UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand there are people whose entire life was turned upside down by this injury and you want to blame somebody, but it happened. Time to make adjustments and see what they can do. It's hard to win a National Championship with one person carrying the load. See who steps up. Good things happened today. They scored out of their half court offense by moving the ball and making the defense move. Caroline Ducharme came closer to getting her bearings. Nelson-Ododa had a good game in a physical setting. ND played a pretty good matchup zone, one that negated Williams drives to the basket, but UConn adjusted and found other ways to score. They defended a lot of pretty good scorers well. I think the game preparation by the coaches was good. And I think they did better at playing all the way to the end, finishing strong. So, wait for the injury diagnosis and see where they go from here.

Reaction Score
what do you mean they don't mean anything? Louisville is ranked 10th, at Georgia Tech is a hostile environment. We will learn a lot about this team in these games, than some 30 pt blowout vs the big east.
You want to win your conference. I would rather lose all 3 non-league games ( which we most likely will without Paige). It more important for the team to win conference games so we can win the Big East regular season and tournament. That needs to be the teams focus.

Reaction Score
lol if you guys think some comments on these forums are bad, if I ever have a child that plays sports at college level I am telling her to stay off Twitter for her sanity. Comments to "Paige has to play all game to fulfill her endorsements contract" "Paige can't come out or she loses money with her Nil sponsors".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I understand there are people whose entire life was turned upside down by this injury and you want to blame somebody, but it happened. Time to make adjustments and see what they can do. It's hard to win a National Championship with one person carrying the load. See who steps up. Good things happened today. They scored out of their half court offense by moving the ball and making the defense move. Caroline Ducharme came closer to getting her bearings. Nelson-Ododa had a good game in a physical setting. ND played a pretty good matchup zone, one that negated Williams drives to the basket, but UConn adjusted and found other ways to score. They defended a lot of pretty good scorers well. I think the game preparation by the coaches was good. And I think they did better at playing all the way to the end, finishing strong. So, wait for the injury diagnosis and see where they go from here.
Post of the day. Thank you for bringing some perspective.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How about "looking back on it I should have pulled her........I'm going to be a bit more cautious going forward........"
The thing is, if coaches didn’t routinely remove starters with an insurmountable lead it wouldn’t be a question at all. This game kind of begged for pulling starters. Paige especially had taken a beating. Did that contribute at all to her injury or was this going to happen soon anyway we will never know. Just hope she’s ok. And I don’t think GA was kidding about not liking how they look without her because Muhl was really bad with the ball today. She’s better than that. He might get to watch a lot of that now.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game. The place was filled and it was a great crowd. Lots of energy. I got to campus around 10:45 and it was still a long line to get into the garage. It was so great to be back there for a game for the first time since early 2020.

The halftime show honoring the Olympians was very well done. There was also a well produced video honoring the Olympians. Rebecca Lobo and Sue Bird got the loudest ovations, but the crowd honored everyone. Classy all the way around.

Overall I was pleased with what I saw from UConn, except for the ending of course.

The Notre Dame 2-3 zone gave us loads of trouble. ND is not a very athletic team, but they are smart and they play the passing lanes well. We did a lot of passing around the perimeter. And a lot of ill advised passes. I have never thought that even the best UConn teams feed the post well, but this was something else again. Inexplicable passes. We should have been ahead by more going into the fourth quarter.

On the other hand, Olivia was tremendous, she fought inside tooth and nail all game long. Played like a warrior. Paige was Paige, wonderful. And of course the coming out party for Caroline. She runs the floor well in the half court offense and did not hesitate to shoot. Her first one one or two were long, that is her tendency, but she settled in. Nika hit two big threes in the first half, great to see.

It was weird that a timeout was called by UConn, I think, at 5:02 of the third and then the TV timeout was called one play later at just under the 5 minute mark. So one play was run on about an 8-10 minute time span. The energy left the building during that period and I was concerned that it might not return. But it did.

Azzi Fudd would have made a big difference today from the corners, which seemed to be open against the zone. Christyn is a slasher and that style didn`t seem to work today against the zone.

Paige was in a very awkward position around the foul line when Dodson leveled her. Slow to get up. We got called for a lot of ticky tack fouls in the third period, while the Notre Dame fouls were definitely not ticky tack.

Notre Dame is good but not great. Not much of an inside game. Miles is good but I think that Citron is their best player by quite a bit. She moves well and seems to have that knack some players have of getting open. They will be a tough duo to play against going forward. Notre Dame switched to man-to-man defense at some point early in the fourth quarter but I was very surprised that with 5 or so minutes to go, with Notre Dame down about 17, that ND didn`t press the ball more and at least try to extend the game. It looked like they had conceded at that point.

I thought our defense was good and we rebounded well but I was also surprised at how many open shots Notre Dame missed.

I remember feeling anxious at the beginning of the fourth quarter but then behind Paige and Caroline, and great team defense, the victory was secured. People we reaching for their coats and getting ready to head for the exits when Paige went down. It was a shock to the collective Gampel system and the place suddenly became silent, but also still, like we were all frozen. It was a quiet crowd leaving the building.

Prayers up for Paige.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. The place was filled and it was a great crowd. Lots of energy. I got to campus around 10:45 and it was still a long line to get into the garage. It was so great to be back there for a game for the first time since early 2020.

The halftime show honoring the Olympians was very well done. There was also a well produced video honoring the Olympians. Rebecca Lobo and Sue Bird got the loudest ovations, but the crowd honored everyone. Classy all the way around.

Overall I was pleased with what I saw from UConn, except for the ending of course.

The Notre Dame 2-3 zone gave us loads of trouble. ND is not a very athletic team, but they are smart and they play the passing lanes well. We did a lot of passing around the perimeter. And a lot of ill advised passes. I have never thought that even the best UConn teams feed the post well, but this was something else again. Inexplicable passes. We should have been ahead by more going into the fourth quarter.

On the other hand, Olivia was tremendous, she fought inside tooth and nail all game long. Played like a warrior. Paige was Paige, wonderful. And of course the coming out party for Caroline. She runs the floor well in the half court offense and did not hesitate to shoot. Her first one one or two were long, that is her tendency, but she settled in. Nika hit two big threes in the first half, great to see.

It was weird that a timeout was called by UConn, I think, at 5:02 of the third and then the TV timeout was called one play later at just under the 5 minute mark. So one play was run on about an 8-10 minute time span. The energy left the building during that period and I was concerned that it might not return. But it did.

Azzi Fudd would have made a big difference today from the corners, which seemed to be open against the zone. Christyn is a slasher and that style didn`t seem to work today against the zone.

Paige was in a very awkward position around the foul line when Dodson leveled her. Slow to get up. We got called for a lot of ticky tack fouls in the third period, while the Notre Dame fouls were definitely not ticky tack.

Notre Dame is good but not great. Not much of an inside game. Miles is good but I think that Citron is their best player by quite a bit. She moves well and seems to have that knack some players have of getting open. They will be a tough duo to play against going forward. Notre Dame switched to man-to-man defense at some point early in the fourth quarter but I was very surprised that with 5 or so minutes to go, with Notre Dame down about 17, that ND didn`t press the ball more and at least try to extend the game. It looked like they had conceded at that point.

I thought our defense was good and we rebounded well but I was also surprised at how many open shots Notre Dame missed.

I remember feeling anxious at the beginning of the fourth quarter but then behind Paige and Caroline, and great team defense, the victory was secured. People we reaching for their coats and getting ready to head for the exits when Paige went down. It was a shock to the collective Gampel system and the place suddenly became silent, but also still, like we were all frozen. It was a quiet crowd leaving the building.

Prayers up for Paige.
Great narrative.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
You want to win your conference. I would rather lose all 3 non-league games ( which we most likely will without Paige). It more important for the team to win conference games so we can win the Big East regular season and tournament. That needs to be the teams focus.
are you drinking? LMAO, Uconn is not losing all 3 games I'd bet any amount of money on it. The big east is wrapped even if Paige doesn't play this season.

Reaction Score
are you drinking? LMAO, Uconn is not losing all 3 games I'd bet any amount of money on it. The big east is wrapped even if Paige doesn't play this season.
If UConn’s defense can hold those teams in the forties for scoring then they have a shot to win. UConn is really going to struggle to score without Paige. Especially if the teams play zone against UConn

Reaction Score
The thing is, if coaches didn’t routinely remove starters with an insurmountable lead it wouldn’t be a question at all. This game kind of begged for pulling starters. Paige especially had taken a beating. Did that contribute at all to her injury or was this going to happen soon anyway we will never know. Just hope she’s ok. And I don’t think GA was kidding about not liking how they look without her because Muhl was really bad with the ball today. She’s better than that. He might get to watch a lot of that now.
You're exactly right.........what other head coach would do that? We will never know why her injury occurred or if it would have just happened the next day during practice but why not rest your MVP as best you can when you can.......Of course the team looks better when Paige is out there...........every college and every WNBA team would look better with Paige out there but that doesn't mean Geno needs her to risk injury with a minute to go during garbage time......,.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The NFL should take note. The best deep passing game resides in Storrs, Bueckers to Williams. Paige’s vision and touch combined with Williams stealth and hands form a winning combination.
I write this hoping Paige’s injury is not serious or worse, season-ending.
In any game, Paige makes multiple plays that no other player in WCBB can make from 80 ft passes on a dime to Jerry Rice catches on a full run to running sky hooks off the glass to defensive gems. In order, the Brunelle Stuff, The Miles Charge and the Mabrey gamesmanship where she flew 40 feet to draw an offensive foul. :cool:

Miles seemed to try a little gamesmanship on her own when she tried to make Paige flinch after the charge call but Paige was so locked in, did not even notice her.

So by my count, she has collected the scalps of TN, SC and ND. Praying she can come back soon.

Reaction Score
Responding to the remarks that Paige could just as easily have injured herself just by walking to the bench:

My observation is that most injuries occur when fatigue is a factor. Just like when I was skiing, most injuries/falls happened at the end of the day, when your legs are shot. They need to start thinking that the last minutes of a rough game is "danger time."

Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Notre Dame game:
  • National rivalry games are great for WBB. So it’s good to see ND build their program back after a couple down years. It makes it even better when you can celebrate a “W” over the Irish by slamming the door in the 4th qtr.
  • Nice to see some UConn Royalty at the game today. Sue and Megan looked great. Wondering if Sue might persuade Megan to change her hair
  • snow and dammit. She should have been on the bench I'm thinking.

• color from violet to Husky blue? :rolleyes:
  • Liv played great today at both ends of the court with a double-double against a pretty tough Big in Dodson. That's exactly what UConn needs from Liv.
  • The TD pass just before the half had me doing my maximum vertical at approximately 14 centimeters. :cool:
  • Another solid defensive effort. UConn held ND to 30% shooting, the second game in a row for the Huskies.
  • Obviously, UConn needs a little work attacking a zone defense.
  • Wasn't it great to see Caroline knock down several shot, including her first 3's as a Husky? She made a giant stride today.
  • Clutching my chest when Dodson ran over Paige like a freight train, and then Dara Mabry's flying elbow into her face. In Mabry's case I guess it's just a family tradition.
  • The injury to Paige looked to me like a hyperextension. Praying for good news now, :(
  • One last thought. In the last day several thoughtful BY’ers posted comments lamenting the growing negativity on the BY. As a result, I’ve done some soul searching, as I hope all of us will do. I love everything about UConn WBB, and I feel strongly that the team and coaches deserve our support. As of today, I will strive to be guided by one single principle, “Would I post a similar thought about my own child?” If not, then I will be guided by the sage advice of Herm Edwards to “DON’T HIT SEND!” I urge everyone else on the BY to consider doing the same.
It's designed jibberish.
What a relief.
Frankly I was a little worried about you
But as usual I better worry about myself before the shortcomings of others,…

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A final thought for game day. We should all join Dawn Staley in directing positive energy and wishes toward our Paige. Her magical presence on the court has revitalized me as a fan and her presence off the court has been inspiring as she shows us how to live with each other. As Dawn notes her talent as a player is inspiring to all of WBB. May she find peace as she confronts this challenge.

Reaction Score
Coming over from the equivalent of the Chat room in McGraw's Bench to first say one thing:-

- I hope Paige is a.o.k. given what we saw on the floor. She's too sublime a talent to lose for any period, so serious fingers crossed.

One or two other points:
  • Paige and ONO were the key factors to me. Any time UConn needed something, anything, Paige seemed to orchestrate it. Offense, defense, transition.
  • ONO seems to find the soft spots in ND's zone and lives there. Double doubles the last two games. Well done.
  • This is the first I've seen of Ducharme in extended playing time (that might hold for everyone). She's got nice lift to her jumper and had one nice move to the hoop. Will be interesting to see if those kinds of performances will continue. If so, another addition to the rotation.

As for ND fans, a mixed bag. Very pleased with the freshmen:
  • Miles rolled triple "8's": 8 pts, 8 assists, 8 rebounds, the latter two led the Irish. She can rebound very well for a guard.
  • Citron led the Irish with 19 and wasn't caught up in the moment for a second. Missed some shots I've routinely see her down. However, she keeps coming and gets fouled: 7-8 from the line. Heck, I would've liked to see her just attack the entire 4th quarter: she's 6'1", has hops and knows how to get fouled. At the end of the game, I saw Citron and Paige guarding each other. Not too surprised.
  • UConn defense mitigated most of the rest of the Irish. Heck, Peoples didn't score. Maddy was off: two games in a row, so we've got to get her going.

So, my main takeaways:
  • ND is in good hands with Miles and Citron and KK Bransford will be a great addition to that backcourt next year.
  • And the main one: I really hope Paige is ok. She's the best.
Was introduced to Miles and Citron today
Congratulations
They are for real

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was introduced to Miles and Citron today
Congratulations
They are for real
Miles is very talented but seems to make some poor decisions at times and needs to improve her shooting but she is definitely an elite driver and clever passer.. Citron is Gold. Probably wont score enough to get FOY consideration especially coming off the bench :confused: but she does everything well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom