UConn women | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn women

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The women suffer from having to play half the year against complete cupcakes. Geno schedules well, but the league is what it is.

When you're up 30 every game, you're never testing your metal.

I've noticed it more in recent years with the AAC as opposed to the BE. Could be my imagination idk.

These players disappeared in the last 2 final fours.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
These players disappeared in the last 2 final fours.

I mean, they lost 2 games on last second shots. It's not like they folded like cheap shirts.

But just having that closer at the end, that killer, is something they've lacked.

Maybe they've struggled to develop that, maybe it's just the players.

Reaction Score
how do you think geno would do as men’s coach, genuinely curious to hear your guys’ thoughts

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
The biggest difference between this team and their dominant teams is a post presence. They rely soooo much on the 3. Maybe next year Nelson-Ododa will be ready but right now their front court is very small compared to teams like Baylor or Louisville. Seems like it used to be UConn always had a 6’5” go-to post player that teams were trying to defend with someone 6’2” but those tables have turned.
Yeah, I agree about the post. Also, we have often had very dominant and quick, crafty guards (Diana, Sue, Renee, Moriah J.) that open things up for others. Dangerfield is very inconsistent with this IMHO.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
She is playing with a bone bruise on one of her vertebrae
Yes, and that certainly has slowed her some. But I have observed her limited quickness on the perimeter for several years. When we play teams with quicker defenders she has struggled to get her shot off. Nonetheless, love her and she almost single-handedly won the game today. :)

Reaction Score
Next year will truly test Geno. Without NC and KLS this team is going to struggle. Not sure where the consistent scoring and rebounding is going to come from.

Reaction Score
The only thing we have as even a peek is what he did with his son's AAU team. They were a seriously untalented group he brought them to the national semi-finals I believe. I think he would be an outstanding coach if he could reverse his age and travel back in time say 40 years. I think I treated this question with the solemnity it deserves. Of course I once wrote about the men being coached by Calhoun's brain in the distant future. Donovan's Brain anyone?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
how do you think geno would do as men’s coach, genuinely curious to hear your guys’ thoughts

Hopefully you're being facetious? That topic has been rehashed over and over and over on this board.

The TLDR of every one of the discussions is that no one agrees on anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They're seriously flawed. She's the only one who can really handle the ball, but she also can't shoot or pass. If a team could adequately press for a whole game, this team might get stomped
You clearly haven’t watched them. They have 5 ball-handlers on the floor. No one presses them with any success.

Reaction Score
Next year will truly test Geno. Without NC and KLS this team is going to struggle. Not sure where the consistent scoring and rebounding is going to come from.
They expect their 6’5” freshman center (#3 player from HS) to have a big impact. Also their freshman 2-guard (#1 player in HS). Also their sophomore 6’1” forward (#1 player from her HS class), and PG Dangerfield, who will be a senior All-American next year. Next years only recruit so far was named NY player of the year. Lots of teams will lose a lot, not just UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
[Dangerfield] can't shoot or pass. If a team could adequately press for a whole game, this team might get stomped
I'll leave this here:
1554089218096.png

Reaction Score
They're seriously flawed. She's the only one who can really handle the ball, but she also can't shoot or pass. If a team could adequately press for a whole game, this team might get stomped
This team lost three great players (Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, and Azura Stevens) from last year and yet are going on to another Final Four this year, and after today may be the favorite to win another National Championship. I think this might be Geno's best coaching job of his career. So far this year they already have beaten two #1 seeds, Louisville today and blew out Notre Dame earlier in the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's sounds like what everyone, including Pat Summit, said when Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams all graduated. Leaving only Sophmore Diana Taurasi and a bunch of freshman. Yet that unit went on to win three more NC's. For next year, Geno will have some challenges, but will still have Junior Meghan Walker, Sophmore Christyn Williams, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Walker and Williams were both the NPOY coming out of high school, and Nelson-Ododa was ranked #5 nationally. So I'd say Geno still has a great core of players to work with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Obviously you haven’t watch the women much ..... she won the game against UCLA in the fourth quarter almost single handedly 2 days ago.

Reaction Score
You don't watch them?

the Q

Reaction Score
Defeated by Hail Mary last second shots 2 years in a row. Only defeat of the year, both years. Ever seen the guys do that?

They had 2 and 3 other WNBA first rounders on those 2 teams.

Gabbys effort against Miss st was downright heroic while basically everyone else moved like they’d never played in the spotlight before.

Last year the defense and rebounding were just atrocious. The rebounding continues to be an issue this year, not surprised since they don’t have Z or Gabby.

But no question Collier in particular struggles mightily in both games.

the Q

Reaction Score
That's sounds like what everyone, including Pat Summit, said when Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams all graduated. Leaving only Sophmore Diana Taurasi and a bunch of freshman. Yet that unit went on to win three more NC's. For next year, Geno will have some challenges, but will still have Junior Meghan Walker, Sophmore Christyn Williams, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Walker and Williams were both the NPOY coming out of high school, and Nelson-Ododa was ranked #5 nationally. So I'd say Geno still has a great core of players to work with.

Next year with be so intersting.

It would seem that would be the year the ff steak ends. But frankly, idk how anyone can count out geno at this point.

But I do want him to land the polish girl.

the Q

Reaction Score
This team lost three great players (Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, and Azura Stevens) from last year and yet are going on to another Final Four this year, and after today may be the favorite to win another National Championship. I think this might be Geno's best coaching job of his career. So far this year they already have beaten two #1 seeds, Louisville today and blew out Notre Dame earlier in the season.

I don’t know if it’s number one. But it’s up there for sure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Selection Committee specifically mentioned UConn’s being in the AAC as the reason for the 2 seed. Mid-majors don’t get 1 seeds in the women’s game

Which is stupid, because the Big East sucked except for UConn. Notre Dame, Rutgers and Louisville built their programs by selling the ability to play against UConn. Now we are on the outside looking in? Morans.

the Q

Reaction Score
They expect their 6’5” freshman center (#3 player from HS) to have a big impact. Also their freshman 2-guard (#1 player in HS). Also their sophomore 6’1” forward (#1 player from her HS class), and PG Dangerfield, who will be a senior All-American next year. Next years only recruit so far was named NY player of the year. Lots of teams will lose a lot, not just UConn.

Notre dame, baylor and miss st all lose a lot, I believe.

Doesn’t Baylor lose brown?

Next year might be a really fun year for all if wcbb.

the Q

Reaction Score
Which is stupid, because the Big East sucked except for UConn. Notre Dame, Rutgers and Louisville built their programs by selling the ability to play against UConn. Now we are on the outside looking in? Morans.

The metrics said Louisville deserved a 1 over UConn.

But not miss st.

But as I said since it was announced, I would’ve rather been the 2 in Albany than the 1 in portland and play the ducks in a virtual home game.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame/Uconn would be a fun game next weekend. Great rivalry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom