for it. You always hold for the final shot with the shot clock off. That is basketball 101. When I was a student season ticket holder I was always amazed the UConn women would always take a shot with like 5-7 secs left leaving time for the other opponent. It never hurt them because they would be ahead by so much but they routinely do this and it lost them that game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The final possession by Chong against MSU was horrible and there was no excuse for it. You always hold for the final shot with the shot clock off. That is basketball 101
Agree, but if the refs call the obvious foul against her and she makes her shots this is a different conversation.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agree, but if the refs call the obvious foul against her and she makes her shots this is a different conversation.

Maybe.

It’s either 2ot or still a game winner if she doesn’t hit both.

The far worse call, or set, was gabbys 4th foul, and then Collier getting drilled as she missed one Of her 75 missed layups that night...this one a reverse layup

the Q

Reaction Score
I think history has shown that Miss State was probably pretty pretty good and never should have been a 21 point underdog seeing they came a last second shot away from winning the title the very next year and were eliminated this year in the Elite 8 88-84 against Oregon in Portland. The spread was that big because of the 60 pt loss the previous year. The teams were completely different.

The final possession by Chong against MSU was horrible and there was no excuse for it. You always hold for the final shot with the shot clock off. That is basketball 101. When I was a student season ticket holder I was always amazed the UConn women would always take a shot with like 5-7 secs left leaving time for the other opponent. It never hurt them because they would be ahead by so much but they routinely do this and it lost them that game.

538’s metrics were beyond impressive for them.

UConn had no business losing to either.

Reaction Score

Yes UConn should win every single year and no other team trying should ever ever beat them under any circumstances. It's really really easy to win 6 championships in a row.

538 nailed the 2016 election right?

the Q

Reaction Score
MSU was a huge choke job. Not in the sense of having a big lead and losing it (actually the game was more the opposite), but in terms of that group of players obviously being overwhelmed by the moment. Turnovers galore, from the first play of the game onward. Nurse disappeared as she tended to do in big games. Collier missed more bunnies that game than she did all year, as well as a free throw that could have given us the lead with 30 seconds left in regulation. Gabby Williams missed 2 FTs to start overtime. The Chong play at the end.

ND was a closer matchup, but still many of the same issues. Let them deliver the first punch, but then actually played well in the 2nd. We actually had an 11-point lead shortly before halftime before reverting to playing tight with horrible shot selection. Nurse may have even traveled on the game-tying wide open layup at the end of regulation. Then right after that, we got it back around halfcourt with a chance to win in regulation with about 3 seconds left. Pass to Gabby Williams on the block, she turns and throws up an awful shot as if she had 0.3 seconds, not 3. She panicked when she had time to make a move, fake the defender out, and win the game.

Yes, we had some big shots to come back and tie the game in regulation and overtime, but again, nobody with the killer instinct to put them away.

Both were. Both times the team played jittery and folded under the spotlight.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's still a horrible play. The other team gets a chance for a game-winning shot. She has to pass the ball. She had no business doing what she did.

the Q

Reaction Score
It's still a horrible play. The other team gets a chance for a game-winning shot. She has to pass the ball. She had no business doing what she did.

She had no business touching the ball on that possession.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Anyone have any experience buying tickets to the NCAAW championship game? Obviously UConn needs to get past Notre Dame first, but if they do, should tickets pop up from fans of the losing teams that are there for the final four?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I'm not sure I agree about ND. I get it, the numbers favor UCONN, but playing ND is like playing an arch rival conference game for the men. You're so familiar with the other team, and ND plays hard as hell (over the top even). It's almost like a Yankees/Red Sox game, where, no matter the relative talent, it's still a grudge match every time out. As much as I dislike her, Muffett gets her teams up for these games. It's always a dogfight.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree about ND. I get it, the numbers favor UCONN, but playing ND is like playing an arch rival conference game for the men. You're so familiar with the other team, and ND plays hard as hell (over the top even). It's almost like a Yankees/Red Sox game, where, no matter the relative talent, it's still a grudge match every time out. As much as I dislike her, Muffett gets her teams up for these games. It's always a dogfight.
The officials will favor ND as they usually do. They will beat up Lou and no calls will be made. They will throw Crystal to the floor and no calls will be made. ESPN prefers ND. They want an ACC team to win to bolster the ACCN which debuts in the summer. You all may have seen the ND/ACCN commercials during the tourney. I suspect the fix is in for ND/ESPN. I hope not, but that is what I believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom