UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve seen an injury happen like that in a game. Hopefully she’s alright. It looked more like an ankle or hyperextension, but the knee kinda buckling made it look worse.

Ducharme was really fun to watch in the fourth. Looks like Geno might have another scorer.

Reaction Score
Geno has a bad habit of leaving his best players in until the final whistle, even during blowouts. After games I speak with my father and lament that I hope one day one his best players don't get injured during such "garbage time". When Paige went down today I just buried my head in my hands and screamed "Oh no! Don't tell me it actually happened!" Not surprisingly, my dad called with the same lament. I just never understood why Geno does that. He's the best coach in college basketball but this makes me crazy. Why not take her out of the game, reduce her minutes, and have her enjoy an ovation for a great game? If we lose Paige we're in BIG trouble. I hope she's ok.... ;-/

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
You can’t trash player, eg “She’s a waste of a scholarship “, “she sucks”, but you can discuss a player’s play even if some view it as negative. Just don’t get personal about it.

Huh?
Misinterpreted your post about obituaries. Sorry.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
they didn't comitt to Uconn, or they weren't worthy of going to Uconn
Who said that? O must have missed it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve seen an injury happen like that in a game. Hopefully she’s alright. It looked more like an ankle or hyperextension, but the knee kinda buckling made it look worse.

Ducharme was really fun to watch in the fourth. Looks like Geno might have another scorer.
I've seen it plenty of times...and a hyperextension doesn't happen when the knee is bent in its normal direction. Just the opposite.

Reaction Score
There was a lot flopping today. Twice early against Nika. Maybe basketball should look at the NHL's dive rule. If a player takes a dive in the NHL, he is penalized.
Actually, Nika pushes off all the time and it should be called a foul.

Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting to hear a little acknowledgment of ONO’s effort today. A forlorn hope, I guess. I thought this was the best game I’ve ever seen her play in terms of toughness and aggressive rebounding! If she can play like that for the rest of the season, we are going to be very tough to beat!

Reaction Score
Given the beating Paige had already taken over the course of the afternoon, and the margin of score by the last minute, why was Paige even in the game at that point?
Yes, Paige took a beating. It's up to the other guards to step up, and if Paige is really damaged , now they'll have to. The only reason she was still in the game was to stop another ND run, IF Geno didn't have confidence in the other starters to hold the lead. I can't think of another rational reason, but I'm in agreement that the coach should have protected her (20-20 hindsight), given the game's physicality.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, Paige took a beating. It's up to the other guards to step up, and if Paige is really damaged , now they'll have to. The only reason she was still in the game was to stop another ND run, IF Geno didn't have confidence in the other starters to hold the lead. I can't think of another rational reason, but I'm in agreement that the coach should have protected her (20-20 hindsight), given the game's physicality.
Another ND run??? There were 38 seconds left in the game, and UCONN was up by 18 points!

Reaction Score
Everything written about Citron,but Ms. Ducharme proved that she can play a little bit too. Loved her aggressiveness. This bodes well for the future.
Citron is going to be a difference maker........with ND's somewhat thin line up she's been getting starter's minutes while Ducharme has barely got off the bench for somewhat understandable reasons......right now it looks like Ducharme will be playing a lot more ball with PB and out with injuries.....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You can’t trash player, eg “She’s a waste of a scholarship “, “she sucks”, but you can discuss a player’s play even if some view it as negative. Just don’t get personal about it.

Huh?
The negativity directed toward players. Your obituary post.
Could be referring to your death notices thread?

Reaction Score
But she wasn’t.
She was still on the court with 1 minute left in a BLOWOUT.
Will the media have the backbone to ask him why???

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry Nan, Geno's the head coach and there is no reason for the team's most valuable player who logs more minutes than any other, being on the court at that point in the game........if she was injured during the heat of the battle I could accept this much more easily..........this is not a new thing for Geno and I have lamented about it many times over the years...........totally inexcusable as far as I'm concerned......
If this team was playing at an elite level I’d agree with your point of view. But they are not. Far from it.

Finally a player other than Paige (and to a lesser extent Ono) is in the game and asserting herself on offense. IMO it’s a smart move keeping Paige in to build on Caroline’s confidence and development.

Reaction Score
Even though Christyn Williams didn’t score much today, I thought she played a well-rounded game. She passed well, and her anticipation in the transition game is off the charts.
Of course, one cannot discuss a UConn game without mentioning the brilliance of Paige. She is clearly head and shoulders above everyone on the floor, in most every aspect, but without equal when it comes to “seeing” the game.
The one area that surprises me is that she doesn’t get to the foul line that often for such a prolific scorer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Coming over from the equivalent of the Chat room in McGraw's Bench to first say one thing:-

- I hope Paige is a.o.k. given what we saw on the floor. She's too sublime a talent to lose for any period, so serious fingers crossed.

One or two other points:
  • Paige and ONO were the key factors to me. Any time UConn needed something, anything, Paige seemed to orchestrate it. Offense, defense, transition.
  • ONO seems to find the soft spots in ND's zone and lives there. Double doubles the last two games. Well done.
  • This is the first I've seen of Ducharme in extended playing time (that might hold for everyone). She's got nice lift to her jumper and had one nice move to the hoop. Will be interesting to see if those kinds of performances will continue. If so, another addition to the rotation.

As for ND fans, a mixed bag. Very pleased with the freshmen:
  • Miles rolled triple "8's": 8 pts, 8 assists, 8 rebounds, the latter two led the Irish. She can rebound very well for a guard.
  • Citron led the Irish with 19 and wasn't caught up in the moment for a second. Missed some shots I've routinely see her down. However, she keeps coming and gets fouled: 7-8 from the line. Heck, I would've liked to see her just attack the entire 4th quarter: she's 6'1", has hops and knows how to get fouled. At the end of the game, I saw Citron and Paige guarding each other. Not too surprised.
  • UConn defense mitigated most of the rest of the Irish. Heck, Peoples didn't score. Maddy was off: two games in a row, so we've got to get her going.

So, my main takeaways:
  • ND is in good hands with Miles and Citron and KK Bransford will be a great addition to that backcourt next year.
  • And the main one: I really hope Paige is ok. She's the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom