UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Notre Dame game:
  • National rivalry games are great for WBB. So it’s good to see ND build their program back after a couple down years. It makes it even better when you can celebrate a “W” over the Irish by slamming the door in the 4th qtr.
  • Nice to see some UConn Royalty at the game today. Sue and Megan looked great. Wondering if Sue might persuade Megan to change her hair color from violet to Husky blue? :rolleyes:
  • Liv played great today at both ends of the court with a double-double against a pretty tough Big in Dodson. That's exactly what UConn needs from Liv.
  • The TD pass just before the half had me doing my maximum vertical at approximately 14 centimeters. :cool:
  • Another solid defensive effort. UConn held ND to 30% shooting, the second game in a row for the Huskies.
  • Obviously, UConn needs a little work attacking a zone defense.
  • Wasn't it great to see Caroline knock down several shot, including her first 3's as a Husky? She made a giant stride today.
  • Clutching my chest when Dodson ran over Paige like a freight train, and then Dara Mabry's flying elbow into her face. In Mabry's case I guess it's just a family tradition.
  • The injury to Paige looked to me like a hyperextension. Praying for good news now, :(
  • One last thought. In the last day several thoughtful BY’ers posted comments lamenting the growing negativity on the BY. As a result, I’ve done some soul searching, as I hope all of us will do. I love everything about UConn WBB, and I feel strongly that the team and coaches deserve our support. As of today, I will strive to be guided by one single principle, “Would I post a similar thought about my own child?” If not, then I will be guided by the sage advice of Herm Edwards to “DON’T HIT SEND!” I urge everyone else on the BY to consider doing the same.
It is refreshing to read your post, especially the last point. We here on the BY have to the most SPOILED fanbase in all of WBB. I sometimes gringe at the posts people write following a loss or lackluster win (often less than double digit). I thought joining this forum would allow me to increase and share my fandom, get enlightened, and SUPPORT the team. Many times I have tuned out because of the negativity and overall unreasonableness of many BYers. We forget that these are STUDENT athletes, not professionals, and are between 18-22 years old. Most of us, if not all, could NEVER do what they do, yet many of us often speak as if we are the second coming of James Naismith. There young women all have been the best on their H.S. teams and want to do their best, no matter how it looks to us. I have personally watched all 11 NC games and look forward to #12, but, if the team does not win another N.C., I am sure going to enjoy the greatest run in men or woman's College BB. As MM once said in her press conference (about Geno), we have lost some of the civility on the BY regarding what its purpose is and many have become so spoiled that NOTHING short of a Natty will suffice. Let's pray for Paige's health, but if she is out for the foreseeable future, it's next woman up! I will enjoy this season no matter what the results!

Reaction Score
Olivia's fouls were odd this game. The first three were ticky tack fouls on the offensive end:
q2 at 5:40 backing into Dodson to get position
Q3 at 9:13 going for an offensive rebound, reaching over--hard to see what the foul was
Q3 at 0:38, going for a pass on the offensive end and battling with Dodson for position
In the fourth quarter they were on the defensive end
q4 at 5:52 trying to block Westbeld's shot--ill advised in my mind.
Q4 at 3:41 trying to grab the ball from Dodson when she faced up

What i liked about her defense in the fourth quarter is that she continued to play hard, and not be too reticent to engage because of her foul situation, but she needed to be a bit more careful than she was. All in all she played nearly the whole game. Indeed, she was a real force on the defensive side.

Reaction Score
If UConn’s defense can hold those teams in the forties for scoring then they have a shot to win. UConn is really going to struggle to score without Paige. Especially if the teams play zone against UConn
i'm sorry, did Uconn lose Christyn? She has had no problems scoring, neither has Olivia. More will be expected of players like Caroline but I expect her to live up to the hype she has gotten.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A little fidelity to reality please. It was not a "flying elbow" and Paige was not hit anywhere near her face. It was a pushoff and the contact was in Paige's midsection.

I hate to be that visiting fan but let's not spread lies.
If I mischaracterized the details of the foul, I am sorry. As information, I type my postgame comments sitting in front of the tv in my basement, while the game is going on, looking up and down as I proceed. I try to give as accurate an assessment as possible, but will readily admit I don’t see every replay or closeup. I saw Mabrey’s arm extended with Paige knocked to the floor in real time only. There was no intent to lie.

I am honestly happy that ND is rebuilding their program with some talented players after a couple tough years. The ND-UConn rivalry is good for WBB. I look forward to the game in South Bend next season.

Reaction Score
I
A little fidelity to reality please. It was not a "flying elbow" and Paige was not hit anywhere near her face. It was a pushoff and the contact was in Paige's midsection.

I hate to be that visiting fan but let's not spread lies.
thought it was pretty flagrant. I mean it wasn’t an accident.

Reaction Score
Miles is very talented but seems to make some poor decisions at times and needs to improve her shooting but she is definitely an elite driver and clever passer.. Citron is Gold. Probably wont score enough to get FOY consideration especially coming off the bench :confused: but she does everything well.
I'd say we were introduced today to three players I suspect will play major roles on the WBB stage this winter and in coming years: Citron, Miles and Caroline Ducharme.

Reaction Score
It is refreshing to read your post, especially the last point. We here on the BY have to the most SPOILED fanbase in all of WBB. I sometimes gringe at the posts people write following a loss or lackluster win (often less than double digit). I thought joining this forum would allow me to increase and share my fandom, get enlightened, and SUPPORT the team. Many times I have tuned out because of the negativity and overall unreasonableness of many BYers. We forget that these are STUDENT athletes, not professionals, and are between 18-22 years old. Most of us, if not all, could NEVER do what they do, yet many of us often speak as if we are the second coming of James Naismith. There young women all have been the best on their H.S. teams and want to do their best, no matter how it looks to us. I have personally watched all 11 NC games and look forward to #12, but, if the team does not win another N.C., I am sure going to enjoy the greatest run in men or woman's College BB. As MM once said in her press conference (about Geno), we have lost some of the civility on the BY regarding what its purpose is and many have become so spoiled that NOTHING short of a Natty will suffice. Let's pray for Paige's health, but if she is out for the foreseeable future, it's next woman up! I will enjoy this season no matter what the results!
Great post.
I also look forward to the unfolding story that will be this season.
Who will step up?
Who will assume the leadership position(s)?
Who will shock the hell out of us by reaching down and giving what no one thought they had?
Will they be able to function as a well oiled machine during the absence of their “ master cylinder”?
Gotta tell you- I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.
Props and prayers for Paige.
“Praise the Lord And Pass The Ammunition!”
(throwback for the Seniors)

Reaction Score
I was at the game. The place was filled and it was a great crowd. Lots of energy. I got to campus around 10:45 and it was still a long line to get into the garage. It was so great to be back there for a game for the first time since early 2020.

The halftime show honoring the Olympians was very well done. There was also a well produced video honoring the Olympians. Rebecca Lobo and Sue Bird got the loudest ovations, but the crowd honored everyone. Classy all the way around.

Overall I was pleased with what I saw from UConn, except for the ending of course.

The Notre Dame 2-3 zone gave us loads of trouble. ND is not a very athletic team, but they are smart and they play the passing lanes well. We did a lot of passing around the perimeter. And a lot of ill advised passes. I have never thought that even the best UConn teams feed the post well, but this was something else again. Inexplicable passes. We should have been ahead by more going into the fourth quarter.

On the other hand, Olivia was tremendous, she fought inside tooth and nail all game long. Played like a warrior. Paige was Paige, wonderful. And of course the coming out party for Caroline. She runs the floor well in the half court offense and did not hesitate to shoot. Her first one one or two were long, that is her tendency, but she settled in. Nika hit two big threes in the first half, great to see.

It was weird that a timeout was called by UConn, I think, at 5:02 of the third and then the TV timeout was called one play later at just under the 5 minute mark. So one play was run on about an 8-10 minute time span. The energy left the building during that period and I was concerned that it might not return. But it did.

Azzi Fudd would have made a big difference today from the corners, which seemed to be open against the zone. Christyn is a slasher and that style didn`t seem to work today against the zone.

Paige was in a very awkward position around the foul line when Dodson leveled her. Slow to get up. We got called for a lot of ticky tack fouls in the third period, while the Notre Dame fouls were definitely not ticky tack.

Notre Dame is good but not great. Not much of an inside game. Miles is good but I think that Citron is their best player by quite a bit. She moves well and seems to have that knack some players have of getting open. They will be a tough duo to play against going forward. Notre Dame switched to man-to-man defense at some point early in the fourth quarter but I was very surprised that with 5 or so minutes to go, with Notre Dame down about 17, that ND didn`t press the ball more and at least try to extend the game. It looked like they had conceded at that point.

I thought our defense was good and we rebounded well but I was also surprised at how many open shots Notre Dame missed.

I remember feeling anxious at the beginning of the fourth quarter but then behind Paige and Caroline, and great team defense, the victory was secured. People we reaching for their coats and getting ready to head for the exits when Paige went down. It was a shock to the collective Gampel system and the place suddenly became silent, but also still, like we were all frozen. It was a quiet crowd leaving the building.

Prayers up for Paige.
Thanks for the live info

Reaction Score
With all the negative waves coming out from today's game this is a good positive observation to keep in mind.
Thanks
Wasnt there to see it
A reminder that there are bigger things inlife than NCs
We are all in this together

Reaction Score
Miles is very talented but seems to make some poor decisions at times and needs to improve her shooting but she is definitely an elite driver and clever passer.. Citron is Gold. Probably wont score enough to get FOY consideration especially coming off the bench :confused: but she does everything well.

Reaction Score
If UConn’s defense can hold those teams in the forties for scoring then they have a shot to win. UConn is really going to struggle to score without Paige. Especially if the teams play zone against UConn
Not when Azzie returns and hits her threes

Reaction Score
Do you have a specific example or this just a general complaint?

Why do people look for things to complain about?
Schadenfreude, and bad news is what sells newspapers. It's a human thing

Reaction Score
Time is on her side
The Rolling Stones say so so it must be true

Reaction Score
Amen

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve seen an injury happen like that in a game. Hopefully she’s alright. It looked more like an ankle or hyperextension, but the knee kinda buckling made it look worse.

Ducharme was really fun to watch in the fourth. Looks like Geno might have another scorer.
Hmmm, reminded me of Sales Achilles ankle tear. Another no contact injury.

Reaction Score
In retrospect of course not.

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't presume to have the certainty of outcomes you seem to have about unpredictable events. This was not a situation where a player was hurt earlier in the game, demonstrated pain and a coach insisted she get back in the game and play through an injury causing more damage. In that situation I most certainly would hold a coach accountable.

If your trying to garner support to put blame on Geno by making me think about the consequences of upcoming games it won't work. My attention is to Paige and a speedy recovery. Hopefully the rest of the team steps up in the absence of Azzi and Paige.

There are times for recrimination. This is not one of those times for me. But have at Charliebball.
I think she got hurt at the 6:27 mark, 4th quarter. Fast forward the replay.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Notre Dame 2-3 zone gave us loads of trouble. ND is not a very athletic team, but they are smart and they play the passing lanes well. We did a lot of passing around the perimeter. And a lot of ill advised passes. I have never thought that even the best UConn teams feed the post well, but this was something else again. Inexplicable passes. We should have been ahead by more going into the fourth quarter.
Something that hadn't occurred to me is that, while Geno may not be the best at in-game adjustments, he is a great teacher, and if UConn sees another defense like this, there will be a huge improvement.

You can bet the team will spend some hours in the modern equivalent of the film room over the next few days. Paige will be right there with them telling Nika, Evina, and Christyn where the seams are and how to exploit them.

Reaction Score
  • Paige - She's so underrated on the defensive end, especially her anticipation. Just crafty and so smart in so many different situations. Hope that she is ok, you never like to see any kid suffer through injury. Perhaps a reminder that we do have bench players, and there's no way they can blow a 20 point lead in two minutes. That's a good time to use them.
  • ONO- I thought she played a good game overall, save for the fouls. When we play undersized teams, there is no reason she shouldn't have a double double like this evening.
  • Ducharme- the highlight of the day for me. She's so long and agile, and has the shooting to keep defenses honest. Even though she didn't score until Q4, we went on a run with her in the game at the end of the first half. I thought her presence opened the floor and created opportunities for others. I most like that she is aggressive and moves with purpose on offense. A lot of our older players seem more comfortable hanging around the outside and passing the ball back and forth until Paige creates something. You could visibly see how Paige's intentions shifted when a second offensive threat emerged in Q4.
Overall, not the breakout performance I would have hoped for, but it did feel like a step in the right direction. A quality win against a legitimate top 20 team. Now the focus shifts to hoping Paige is ok.
Good assessment. Ducharme is constant movement. While still confused why UConn's offense to always seems to start 30+ feet from the key, with Geno complaining about the flow, she is one possible answer. One other teams understand her abilty to drive, there will be less pressure on the 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Citron than Miles
Haven't seen the appropriate post to say this, but kudos to Notre Dame for a good job of recruiting and a solid coaching job. Seem them as a top 10 team next year.

Reaction Score
Geno should not have had Paige in the game because you never know when one of those freak injuries will occur from literally dribbling the ball up the court. SMH
I have never held coaches responsible for taking starters out of games. I don't know how you can hold a coach responsible for being defensive and anticipating injuries. I do have an issue with not putting subs in to get them more experience. I would be upset if I had busted tail at practice and couldn't even get a few minutes when the team was up 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom