UConn women | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who hates the touch the ball as a defensive player and it's a jump ball call. Funny how Uconn had the second best record in the country this year but they haven't gotten the respect they normally do. Next year Gino probably comes down to earth because I don't see the usual dominating talent once NC and KLS leave.
The call your referencing was brutal. LVille player grazed the ball while in the process of shoving Dangerfield to the ground. Jumpball. It was also a big time “momentum” call.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The call your referencing was brutal. LVille player grazed the ball while in the process of shoving Dangerfield to the ground. Jumpball. It was also a big time “momentum” call.

That game was officiated better than any game in the entire men’s tournament...but that call was abysmal

Reaction Score
Louisville appeared to run the same play four or five times in a row down the stretch and got a layup every time. It was as if Uconn had not seen it fifteen seconds ago.

Reaction Score
Louisville missing free throws helped. They got some calls that did not look like fouls to get to the line in the 4th Q. Dangerfield is an adventure with the ball late in games. She should be better.
They're seriously flawed. She's the only one who can really handle the ball, but she also can't shoot or pass. If a team could adequately press for a whole game, this team might get stomped

Reaction Score
The Selection Committee specifically mentioned UConn’s being in the AAC as the reason for the 2 seed. Mid-majors don’t get 1 seeds in the women’s game

This would be defendable Nan if we only played the conference schedule. We play everyone and often on the road. If this was the case Gonzaga should not have been a men's 1 seed. The selection committee is full of it but maybe this year it helps us. Hungry Huskies!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They're seriously flawed. She's the only one who can really handle the ball, but she also can't shoot or pass. If a team could adequately press for a whole game, this team might get stomped
Her shooting has been pretty good this year.

Reaction Score
Another momentum killer was the out of bounds call against Collier on the defensive rebound. Don't know what the referee was looking at as she was clearly in bounds by 3 inches.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Her shooting has been pretty good this year.

One of the biggest reasons they are where they are is because she didn’t take any kind of next step.

Her shooting even regressed.

Reaction Score
Another momentum killer was the out of bounds call against Collier on the defensive rebound. Don't know what the referee was looking at as she was clearly in bounds by 3 inches.
out-of-bounds call ^&%$

She wasn't even close to OOB.

They've lost their mojo before in late games, but those two calls were particularly brutal and gave Louisville 4 of the 9 points they made up in their comeback. Just brutal calls.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Also the “jump ball”, I know she should’ve dribbled but still got grabbed from behind and the Lville player hardly touched the ball. The refs were beyond bad for that whole 1 minute stretch.

Last edited:

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
If I’m Louisville I’m thinking “how are we playing 2 hours from the worse seed in the regional final?” They can consult Michigan St for counseling :p

I caught the second half at the gym. Kind of game where UConn couldn’t put them away but Louisville also couldn’t get over the hump. Tough game but the good guys were tougher.
How about #1 Miss St playing a “neutral court” game against #2 Oregon in Portland, OREGON.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In the midst of a massive choke. Hope they pull it out but this is tough to watch.
Premature elation?

UConn was faring really well until the best player in the game left with 4th foul. Then UConn had the rough stretch.

All vs. a #1 seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pj

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
It appears to me that their biggest flaw is mobility and a lack of size compared to previous teams. You have to have a guard who can beat people off the dribble or good post up play in women's basketball because the majority of players are not going to have exceptional quickness and this leads to a tough time getting open looks. Samuelson is an amazing shooter but lacks mobility which limits her effectiveness without a very quick point guard who can get her shots. Today, Samuelson just hit some really deep shots with hands in her face... she was awesome and put the team on her back. Without her exceptional performance ... they lose. The play at half court when Dangerfield got herself in tie-up wasn't Geno's fault... Dangerfield has to dribble away as she sees the double team coming.

Reaction Score
That game was officiated better than any game in the entire men’s tournament...but that call was abysmal

I’ll debate that, women’s refs are dreadful quite often and make the AAC men’s refs look okay. They guess a lot, rarely get the charge/block call correct. Agree the men’s refs have been decreasing in consistency in a big way though too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It appears to me that their biggest flaw is mobility and a lack of size compared to previous teams. You have to have a guard who can beat people off the dribble or good post up play in women's basketball because the majority of players are not going to have exceptional quickness and this leads to a tough time getting open looks. Samuelson is an amazing shooter but lacks mobility which limits her effectiveness without a very quick point guard who can get her shots. Today, Samuelson just hit some really deep shots with hands in her face... she was awesome and put the team on her back. Without her exceptional performance ... they lose. The play at half court when Dangerfield got herself in tie-up wasn't Geno's fault... Dangerfield has to dribble away as she sees the double team coming.
The biggest difference between this team and their dominant teams is a post presence. They rely soooo much on the 3. Maybe next year Nelson-Ododa will be ready but right now their front court is very small compared to teams like Baylor or Louisville. Seems like it used to be UConn always had a 6’5” go-to post player that teams were trying to defend with someone 6’2” but those tables have turned.

Reaction Score
They almost choked it away at the end, but give them credit for coming through in those moments early in the 4th quarter when the game was decided (and, ditto, Friday night against UCLA). This is a group of players that has has shrunk from big moments the last 2 years, but they turned a corner here.

Not sure they have enough to overcome ND in the Final Four, but extending the FF streak to 12 is an impressive feat in itself.

Reaction Score
They almost choked it away at the end, but give them credit for coming through in those moments early in the 4th quarter when the game was decided (and, ditto, Friday night against UCLA). This is a group of players that has has shrunk from big moments the last 2 years, but they turned a corner here.

Not sure they have enough to overcome ND in the Final Four, but extending the FF streak to 12 is an impressive feat in itself.
Didn’t they beat this Notre Dame team by 18 on the road?

Reaction Score
They're going to hold on but I feel like they need to be up by like 20 heading into the final few minutes to feel comfortable. I only watch the big games but I never feel comfortable with this group in a close game.
Uh - the Cards were the number 1 seed who UConn lost to earlier this year. So, why would you think they'd blow them out by 20 in a regional final?

Reaction Score
Didn’t they beat this Notre Dame team by 18 on the road?

ND is playing much better now and, today's performance notwithstanding, Lou is still not 100%.

It should be a close game, but I would have ND favored by a couple.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, they handled the #1 seed all game. Louisville never had the lead after the 1st quarter. That's not nothing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Biff took a screen shot

6FC0181C-7139-4927-BE6F-85BDD9C1C2A1.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She is playing with a bone bruise on one of her vertebrae

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Geno is obviously an amazing coach, but his late-game coaching leaves a bit to be desired.
Players have to execute. I’m willing to bet the farm he didn’t draw up Chong taking a beyond stupid shot with way too much time left.
He got gabby a good matchup the next year, but she rushed the shot. It was a great design, but the execution wasn’t there.
It's weird, he develops these amazing teams and they dominate by being so disciplined and executing so well. When the game gets tight near the end they seem to always freak out when I watch.

The women suffer from having to play half the year against complete cupcakes. Geno schedules well, but the league is what it is.

When you're up 30 every game, you're never testing your metal.

I've noticed it more in recent years with the AAC as opposed to the BE. Could be my imagination idk.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The women suffer from having to play half the year against complete cupcakes. Geno schedules well, but the league is what it is.

When you're up 30 every game, you're never testing your metal.

I've noticed it more in recent years with the AAC as opposed to the BE. Could be my imagination idk.

I do think this group, while having a ton of superlative players, has lacked a true closer for a while now. A killer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom